Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » On toilets and the Holodeck

Author Topic: On toilets and the Holodeck
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One curious soul asked the question, If you created a bathroom on the holodeck, then took a dump in it would there be a mess on the floor when you ended the programme? Sure it's stupid, but I'm curious for the answer.

Also, why did gates mcfadden?

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an interesting question, but a better question is that if you've got the technology to recreate anyone and anything in the entire universe...why pick a toilet? I know Barclay needed therapy, but I didn't think it was because of a coprophilia fetish. [Eek!]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe the Holodeck is the only place on a starship that a toilet is allowed- after all, we've never seen one on a starship....

Maybe they just go wherever and phaser it out of existance...super stain resistant carpets and advanced air purification systems handle the rest...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe they just use the transporter to void. Imagine the practical jokes available!

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the holodeck creates stuff like a replicator, but that stuff can't leave the holodeck. So this would suggest to me the opposite applies - stuff that you take into the holodeck made from 'real' matter won't be dematerialised when the programme ends. Otherwise anybody still in the holodeck when you end a programme (which we've seen) or during a power cut would end up dead, which would be kind of a downer.

So I think that any faeces, urine, spit or blood deposited during a holoprogramme would still be there by default. But it could be that a clever combination of transporter and replicator technology could be used, if part of the programme, to dispose of waste, such as for immersive programmes where you'd be in there for a longer time than you could go between toilet stops. Or perhaps you get a message that says "You've been playing for nearly two hours - why not take a break?"

Still, we never saw anyone say "Computer, engage holodeck excrement protocols". Presumably, this setting is also traditonally deactivated by holodeck malfunctions.

Anyway, I have a follow up question: since most of Star Trek 5 was a strange dream induced by McCoy's beans and a dodgy marshmellon or two from Spock, does the only toilet we've ever seen in Star Trek (where Kirk sits on the loo that pops out of the brig wall) count, or have we still never seen a bog on the Enterprise?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Anyway, I have a follow up question: since most of Star Trek 5 was a strange dream induced by McCoy's beans and a dodgy marshmellon or two from Spock, does the only toilet we've ever seen in Star Trek (where Kirk sits on the loo that pops out of the brig wall) count, or have we still never seen a bog on the Enterprise? [/QB]

Possibly prisoners are prevented from useing the more...ah...advanced methods of waste disposal by the security of the cell- some bright prisoner having used such waste extraction to break out in the past, leading to a return to more primitive conditions...

Of course, it's possible that the synthisized food on board a starship is somehow used completely by the body- explaining why we rarely see overweight people on trek- and those that are are usually planetside, eating local cuisine.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, the holodeck creates stuff like a replicator, but that stuff can't leave the holodeck."

Despite what they said, multiple objects were shown leaving the holodeck. About the only thing shown to definitely be unable to leave the holodeck is a holographic person.

"...stuff that you take into the holodeck made from 'real' matter won't be dematerialised when the programme ends. Otherwise anybody still in the holodeck when you end a programme (which we've seen) or during a power cut would end up dead..."

I'm sure the computer is smart enough to tell the difference between a person and a turd.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"I'm sure the computer is smart enough to tell the difference between a person and a turd."
I'd hope so, but don't forget that crap is essentially organic matter, upto a quater of which is alive (bacteria mostly). So, while you'd expect the computer to tell a steamer from a person, don't forget we've seen lamer tech problems on Star Trek.

And besides, I was theorising on the holodecks most basic setting. In 'verse I would expect that the dump is quarantined in game and transported straight to the waste disposal tanks.

My point was, that it seems that some stuff that came into being on the holodeck is replicated into 'real matter'. Dats throws that paper plane, Picard still has the holobimbos lippy on his cheek and Wesley stays wet (for seven seasons). And presumably food, as we see Troi eating something presumably from the holodeck at one point or another.

However, I don't recall anything that is taken into a holodeck that then did not come out of the holodeck. Which would presumably be a safety setting because I reckon the holodeck would be perfectly capable of turning matter from the 'real world' into energy and thereby potentially killing it.

This is probably taken care of by various safety protocals, including ones for the event of a power cut - an apparently not uncommon event even on a starship. So presumably, normal holodeck settings make sure that any bodily fluids are dealt with - especially when we take into account Quarks Vulcan Shagathon Volume Three type programmes. That would be horriffic if you were the guy booked to use it next.

But, it is possible to imagine a scenario where any deposits made are simply there on the floor when you end the programme.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me, didn't Tuvok make love to a holographic representation of his wife? Where did the bodily fluids go?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Dematerialized, I suppose...though I dont knw if I'd want anything from the food replicators fora while, if that were the case.
The computer might be re-sequencing the protien, water and such...

Which brings up the matter of eating and drinkng on the Holodeck- on Voyager, such repicator functions were rationed, surey that should apply to the consmption of food on Holodeck as well- it's not like Paris was drinkning forcefields and photons in that lameass pub program.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

Well why not? The holodeck can use forcefields to simulate pressure or solid objects. So the beer could dissapear as soon as it hits the oesophagus - it dematerialises, you swallow a load of air and have a colossal burp.

Or (more likely) that beer counted towards his food ration.

Or (last one, I prommise) the beer is in fact water that the holodeck makes the imbiber think is beer. But that would probably still count towards his ration.

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
That reminds me, didn't Tuvok make love to a holographic representation of his wife? Where did the bodily fluids go?

And that assumes Vulcans make love gravy. But they probably do given the evidence of Spock and other Vulcan hybrids.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's safe to say holodecks have some kind of self cleaning function. Icky stuff aside, organic being also leave behind sweat, hair, skin flakes...scales, feathers, bacteria...you get the idea. Even without replicator based dematerialisation, a simple radiation sweep should be enough to vaporise anything right down to stray skin cells.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

As often as the holodecks malfunction, such a radiation cleaning function is fairly terrifying.

Why not have a Barion sweep security system to deal with the occasional intruders- you know, the asshats that take over the ship or point a phaser at the Warpcore...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps