Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Universal Up and Down (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Universal Up and Down
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time starships meet, even when they come from the other part of the galaxy, the seem to fly with the right side up, while in the 'real' universe there is no up or down. I have never seen a scene with one ship up-side-down or something like that.

I can think of a non-Star Trek solution. Its the easiest way of filming the models. But that shouldn't be a problem with the CGI's they use now most of the times.

I don't think there is any believable Star Trek answer to this 'problem'

------------------
"There will be an answer, let it be..."
Motto of the USS Sutherland

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is one of those things that everybody knows about and just ignores (like the noises the ships make even in the vacuum of space). Some people have come up w/ ideas here and there (such as maybe there is some sort of subspace plane that the ships have to run parallel to at warp), but, basically, it's just something that, if you like, can be accepted/ignored.

------------------
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the 'net, and he won't bother you for weeks.

adam
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm... I do recall That in "All Good Thing..." The Futuristic Ent-D came "up" to attack the "level" Klingon ships attacking the Pastuer. But you are right, it is something that is accepted as "normal"
IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best explaination I have heard is that it is an almost universal custom to orient your ship "rightside up" when approaching another vessel, with the possible exception of ships meeting for battle.

A valid point has also been made above, in that since the ships always appear "right-side-up" on screen, this allows the SFX folks to give us (the audience) additional information without having to waste time with on-screen exposition. Just as the sound effects let us know without a doubt that the ship we see moving across the screen is in motion, and not the camera, we know immediately what's happening when we see a familiar vessel type starting to list: "something's wrong".

The use of this sort of cinematic shorthand can be compared to the old western B-movie practice of putting the badguys in black hats and the good guys in white hats. The people in the movie never seemed to recognize this was happening, but the audience did. This allowed the movie maker to get the action going without wasting any time setting up the situation so the audience would know what was going on.

We need no further explaination than that, unless you also propose to answer why the good guys never seemed to notice the villains always wore black hats and started arresting them as soon as they appeared.

--Baloo

------------------
You can't seriously want to ban alcohol. It tastes great, makes women appear more attractive, and makes a person virtually invulnerable to criticism.
--Mayor Quimby
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited December 16, 1999).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also a great scene in "Sacrifice of Angels" where the Klingons swoop in from "above' and start trashing Dommie ships. KICK A$$!! I loved that shot!

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, anyone remember the TNG episode where everyone onboard the Enterprise-D de-evolved? Well, Picard and Data on the shuttle had to adjust the shuttle's position to dock in the shuttlebay.

------------------
He can't be unoriginal
The way I feel is sexual
The way I feel is sexual.

He can't be just intellectual
The way I feel is sexual
The way I feel is sexual
When you're next to me.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question is, how did they get the shuttlebay door open?

"Data, open the shuttlebay doors."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Jean-Luc..."

------------------
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the 'net, and he won't bother you for weeks.

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Justin_Timberland: Yes, but the Ent-D was listing because she was disabled. Usually ships in trouble are shown off-kilter. Now that I think about it, wasn't she actually rolling? It's been a while since I've seen that episode.

I have a theory about the orientation issue, but I'm too tired to post it right now...

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Caretaker you can see the Voyager and the Maquis ship at an angle...

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the Lakota and the Defiant met each other, you can see the Lakota correct it's position as if it was coming from an angle from 'above' (relative to the Defiant).

------------------
Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free annual trip around the sun!

(-=\V/=-)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In STII, the Reliant seems to perform a roll to match the attitude of the Enterprise. In STVI, Valeris performs a maneuver to come alongside Qo'noS One which also arrives at a distinct angle: "Right standard rudder, Z plus five degrees" (although I don't understand why Z, normally a vertical translation, is given in degrees like rotation...).

What seems illogical is not so much why ships maintain this common "up" even in battle, but why the ships of the opponent do not take *advantage* of this in battle. If Starfleeters are stupid enough to stay in one plane, Klingons or other baddies could all attack from above where no Fed ship can fire torpedoes because the saucers are in the way!

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, all this talk about course corrections makes me think we're on to something here. By the time we see most ships together, they've already detected each other and have altered course to meet. Get that, they've already had to change their course and heading; why not their orientation too? The few times we see ships approaching at skewed angles is usually in battle or when a ship is damaged. No time or ability to match orientation there. But wouldn't an intercept course almost always require some sort of matching orientation? My 2 cents.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: I agree. A (cartesic?) z coordinate hardly makes sense, since the ship directions are usually given in headings or bearings, both in degrees. And where is the required second coordinate for the course? However, z could mean rotation around the z-axis. This would be a possible course for a ship moving in an x-y plane (cartesic), but why use such coordinates in a round galaxy, solar system or planet orbit? If it's a rho-phi plane (cylindric), which would make some sense in a solar system, it is obvious to use phi instead.

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")

[This message has been edited by Bernd (edited December 17, 1999).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I might be way off here... but could the z degrees be like this

*moves hand*

like a see-saw...

\...|
.\..|
..\.|
../\|
----

that above is like a 60 degree angle... where x and y directions would be right angles but going into the screen...

Andrew

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited December 17, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited December 17, 1999).]

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pitch of the ship is controled by the RCS (Reaction Control System) - It is automatic. It sets pitch and vector constantly, tho' one can set it manually.

This is right out of the ST:TM:

Spacecraft Intercept

This requires Conn to specify a target spacecraft on which a tactical sensor lock has been established. This also requires Conn to specify either a relative closing speed r an intercept time so that a speed can be determined. An absolute warp velocity can also be specified. navigational software will determine an optimal flight path based on specified speed and tactical projection of target vehicle's flight path. (** I'd imagine that would include pitch and vector) Several variations of this mode are available for use druing combat situations.

So, in essense, the computer takes care of that for you, based on the the target ship's relative positions and vector.

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.