Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Where's the Navigator? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Where's the Navigator?
Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, does anybody know why ENT doesn't have a navigator, like in TOS? At first I thought T'pol was with all the "exploring Vulcan Starcharts" but that seemed sorta stupid cause what's the purpose of our favorite litle Russian?

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chekov was there basically to cater to the younger Beatles/Monkees mop-top generation.

....and this has been discussed before.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Essentially: Star Trek bridges (and I'm speaking in practical terms here, not, uh, Star Trek universe ones) only have four or five consoles that do anything important on a regular basis. Basically, Enterprise doesn't have a navigator because it has a tactical console. (And tactical-type duties were what Chekov and his predecessors spent much of their time doing anyway.)

It suddenly occurs to me that one difference between the bridge on Enterprise and those of previous shows is a lack of extra bridge stations. TOS had some, though it never used them. (Was their any actual set to Spock's left, even?) TNG had its handy aft section, convenient for plot explication when one doesn't want to have to break for a scene in the observation lounge. And there were whole wings of Ops in DS9 which were barely glimpsed, and whose function remains mysterious. Voyager streamlined things a bit, though they had those engineering and science consoles available on the rare chance they were required. I don't have anything witty to say about the Defiant, though her bridge seemed to have lots of extra space.

And yes, I'm sure I've probably said all this before in one of those earlier threads alluded to.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chekov really did nothing. Even in STII all he does is fire torpedos (Sulu is still flying the ship, navigating and firing the phasers: albiet poorly in the phaser dept.)

DS9's extra stations were probably for all that ore processing that Terok Nor did back in the good ol' days of the occupation.
The stations were likely replaced with tactical stations once DS9 became a hornet's nest of firepower.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I am wondering now is, What did navigators do in TOS? (besides plotting the course)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, that would be it. It was their job description after all. Although I imagine "plotting the course" would have been a good deal more complex when you are dealing with unknown space and the 5 billion scary SFX things that seemed to exist in Kirk's time.

Although you could make the assumption that it wasn't the most complex of jobs, since Chekov seemed to be able to double as science officer when needed anyway.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

So what was the use of Chekov? Sulu could do that in a heartbeat along with his other jobs.
(I don't think he would of minded the extra desk space either...)

Chekov could be helping the Chef with the magic food dispenser funnel

I can imagine it now....

"Checkov I need some bowtie pasta with meat sauce!"

"You know thatz veally funny cause' the Vrussians invented meat sauce..." : [Smile]

Blair

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy...

Primarily, on TOS, Chekovs' job were (and this list is compiled from about 6 episodes that come to mind that he played some sort of role in):
  • to compute, plot/lay in ships course and speed whilst travelling from Point A to Point B.
  • to coordinate with engineering for various tasks, including how much speed the ship will need or relaying the damage report.
  • to perform as the tactical officer, as he is noted many times alerting the crew of enemy vessels on his sensors, as well as determining such things as what an enemy vessels armaments are, as well as coordinating with regional intellegence.
  • to have shared control over the shields and phasers, including calculating targeting scanners and scoring hits and misses.
  • to calculate the point of origin, or tracking local incoming phenonmena, such as shuttles or enemy weapons/vessels.
  • to coordinate docking of shuttlecraft.

There is bunches more, but thats just a taste of what he has been seen doing, menial or otherwise. It does appear that the Navigator and Helm do share many similiar duties, probably accounting for reorganization of those two positions (+ Uhuras job) into the 3 positions of Conn, Ops and Tactical.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly - but what would cause a change TOWARDS that from the Enterprise-era divisions of Helmsman, Tactical and Comm?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Simplier ship?

Enterprise has a armory officer on the bridge who manages the weapons and T'Pol seems to manage whats incoming and where things are and where to go, all Travis does in drive the ship and sit there with a silly grin.

Maybe once Earth had progressed into space, made its share of unwelcome encounters and grew as a power and established an effective space fleet, the need to recoordinate the ships bridges to accomodate larger crews and duties to actaully be more prepared then they were when the keel of the Enterprise was layed which was at a time prior to knowing what was out there and how they intended to coordinate their ship when they did encounter it.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Travis drives the ship as well?!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what else does he do? Apart from smiling. And breaking legs.

quote:
would of
"Would have".

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
to calculate the point of origin, or tracking local incoming phenonmena, such as shuttles or enemy weapons/vessels.

That's "veapons/wessels," actually. [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
to calculate the point of origin, or tracking local incoming phenonmena, such as shuttles or enemy weapons/vessels.

That's "veapons/wessels," actually. [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

And wussians invented all shuttles, wessels and phenomena. [Wink]
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
And wussians invented all shuttles, wessels and phenomena. [Wink]

*Sigh*

Jason, you are so silly. Everybody knows it's "inwented." [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps