Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$ Anomaly $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Anomaly $$
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was ARCHER who was doing the torturing. With Reed and Generic Security Guy standing right behind him. Although Reed was shocked to see his captain going crazy, he didn't do anything.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was great. It added grit to it.. Showed that there they weren't as 'refined' as people thought...

It shows also that Archer is RIGHT on the edge. He can teeter either way - and he's having trouble dealing with the death of a good friend - the destruction of so much on his planet... and he wants revenge! When you want justice - no matter what - it begs the question, how far are you willing to go to get it.

Well.. obviously - he's willing to shuck away his morality a bit!! That's human nature!

In the end... He lets the guy go ! *shrugs* again evidence of this teetering moral conflict.

I just like the grittiness of it all.. He's saying... "Fuck being the good guy all the damned time !! It's time i show people that they can't push me around all the time, damnit!"

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that Reed would HAVE to react to Archer acting crazy, for it to be believable. The Pirate was all ready to just stand in the airlock until he passed out, knowing that he would just be put back in his cell. That's harder to do when you start believing your gonna die. I notice that they didn't have the other characters commenting on Archer.. I still think he's coffee cup is just getting on his nerves.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often feel like tossing jerks out the airlock when I don't get my caffine.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

BWAHAHAHAHAA !!!!

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I often feel like tossing jerks out the airlock when I don't get my caffine.

using 'tossing' and 'jerk' in the same sentence gives your statement intercontinental barroom hilarity
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It was ARCHER who was doing the torturing."

If Janeway, after one of her many Batesian mood swings, could get away with it in Equinox, so can Johnny.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rewatched, i just saw that the MACOs suiting up wore a red undershirt under their EVA suits..

the first redshirts...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The casualties ought to start racking up soon then.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn fine episode. The tension in Archer is so palpable. This is quite a turn from the "Trying to be a good boy" Archer from the first season, and I can see why he is so frustrated. Imagine starting out as one of the first interstellar explorers, hoping to find other cultures with similar interests in exploring and learning new things...only to find out that a great deal of them are greedy, destructive and violent.
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're really making it look like Archer is taking seven million casulties, personally and looking for somebody to blame. It's understandable, considering that HE, personally, is out there to protect Earth from having it happen again. That would stress anybody out, not to mention all the Xindi skullduggery.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A story with Archer ticking off was about to come sooner or later. Interestingly, it seems every Trek captain so far has exactly one person or thing that makes him (or her) go berserk:

Kirk - Klingons (well, Khan would probably count too)
Picard - Borg
Sisko - Eddington
Janeway - Ransom
Archer - Xindi

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case any of you aren't fans of classic sf, the airlock interrogation scene is pretty much a redo of the one from Heinlein's 'Rocketship Gallileo'.

Same result in the end. It is easy to face death in the abstract - less easy when the breath is whistling out of your lungs - and the lower end of your GI tract is venting as well.

I see no problem with the tactic in regards to Archer's character. Yes, he's taking his role of 'Earth's Protector' seriously - but then, until other starships come online, NX-01 is it so far as Earth's survival.

I was watching the episode in company, and our first commercial comment was: "looks like Archer grew himself a pair."

We've seen the evolution of ethics throughout Trek (right up to Picard, who sometimes seems downright goody-goody - and this is the closest era to ours.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps