Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch (Page 14)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I get the impression that what is called Warp in this verse would be called Quantum Slipstream or Transwarp in the Prime Universe. That's the only way we can justify the short trips between far-flung areas. Warp speed travel in this universe doesn't even remotely look like warp travel in other Star Trek film or show.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I think it's also a small but pointed example of the "everything now no pauses action action action" mentality of this universe.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they were just useing NUBSG FTL drives now instead of Warp....
Hmmm...I wonder if Star Wars will get even more crazy fast now...and of course, larger.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
I LOL'd

http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkness-the-spoiler-faq-508927844

Thank you for that- the best bit is this:
quote:
I don’t know. I think it’s nice that in this day and age, a white male can still be cast as an Indian played by a Mexican. White men really have come a long way!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
quote:
Originally posted by o2:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Yeah, I swear that Newton type has registry of NCC-071/B, even though its probably 0718, but that 1 looks funny.

I watched the movie yesterday and the number was not better to read as in the trailer. I don't think that there is a '/' in it. It is pretty clear even in the picture of the trailer that the line is more or less in parallel to the last digit (more like '|'. So I assume that it is NCC-0718. But the name of that ship is not readable.
Since the android/cyborg crewmember is referred to in the credits as "Science Officer 0718," that's probably the registry of the ship too. It's probably named after one of Abrams's relatives, since the Kelvin was named after his grandfather.

quote:
Originally posted by o2:
I noticed the ships on the desk as well. I wondered why the top secrete dreadnought ship was displayed on the desk in the open for everybody to see. And I wondered why the Kelvin class was on display and not the flagship of the fleet, the Enterprise. Did anybody noticed the regristry on the hull of Kelvin-class? Cool was the NX-01-Class (The Enterprise?).

http://io9.com/a-close-up-look-at-the-star-trek-easter-egg-you-might-h-509076595

The gallary of prob ships is great, but I can't recall seeing the V2 Rocket. I would even consider this as very bad taate of the set decorator/of the director to display such an instrument of mass destruction in this line of ships! On the other hand, there is at least one model in the movie that was not on that page: A model of the Ares V launch vehicle (in our world this has been replaced in the meantime by the Space Launch System).

Regaring that 'red' ship: I haven't seen it myself in the movie (or on any other picture available to me) but I had to think of the the book 'Star Trek: The Art of the Film' (page 59) where you can find a picture of a red Armstrong-type ship, the USS Excelisor.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well I get the impression that what is called Warp in this verse would be called Quantum Slipstream or Transwarp in the Prime Universe. That's the only way we can justify the short trips between far-flung areas. Warp speed travel in this universe doesn't even remotely look like warp travel in other Star Trek film or show."

I dunno ... the warp effect of the TOS movies (the rainbow effect) doesn't look like it did in TOS or TNG/DS9/VOY, but we all think that's "our" warp; and was the trip from the border of the Klingon Neutral Zone to Earth really take any longer than the trip from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth in First Contact?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:
The gallary of prob ships is great, but I can't recall seeing the V2 Rocket. I would even consider this as very bad taate of the set decorator/of the director to display such an instrument of mass destruction in this line of ships!

The V-2 was the first manmade object ever to escape Earth's atmosphere and enter space, and was the forerunner of all modern rockets. And of course, Marcus' prized Vengeance is an instrument of even greater mass destruction.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! I think I'll order the ring ship and the Phoenix.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mim:
quote:
The V-2 was the first manmade object ever to escape Earth's atmosphere and enter space, and was the forerunner of all modern rockets.
Yes. A pity studious Marcus didn't also have a model of the first mass-produced compact military car, the Kübelwagen. And perhaps also a commemorative minireplica of the first successful true Submachinegun, the MP40? Think that might brighten up his desk there.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found something else regarding "Star Trek Into Darkness".

"It only took 12 films, but finally...!"

Also, does the color scheme of their bridge during Red Alert remind anyone of anything?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I dunno ... the warp effect of the TOS movies (the rainbow effect) doesn't look like it did in TOS or TNG/DS9/VOY, but we all think that's "our" warp; and was the trip from the border of the Klingon Neutral Zone to Earth really take any longer than the trip from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth in First Contact?

True, but you can fudge that one a bit. Although I can't remember... had the battle already started before the Enterprise-E headed for Earth?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Mim:
quote:
The V-2 was the first manmade object ever to escape Earth's atmosphere and enter space, and was the forerunner of all modern rockets.
Yes. A pity studious Marcus didn't also have a model of the first mass-produced compact military car, the Kübelwagen. And perhaps also a commemorative minireplica of the first successful true Submachinegun, the MP40? Think that might brighten up his desk there.
Well, uh, neither of those things had anything whatsoever to do with the history of flight or space travel. The V-2 rocket was a hugely significant technological milestone on that front, and directly led to the rockets used to take humans into space. To not understand why it's there is pretty obtuse IMO.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, the MP40 might have been used to keep the slave labor camps in line...the ones Von Braun had making those V2 rockets.
No was to link the car in without going all "Kevin Bacon Game" on it.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:

Regarding that 'red' ship: I haven't seen it myself in the movie (or on any other picture available to me) but I had to think of the the book 'Star Trek: The Art of the Film' (page 59) where you can find a picture of a red Armstrong-type ship, the USS Excelsior.

http://i.imgur.com/LmR3deL.jpg

It's probably the Excelsior. They might have made the model for the first movie but didn't use it until this one.

Also, I was wrong about the Newton-type with new nacelles. The nacelles are the same, they just glow blue now instead of the original red.

http://i.imgur.com/StNNN0s.png

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

http://i.imgur.com/LmR3deL.jpg

It's probably the Excelsior. They might have made the model for the first movie but didn't use it until this one.

Cool, I haven't noticed that ship before in this shot. Your assumption sounds reasonable, but we can never be sure since the ship is to far away for identification...

quote:

Also, I was wrong about the Newton-type with new nacelles. The nacelles are the same, they just glow blue now instead of the original red.

http://i.imgur.com/StNNN0s.png

Where is this 'red' comming from? I found no reference of red glowing bussard collectors in any picutre of the first Star Trek movie. Indeed there is no other good picture of a Newton-type ship from that angle available. Mayby the bussard colectors are supposed to be blue? By the way, I think this ship is the NCC-0718 as well. The only other ship (also a Newton-tpye) was not docked to the space station when the Enterprise departed.
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps