Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$ Anomaly $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Anomaly $$
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone saw it, no need for a plot summary.

Archer tortured a guy! Ok, this is just ... coming out of left field? I mean, he's like Picard from "Yesterday's Enterprise" and Sisko from "In the Pale Moonlight", except YE Picard wasn't "our" Picard, and Sisko was "our" Sisko, but one brutalized by some pretty nasty situations. Somewhere down the line, Archer's behavior is going to get out of hand to the point one of his crew is going to take actions against him. Why is he taking the Xindi attack so ... personally? Reed at least still had a sliver of his humanity about him.

Cool brig. It has doors. Such a simple concept, Starfleet ship designers in the future should be bitch smacked.

At least Hoshi gets some stuff to do.

I'm sure this occured to me before, and to some of you, but I didn't watch much of ENT's second season ... do Denebulans (sp?) look like a cousin of the Cardassians to anyone else?

So ... they find a ship, are on guard against pirates ... and then the pirates just totally ransack 'em? Is it not standard policy to put security dudes around when you're expecting to be boarded? Then again, would a transporter boarding be expected? Then again, shouldn't Archer be expecting the unexpected?

Well, I liked it. We've had our Hero Ships boarded before, but even in TNG's "Die Hard" episode, there wasn't much to be gained by stopping the terrorists - "Oh no, they stole something we need, we'll just get it shipped over from Starbase Six..." Here, though, at least the consequences of the boarding (and the crewmember's death) FEEL very real.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn good episode.

Definitely a frantic feel to the episode and the camera work during the airlock decompression scenr was great and jerky in an intentionally nervous way: it jerks back and forth between Archer and Reed insttead of clean cutting between them.

The moment between Reed and Trip was really good.
I mean Deep Space Nine kinda good.
Trip's frustration and exhaustion is a palpable thing in that scene.

Good to know Reed's still there and not freaking out like everyone else.

Of course, all his family was well out of the Xindi weapons path o' destruction too. [Wink]

You guys catch the stembolts refrence?
I laughed: Stembolts are BIG.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: yes! How much you wanna bet those are the same stembolts that Jake and Nog are going to get their hands on in "Progress"?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but were they self-sealing stem bolts?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They may not have had self sealing stembolts that far back....
Jake and Nog's haul of Stembolts must have filled a whole cargo hold!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Did Quark buy them back? He was trying to unload some stembolts in "Prophet Motive."

Also - did the music in the episode, the sickbay segment, remind anyone of the score when Crusher was trying to revive Yar?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Your bringing up "Skin of evil" just underscores how good tonight's episode truly was.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
?

I liked some of the camera work, especially when they first boarded the derelict craft in the beginning.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The things Reed was waving his scanner at are NOT stembolts. I think they're the same props that were wpent reactor casings (or whatever they were) from "The Seventh" last year. I guess stembolts come in different sizes. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect there's a noticeable difference between a 22nd-century stembolt, and a 24th-century self-sealing stembolt.
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the ep.. Very Gritty! Lots of tension. Great camera work..
And I think Archer's taking this personally because his best friend's sister croaked in the Xindi attack .. not to mention that he's the captain of the starfleet flag-ship - and maybe feels a responsibility to get to the bottom of things.

It was good to see Reed in charge of the 'Marine-types' .. they are pretty green, aren't they?

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, definately a SFx bonanza, and I loved the noticably different camera work too. In fact, the times that the Enterprise entered/exited the distortion and approached that 'mini-me' Dyson sphere the camera work and intensity felt like that of TWoK when 1701 was first approached Regula....and the zoomed in fly-by with the ominous music while they were waiting in ambush...very wraith of khanny!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I find the idea of torture pretty reprehensible, and I wasn't at all happy to see it used here.

That said, it was a pretty stupidly done scene. You wouldn't die near instantly when exposed to a vacuum. And if the air was almost gone, the alien couldn't have heard Archer or Archer heard him. In space, no one can hear you _______.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Personally, I find the idea of torture pretty reprehensible, and I wasn't at all happy to see it used here.

Were the "goodies" or "badies" doing the torturing? Because if it's the badies...do you want them to not do anything you don't think is nice? That'll make the plot a touch boring, don'tcha think?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.