Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Spock & Valeris (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spock & Valeris
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rewatched Star Trek VI this morning. The scene where Spock forces a mind meld on Valeria is actually pretty disturbing. Maybe it's just been a few years since I've seen it, but, jesus, I'm having a hard time seeing the scene as anything other than Spock raping her.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the proper term is "Mind Fuck".

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is actually something that's often bothered me about Trek. For a show that's supposedly all about ethical quandaries, they never really got into the true social implications of telepaths.

B5 did a much better job of thinking it all through and showing how it could work (or not, as the case may be) in a society where telepaths and non-telepaths must co-exist. JMS was careful to make sure there were legal safeguards in place to (in theory) prevent exactly this kind of violation. Scans of criminal suspects for any reason requires a court order and even then only after a person has been sentenced to death of personality. Anything the telepath sees while inside a defendant's mind is considered inadmissible. Even in business dealings, the use of a telepath (who must also be a licenced commercial teep) requires the express permission of both parties and only surface scans to establish if responses to direct questions are true or false are permitted.

Things are much looser in Trek, which if you think about it makes no practical sense. The only time I think it ever came up was with Betazoids and even then, going into someone's minds was treated more like a social taboo and less like a criminal violation of privacy, to say nothing of their basic sentient rights.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was the T'Pol mindrape, that went into ethics territory.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it took them how many decades to get around to it? Actually, I'm not sure I would even count that at all. If memory serves (haven't watched Enterprise since it ended) they just used it as a straight up sex assault allegory. I think they may have muddied it even further with the whole mind-melders = social deviants/homosexual allegory.

What I'm talking about is the wider social and practical ramifications of dealing with individuals who are innately more powerful (not merely "different") living as a minority. Though admittedly, their is some overlap with aforementioned melder/deviant thing, but it's still not quiet the same thing.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But part of the reason why B5 justified those laws governing Human telepathy was because it was a rather sudden development out of nowhere. Compare with the Minbari telepaths; those are the ones I'd compare to Vulcan telepathy. Vulcans are generally quite moral, and with very few exceptions the use of the mind meld and associated techniques was used quite appropriately.

But that mind rape scene was really creepy. I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the things that Roddenberry was most pissed about (if rumors about his hating The Undiscovered Country are true).

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since there wasn't anything sexual going on, I'm not sure that rape is really the best analogy. It was more of an "enhanced interrogation". If anything, Spock was performing Vulcan waterboarding (with the difference being that it actually worked).
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't think that's such a great analogy, either. It's not as if Spock is intimidating or frightening her into giving him the information, nor is he deliberately inflicting discomfort on her to coerce her into it. He's forcing his way into her mind and taking the information he wants directly out of it.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a violation. It's not sexual, okay, but how is it not as psychologically damaging as rape?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. While there can't be any justification for rape, that mind-meld was a necessary evil to prevent an interstellar war. At least, thats how I see it.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, I don't think that's such a great analogy, either."

No, it's not perfect, for the reason you mentioned. But it seems closer to the mark.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. While there can't be any justification for rape, that mind-meld was a necessary evil to prevent an interstellar war. At least, thats how I see it.

What if they just started breaking her fingers instead? Or pulling her teeth? Maybe waterboarding her or sticking needles under her fingernails?

How long untill the main characters become worse than the villans?

Yeah, I can see why Roddenberry hated STVI- they threw out all the "bright shiny moral future" in favor of a military "ends justify the means" solution.

It was 24 in space...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

What bothered me wasn't so much what was done or how it was done so much as the fact that the immorality of it wasn't even acknowledged, let alone discussed. Does Starfleet and the Federation not have rules concerning the treatment of prisoners? Do they not have the presumption of innocence until a formal trial is held?

I might even argue that this was *worse* than a rape. As horrendous as it might be to endure such a thing, it is still "only" physical in nature. Given enough impetus, you can block out pain and physical sensation, turn your mind inward and go somewhere else in your head. I'm not saying that makes it OK, but by contrast there's no getting away from someone literally crawling around inside your mind.

I mean, when you get right down to it, the only trauma that ever really matters and has a lasting effect on a person is psychological.

It should also be worth remembering that from the way the scene was played, Spock clearly not being gentle and Valeris was clearly distressed. I'm pretty sure the actors and director knew full well what the subtext of this scene was.

--------------------

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

Jason: Perhaps being in the military has given me a "whatever it takes" attitude. Truth be told, I really do see your points in the whole matter. No matter how you spin it, it wasn't right.

But frankly, at what point does holding the moral high ground justify the loss of life of potentially billions of people? It may not have been okay, but it was definitely neccessary IMHO.

Rev: How could a forcefull mind meld be any worse than a violent sexual assault such as rape? Whats the worse that could have came with that mind-meld? Spock (and only Spock) knew of Valeris' deepest, darkest secrets? I wonder if he was able to bypass "unneccessary" memories and just dig to the info he needed?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"I mean, when you get right down to it, the only trauma that ever really matters and has a lasting effect on a person is psychological."

Well, unless you start cutting bits off. That can be pretty lasting.

"Does Starfleet and the Federation not have rules concerning the treatment of prisoners?"

One thing that might be of note here is that Spock and Valeris were both active members of Starfleet, which is portrayed as being run as a military, with their own judicial system and everything. The Federation may have rules regarding the treatment of prisoners, but the rules may be very different for Starfleet treatment of Starfleet officers on a Starfleet ship out in space.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps