Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Vague spoilers for season four. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Vague spoilers for season four.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trektoday.com/news/060704_02.shtml

High-concept mini-arcs, huh? Well, we'll see. It sounds pretty strange.

There's also a description of the season premiere at Trektoday, though not at this particular link, since those spoilers aren't all that vague.

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I hear Rick Berman using the term "high concept", I get nervous.

"We've got a couple of them that I think are going to have some big surprises and things that will hearken back to perhaps The Original Series. We'll bring in some actors, and possibly some characters, that are very familiar to our audience."

Besides the Shatner rumors persistently floating around, I wonder what characters this may refer to? Trelane perhaps?

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's sort of an odd choice. Any particular reason that character came to mind?

(Though: Trelane had pretty obviously never actually met humans in person prior to "Squire of Gothos," to be a huge nerd about it.)

I've been thinking about that particular passage, and I think that's probably exactly the wrong direction for Enterprise to go. If I want to watch TOS I can buy it. If I want to do nothing with my TV drama time other than wallow in nostalgia I can watch TV Land. I mean, would this work for any other show? "On our new Law & Order, Special Investigators of Wire Fraud, we're going to go back and capture what made Dragnet so successful?" I guess the sad answer is yes, since they remade Dragnet. And it failed miserably. (Actually, I guess it got a whole season and maybe a little extra, which is not too bad these days. Hmm.)

But, what I am getting at is this, I think: You can't go partially retro in a science fiction show. Either it's an attempt to look at the present via the conceit of the future, or it isn't. And Star Trek, despite presenting a future thought up back when the microprocessor was still a gleam in Marcian Hoff's eye, has never been intentionally retro.

Basically, I read that as an attempt to get back into the "mainstream," which is just a laughable goal, because it hardly exists anymore. Paramount, I suspect, is, like any organization, expert at doing what worked twenty years ago, and less skilled at doing what works today, or will tomorrow.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some if the refrences to the Original Series might be simple things like planets we've not really heard from since then (we've already had Corridan, haven't we?)

Also, they seperate familiar acters and familiar characters. Perhaps we'll see a former regular's ancestor(s)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

No, that isn't quite what I meant. There's a difference between playing off the events of the show and trying to copy its "feel," for lack of a better word.

(Confession: I had to look up the inventor of the microprocessor, of course.)

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
That's sort of an odd choice. Any particular reason that character came to mind?

(Though: Trelane had pretty obviously never actually met humans in person prior to "Squire of Gothos," to be a huge nerd about it.)

I just picked Trelane because I was trying to think of some characters which could be portrayed on Enterprise being that's it's over 100 years earlier. RedJac and Sarek or T'Pau could also be used as well as others, but Trelane just sprung to mind as an example off the top of my head because he's a sort of Q-like figure (and no, I'm not basing that off the Peter David novel) that could mess with the crew. As I understood that passage they said they may use some characters from TOS, not ancestors of characters, which would lead me to believe that would require either time travel to the future or some long-lived people / aliens / entities from TOS.

As for Trelane never having met Humans, I haven't seen the episode in at least 20 years, so I don't recall, but I'll take your word for it and therefore withdraw him as a possibility.

Your point about not trying to copy the feel of TOS is a valid one, and I think trying to bring on recognizable characters is simply trying to pander to the audience because that's what Berman (It's going to feel weird not being able to blame B & B anymore [Wink] ) thinks people want. I would be perfectly content for Enterprise to not feature any characters from the future shows and just do it's own thing.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he should pay me to come up with "high concepts."

because that's when i spend a lot of time conceptualizing

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I am king nerd or something: As I recall, Sarek isn't born until a few years after 2161. (Vague and yet pompous!) ((He is just a little over 100 in "Journey to Babel," I think.))

Enterprise, of course, has certain built-in excuses for time-travel hijinks not present in most of its predecessors.

(I would lose all of my carefully constructed ironic detachment if Enterprise came across, say, a time-displaced Constitution class gleaming with 21st century digital shine.)

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

Dammit! I've got to get the TOS DVD's I guess. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I checked into Sarek's age to see if we'd be able to see him or not. I'm a nerd who just doesn't remember things.

Oh, and though not a TOS reference, Guinan would be alive at this point in time.

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

True, she's got to hitch a ride back to El Aurian at some point before 2293 just to see it get obliterated by the Borg.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which actually begs the question: How did Guinan get to Earth in the first place? Not that 19th century Earth would be that difficult a place to land a starship without being detected...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did it all the time

maybe she caught Gary Sevens longrange transporter

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only TOS character that I can think of that could show up on ENT without time travel would be Flint. And I don't know that people would find him "very familiar".
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG u guys

THINK ABOUT IT [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

HE MEANS "TOS'S NAZIS" WILL BE "ON" ENTERPRISE!

THINK ABOUT IT, Sergeant Politeness!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps