Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$For all the continuity hounds...$$$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$$For all the continuity hounds...$$$
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, again, how many different Vulcans did we see doing telepathic stuff within 100 years of Enterprise? Spock, who was very young and odd in other ways; once with Sarek, who only did it to determine whether Kirk carried Spock's katra; and the group of Vulcans who transfered said katra back to it's usual housing, and who were very surprised at Sarek's request that they do so. After that, you wait until TNG, where the first time I recall seeing a mind meld was Sarek again, then Spock again. Then nothing until Tuvok, who was born over a hundred years after Enterprise, and was also a bit unconventional in his youth.

Unfortunately, this isn't Babylon 5. We really DON'T know that much about all the races.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spock was half-Human, if that is your definition of "odd". So regardless of that, for being half human he seems to have extraordinary telepathic abilities, again melding with Nomad, the Horta, sensing V'Ger...and of course sensing a starship die:

quote:
SPOCK: Doctor, even I, a half-Vulcan,
could hear the death scream of 400 Vulcan minds
crying out over the distance between us.
MCCOY: Not even a Vulcan could feel a starship die.
SPOCK: Call it a deep understanding of the way things happen to Vulcans...

This was established early very early in the series (episode 11):
quote:

SPOCK (in ships log): I must now use an ancient Vulcan technique to probe into Van Gelder's tortured mind.
SPOCK (RE: a mind meld): It's a hidden, personal thing to the Vulcan people, part of our private lives.

'Ancient' is typically longer than 110 years and, well, "Stigma" and "Fusion" made it sound nasty dirty (hence the whole 'AIDS' tie-in), which seems to contradict something Spock almost describes as sacred. Had Enterprise set up mind melds or whatnot as a 'long lost' Vulcan religious-blah-blah-technique that is currently being rediscovered, versus a social stigma, then I can see how it might fit as an 'ancient' technique with is once again being practiced and keeping continuity in place better than B&B are handling it.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, when it became less of a stigma, it got promoted from "dirty old thing" to "ancient noble technique". You'd be amazed at what a little PR can do for you.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was further discussing this with a buddy of mine and he had a point - in Search for Spock, at the end of the movie when the Fal-Tor-Pan is perform, the priestess says something that adds further question to this 100 year theory...
quote:

PRIESTESS
Sarek... Child of Skon... Child of
Solkar. The body of your son
breathes still. What is your
wish?

SAREK
I ask for Fal-Tor-Pan, the
refusion.

PRIESTESS
What you seek has not been done
since ages past -- and then, only
in legend. Your request is not
logical.

SAREK
Forgive me, T'Lar. My logic
falters where my son is
concerned.

I suppose "Legend" and "Ages Past" means - "It hasn't been done for a few years - we'll manage" ??

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and further to this -- and Now i think i'm just over-thinking...

But if telepathic or psionic displays are illegal or frowned upon as invasions of one's mind..

How did they deal with Pon-Farr?? The entire ritual of the 'bonding' of mates (the fingers touching and the calming of the 'blood') was entirely a telepathic experience, as demonstrated in SFS when Saavik and a young Spock bonded in the caves of Genesis!

*shrugs*

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vulcans went from logical, spiritual masters of the mind to annoying prejudiced pointy-ears. In spandex.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alshrim:
How did they deal with Pon-Farr?? The entire ritual of the 'bonding' of mates (the fingers touching and the calming of the 'blood') was entirely a telepathic experience, as demonstrated in SFS when Saavik and a young Spock bonded in the caves of Genesis!

Well, Vulcans seem at the very least to be embarrassed by Pon Farr, and at the most ashamed of it. Part of that shame could be the fact that they are forced to do a smelly dirty mind meld in it.

After all, Victorians were ashamed of sex, but they were still bonking like crazy.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, it may only be wanting to meld that's wrong. It's like Catholics' view of sex. It's a wonderful thing, as long as you make babies and you don't like it.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I hate to do this, but that's not really the Catholic view. You are allowed to enjoy sex, as long as you do it with your partner. Who you are married to. And as long as they are of the opposite sex. And as long as you don't use precautions.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shame about those dyslexic priests that read 'of the opposite sex' as 'young boys'. But let's not go into that.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

*ducks and runs*

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is one of the larger slip ups in continuity. The worst part is... it probably wouldn't have been that hard to make it work with what's already been established and still bring up the issue.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...especially when most of it was all established in the TOS era long before the spin offs came and starting mucking with things. If Enterprise is supposed to be a prequal, it should focus what is supposed to immediately follow it...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ooh, priests and young boys. ORIGINAL COMEDY MATERIAL!!!

I still think it fits, personally. The mind meld thing, not the young boys. But I try and make things easy. On myself. Not on young boys.

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Braga wants one good example? Fine.

First Contact with Klingons.

As you know, according to Picard, it was a disaster and it led to many centuries of hostilities. Yes, I know that it was meant as a throwaway line, without any actual thought how it fits into continuity, but then again, whole seasons of DS9 and VOY are like that and they're still canon [Smile]

So, was FC in Enterprise a disaster? Hardly. Yeah, we had Klaang shot by farmer, but Vulcan High Command immetiadely smoothed things over and arranged for transporting "corpse" back to Kronos.
And Enterprise did even better, delivering Klaang alive.

I would hardly call this situation "a disaster". Hell, even producers thought that Klingons actually owe humans a favor after that (as mentioned by Archer).
(and keep in mind that any later actions that will probably indeed lead to the "centuries of hostilities" are compeletely different thing.)

So, there you have, mr Braga - your requested continuity violation.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps