Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Enterprise, Phoenix and time travel

Author Topic: The Enterprise, Phoenix and time travel
Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, i dunno whether its been discussed but perhaps the reason why stuff looks more modern in ENT than TOS was because the timeline was polluted when Picard & Co. helped out with the launch of the phoenix. So the history that we knew as TOS and its design style and wat not was an evolution of previous designs - but when the timeline was polluted, somehow the 'akiraprise' was designed and a more modern design look was developed.
It would be scary if from here on out, we see a 'modernized' Connie (in the silver-gray scheme of Archer's enterprise.)

if this is starting to make me look like a BWC post, please stop me and lock down the thread.

Just an idea to bounce around the forum.

Buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

The BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? I don't post like that!
IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right. I actually understood this topic.

I think the idea is plausible, but lets' look at what design evidence was left behind:

Lily was aboard the E-E for some time and we could argue that she would have had something to do with starship design and construction over the next few decades. But she only saw the ship from the inside.

Cochrane saw the ship from the outside, but it was only about 2 inches big. I doubt he could glean any meaningful details from what he saw in the telescope. The other time he saw the ship, was in space right before it launched torpedoes at him. He was likely too busy trying to control his bowels to pick up much details there either.

However, it's certainly possible that a general design influence stuck around a bit.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would submit it is exceedingly unlikely and totally unnecessary, however. I can "account" for the weirdness of, say, Antonio Gaudi's cathedral without invoking time travelers bringing the secrets of art nouveau from the distant future.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Is that where they got the word "gaudy"?
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all know that all of this is part of the temporal cold war, and things will revert to the crap-tasticular looking ship designs as soon as the series ends.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all know this, huh? Really?

Or, just perhaps, the powers that be, with their stated goal for this series being an opportunity to see the origins of the Trek we already know and love, might, I dunno, be actually making a prequel rather than some alternate timeline St. Elsewhere-ified Trek-like show?

Besides, how could the timeline "revert" to some other version of 22nd century Trek chronology and technology if for all intents and purposes we didn't know of its contents before now. Revert implies changing back to something. Considering the net sum of our knowledge of the 22nd century before Enterprise was about two pages of the Chronology full of almost exclusively conjectural dates and a conjectural starship design, I don't see how this is possible.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose Tim may just be pulling my leg, but I was intrigued enough to spend about twenty seconds looking, and it would appear the word gaudy dates back to 1582, so no, sadly.

Art nouveau architecture is really cool.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should already know I was joking. After all, I keep a dictionary on top of my computer. If I were really wondering about the etymology of "gaudy", I would already have known it before posting.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're so urbane. A dictionary on the computer, who woulda thought when a bookshelf could do the job?
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.m-w.com/ do you speak it?!
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: the original post

Of course, such a theory wouldn't explain why the Phoenix itself, once separated from the launch booster, looks decidedly more advanced than.....say some of the "early" Earth ship models of TOS.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The bookshelf is across the room. The computer is right next to the desk. It's got my dictionary and Trek Encyclopedia on top of it, right at hand.

And I don't really use m-w.com. I'm on campus, and the school subscribes to oed.com (Oxford English Dictionary), so I use that. In what other dictionary could you find the etymology of "d'oh"?

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the simpsons dictionary.
IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps