Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Diversity in alien cultures (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Diversity in alien cultures
jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: I checked out that site and I agree with you. In fact I posted a nearly identical theory on Psi Phi (or was it on one of the previous versions of this site?) a couple of years ago before it went kaput. In addition to his comments I want to add something I included in that original post. The idea that the difference in foreheads seem to be related to some social revolution is also supported by Dax's comments to Martok's wife in "You Are Cordially Invited" in which she says that the Klingons had a disastrous flirtation with democracy that is still being called "the dark period". Timewise it seems to coincide with the ages of Kor and Kang and the TOS period and Martok's wife's reaction was nearly the same sort of anger and embarassment that Worf displayed in Trials and Tribbleations when it was mentioned.

The thing this theory seems to have most in its favor is that its the only one that can be supported by interpretation of canonical facts and quotes. It's strange (and probably a little self-deluding) but I sometimes think that if we can get enough people to accept this definition that the writers may even use it someday and cement it. It certainly makes the most sense to me.

------------------
"A screaming comes across the sky..."

IP: Logged
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Klingons: Tomy Myle's theory is similar tooen I read somewhere: Klingons in contact with the Federation were physically altered so that they could do some spying on the Feds.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrugs*

It's just a matter of budgets and make-up and how both improved with time. Personally, I think it's a little pointless to try to come up with theories regarding the klingon forhead, its just one of those things to which the golden rule of science fiction must be applied.

Golden Rule: Suspend all disbelief

P.S.: The sev trek theory is quite funny though.
------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

[This message was edited by Chimaera on April 01, 1999.]

IP: Logged
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call that Part 1. Part 2: If belief is not suspended, consult Part 1.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I used to advocate just ignoring it, "Trials and Tribble-ations" confirmed that the two kinds of Klingons are different, somehow.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Kor Kang and Koloth, wouldn't be too happy to here you saying that, they would assume themselves to be the same person for the last 150 years...

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I won't go into my Klingon theory (which I'm about to send to the Sev people), but I'll egt back to the "why so many aliens in the UFP but not in the Klingon and Romulan Empires" question. That's kind of like asking why a UN forca has Americans, British, French, etc., but a Russian force only has Russians in it. And I'm not advocationg Klingons' representing the Russians, or anything like that. It's just a real-world example.

Erm... Russia isn't in the UN, is it? If it is, I just rather screwed up...

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russia is not only a member, but they have a veto.

Blush away, TSN!

------------------
COMPONENT EQUIVALENCY NOTICE:
The Subatomic Particles(Electrons, Protons, etc.) Comprising This Product Are Exactly the Same in Every Measurable Respect as Those Used in the Products of Other Manufacturers, and No Claim to the Contrary May Legitimately Be Expressed or Implied.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'oh! *smacks self*

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real Klingon problem is not the two different foreheads but the fact the flat foreheads were only seen in TOS and the ridge foreheads only in TMP and hence. Since it seems ridiculous and little honorable that whole ship crews were surgically altered (why?), the only remaining explanation is that there are two different Klingon races.

TSN: You had better taken the NATO and Russia as example. Still, there are not only Russians in the Russian army...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps