Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Help with a classical piece from Generations

Author Topic: Help with a classical piece from Generations
Howard
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an old episode, called something like "where silence has lease" or something the like. It is when the Enterprise encounters a being of vast power who wishes to use half of the crew to do some tests, because it was intrigued by the idea of "death" (this being has no knowledge of anything other than infinite existence).

Anyways... Picard decides to set an autodestruct rather than sacrifice half his crew, and during the time when he is sitting in his quarters alone there is a piece of classical music playing in the background. Can anyone help me identify this? I really liked that piece and have been asking around to no avail.

IP: Logged
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest a trip to the local video store...=)

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my mother, (and her encyclopaedic knowledge of such matters), he was listening to:
"Gymnopedie No.3" by a Frenchman named Satie.

------------------
"Is there anyone there with a gun?"
- On the Hour

Howard
Ex-Member

wow!

Thanks a lot Montgomery!!! And please send word of thanks to your mother as well, she is right on the dot (I was able to find a short sample of Gymnopedie No.1 and it sounded similar). Simply amazing.

Again, thanks a lot! You won't believe for how long I have been asking about this. Your mom is amazing hehe.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want a cool album, that samples this music, look out for an album by an Australian called 'Endorphin' - his album is called 'Embrace' - I've seen him live twice - he does sort of electronica/dance/ethereal music - really cool...

there are two tracks on there that sample satie: satie 1 and satie 2...

it says try www.sony.com.au

out on columbia

serial number 489821 2 really cool

Andrew

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember hearing that music in the episode. I would know it, I played it in orchestra last year.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Howard
Ex-Member

Thanks for the tip Andrew, I will look into that...

Shipmaster:

I am positive that the song is in the episode. He is sitting alone in his room, on one of those funky single person couches, and he is listening to the song (in the semi darkened room). I believe Counselor Troy and/or Data comes in to talk to him. Not VERY sure if that is the sequence of events but it seems to be from memory.

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's listening to it as Troi and Data come in and try to talk him out of the self distruct. Turns out to be Nagelum trying to trick him. Good early episode.

------------------
The Naked Now

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps