Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » NOMAD is here...

Author Topic: NOMAD is here...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and he's even more pissed than before.
(headphone users be warned)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not exactly stable, is it?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks pretty stable to me! Its the rocket equivalent of a unicycle. Balances pretty good, I'd say.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say the attitude controls on that thing is the pinnacle of mankind. If you don't think that's impressive, imagine if they put that system under a sedan and made it hover five feet off the ground for ten seconds, just because they could.
A car would probably weigh less than that thing, it made the trucklift bob when the engine gave out.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not nearly as hard to keep a (single- or multi-nozzled) rocket upright as it is to launch one into actual stable orbit and to also make your vehicle + any potential occupants survive reentry afterwards, which all these barely-suborbital cool kids don't have to worry about.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah- call me when it can erase minds and disentegrate people!

Really though....this might work better in a lower gravity, like Mars.

Nim
Member # 205

It's obviously just a proof of concept. I don't think the application is in the engine as much as the software and attitude instruments. Segway-level sensitivity in a rhino-sized vehicle is positively titillating.

And, of course...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmm...What is it's fuel duration to do this though? It seems to be really thrusting like mad to stay aloft- possibly good for a soft landing for spaceprobes....but for practical purposes, that only means "for Mars missions" right now.

Reminds me of that VTOL rocket X-plane- the one where the pilot could not see the ground to land.

Of course, Newt was in Florida today promising all those laid off NASA engineers that he'd have a permanent moonbase if elected president- the same useles bullshit promise Bush gave.
Because a moonbase would be useful in any fucking way ever.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps