Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Series VI? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Series VI?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone read this article? It has certainly piqued my curiosity.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paramount doesn't appear to be shopping for TV Trek. Considering the other attempts which have been rejected, I would saw don't get your hopes up.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because they're not shopping doesn't mean this pitch doesn't have a chance. Especially if they get the right producer to back it.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to say it, but the biggest argument against this concept would be the confusion from having Treks from two different timelines. As much as I despise the changes in the NuTrek timeline, that's where attention should stay.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abramsverse should be blown out of the water. Repeat after me, it does not exist. It is the imagination of someone who does not fully understand Trek.

Getting back to this, I doubt it would ever happen, I'd say we need to wait a few more years without Trek shows or Trek movies before they can consider reviving the franchise.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as much as you hate the JJ-verse, its all we have plus its still better than what currently exists in the old timeline. I mean, does STO count? (pretty sure nope. but if STo was considered cannon, then any Post TNG TV show will still be pigeon toe-ed into the continuity funnel... maybe.

then again, maybe TNG-XXX will be cannonized too...

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Here’s the Teaser: If evil wore the face of a hero, would you recognize it? If freedom came in the likeness of your oppressors, would you accept it? If you were your own enemy, who would be victorious?
Why does this instantly bring a picture to mind of a battle between the Mirror Universe and the Trek(Normal) Universe? I swear I saw something like this in a comic book years ago.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Abramsverse should be blown out of the water. Repeat after me, it does not exist. It is the imagination of someone who does not fully understand Trek.

It's my firm belief that the events of the movie did NOT create an alternate timeline. What actually happened is that First Contact created the alternate timeline, and what we saw that came chronologically after that was separated from TOS and the modern Trek shows.

In other words, Nero was blown into the Enterprise universe. No wonder he was so pissed.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:

It's my firm belief that the events of the movie did NOT create an alternate timeline. What actually happened is that First Contact created the alternate timeline, and what we saw that came chronologically after that was separated from TOS and the modern Trek shows.

In other words, Nero was blown into the Enterprise universe. No wonder he was so pissed.

That's the thing, though...who do we believe? The producers of the actual film, who say that the pre-Nero-incursion was the actual Prime universe, or some guy on a Star Trek internet BBS who's of the opinion that the "incursion" took place much earlier, and that none of this has anything to do with TOS?

Now that's not saying that I disagree with your opinion, Minutiaeman. As a matter of fact, I used to have a similar belief. Hell, I never thought ENTERPRISE existed in the original TOS canon anyway from the first episode, which established that a Temporal Cold War was going on which might have already been changing history. Also, things like the Xindi attack, which Daniels explicitly stated was NOT supposed to happen, happened and wasn't undone. Of course one could also argue that Daniels didn't come from the Prime universe either.

But that's beside the point. As far as Star Trek '09 is concerned, I'd be inclined to agree with you if there wasn't all kinds of evidence that Spock Prime was the same guy from TOS. If that's the case, why would he and Nero have ended up in the "Enterprise universe" if they weren't from it to begin with?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Teh PW
Member # 1203

gotta love temporal mechanics... everything HAS and HAS NOT happened...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
That's the thing, though...who do we believe? The producers of the actual film, who say that the pre-Nero-incursion was the actual Prime universe, or some guy on a Star Trek internet BBS who's of the opinion that the "incursion" took place much earlier, and that none of this has anything to do with TOS?

Oh, I know. It's just a pet theory to satisfy a rabid fan's refusal to ignore the illogical inconsistencies between the different shows' appearances. Or the fact that one change in the timeline wouldn't cause technology to look and operate completely different. And so on.

Some people are fine overlooking the differences. I can suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy the movie on its own merits. But behind the scenes in my brain there's the guy who took a class on the metaphysics of time travel who knows that the entire explanation is bullshit. (Even moreso than many other time travel stories.)

--------------------

Teh PW
Member # 1203

funny thing... i finished reading the first Rom War (under the raptor's wing) from the Ent-line of paperbacks... and they came up with a funny ass way to justify the TOS look: the Prefix Code. the NX-class ships have been dropping like flies because of the Rom Remote control thingie they do to pre-feddy ships. counter-measure? a big step backwords in how the ships controls are build. They decided to mass produce the Dadaleus-class with the warp-5 engines and primative controls, that are described as very TOS-sounding.

yeah its a book. no it might not be offical cannon but the ideas they create might become cannon...

and i was told i might be needing bifocals from the eye doc. Holy Fuckballs

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But that's beside the point. As far as Star Trek '09 is concerned, I'd be inclined to agree with you if there wasn't all kinds of evidence that Spock Prime was the same guy from TOS.

Actually, I partially base my separation of the Abramsverse from the Prime universe on the fact that there's so much evidence that the '09 movie Spock *isn't* our Spock.

Down toward the bottom of:
http://www.st-v-sw.net/weblog/2009/05/star-trek-reaction-spoilers_10.html

Also:
http://www.st-v-sw.net/weblog/2009/06/trek-2009-what-our-spock-could-done.html

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
quote:
But that's beside the point. As far as Star Trek '09 is concerned, I'd be inclined to agree with you if there wasn't all kinds of evidence that Spock Prime was the same guy from TOS.

Actually, I partially base my separation of the Abramsverse from the Prime universe on the fact that there's so much evidence that the '09 movie Spock *isn't* our Spock.

Down toward the bottom of:
http://www.st-v-sw.net/weblog/2009/05/star-trek-reaction-spoilers_10.html

Also:
http://www.st-v-sw.net/weblog/2009/06/trek-2009-what-our-spock-could-done.html

ok. most of the rants are bullshit, if, a BIG IF, you consider some of the explainations propped up from STO, like the destruction to Romulus occuring because the wave was sub-space based, thus sped up dramatically, changing the estimated arrival of the physical greatly. Spock did not had the time he thought he had, thus Romy go boom.

im too tired to look at the others one. ill check em tommorrow afternoon if the GF's minions let me... hmmm i glanced and i change my opinion. ALL of his ideas are bullshit. He presumed that Nero was ignorant of time travel... guess what? 99% of the universe is probably ignorant of time travel, intentionally. If the slingshot manuever or existance of the Guardian of Forever was common knowledge, every fucktwat in the galaxy would be either burning up or causing infinite fuckstains to the timeline (usually for their own percieved profit). Danials and futureguy would like be ODing on the Star Trek equivalent of Advil as a result of their respective workloads...

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
ok. most of the rants are bullshit, if, a BIG IF, you consider some of the explainations propped up from STO, like the destruction to Romulus occuring because the wave was sub-space based, thus sped up dramatically, changing the estimated arrival of the physical greatly. Spock did not had the time he thought he had, thus Romy go boom.

So, provided you accept ad hoc manufactured bullshit designed to prop up stupid bullshit, my statements regarding the silliness of said stupid bullshit are, in fact, themselves bullshit.

Mmkay.

quote:
hmmm i glanced and i change my opinion. ALL of his ideas are bullshit. He presumed that Nero was ignorant of time travel... guess what? 99% of the universe is probably ignorant of time travel, intentionally.
I have no idea what you're responding to, here . . . at what point do I argue that Nero is ignorant of time travel? I do argue that his quest to destroy the 23rd Century Federation rather than save Romulus is nonsensical, but that's entirely different.

quote:
If the slingshot manuever or existance of the Guardian of Forever was common knowledge,
Those points only exist in the second post about what Spock could've done . . .

Oh wait, did you misunderstand that the post entitled "What Our Spock Could've Done" was somehow about Nero? [Eek!]

No offense, but if you don't even trouble yourself to understand what was written, your declaration that it is bullshit rings quite hollow.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps