Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch (Page 2)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess the whole Gary Mitchell thing is looking a little bit more credible, since we've got a character whose haircut is suspiciously similar to Elizabeth Dehner's in "Where No Man Has Gone Before". (Then again, that might be old news. I haven't been keeping up.)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The blonde does look very much like Elizabeth Dehner; makes sense considering Cumberbatch is supposedly Gary Mitchell.

The IDW comic series has been running issues where they re-do TOS episodes with the JJ cast; WNMHGB was the first run they did. Dehner cancelled her transfer just before the Enterprise left on its mission to the barrier and conveniently wasn't on the ship. Mitchell was left on Delta Vega as in the episode and was supposedly killed by Kirk and Spock; they didn't specifically show his death, however.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
So: is that the Enterprise crashing into the San Francisco bay?

No, it's another ship. You can tell by the fact that the nacelle struts curve outward instead of inward; it has no secondary hull to speak of, and the nacelles look like a miniature version of the Sovereign class.

quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
That's what I thought, since a previous part of the trailer showed it rising from an ocean.

No, that's another ship as well. The nacelles are not on struts, and there's no saucer section. It almost looks like an amphibious craft to me.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upon reflection, I might be mistaken. I thought the whole thing rising out of the water was a ship, but looking again I think it's just two nacelles. It could be the Enterprise. But the ship crashing into the water definitely isn't.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a sense it's as though they've combined the characters of Gary Mitchell and Khan, which might explain some of the conflicting rumours (I could've sworn earlier in the year Trekmovie 'confirmed' that the villain was Khan?).

So now the movie opens with Mitchell feeling aggrieved that he was left for dead on a planet by Kirk, at some point he steals another Starfleet ship and there may even be an almost literal submarine battle.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Final Scene:

The Enterprise crew is being commended for apprehending Gary Mitchell and Admiral Pike has just finished the speech, the camera pulls away as if to go to end credits.

Suddenly, a thunderous sound is heard from above, a giant portal clears away the clouds from the Earth's atmosphere above the San Fransisco bay.

A giant ship crashes downward into the bay and into buildings along the coastline, nearly hitting the Golden Gate Bridge.

The water and dust settles, the camera pans forward slowly, revealing the hull letters:

U.S.S. ENTERPRISE
NCC-1701-E

A few notes of the TNG theme are mixed into the score.... then silence...

Black.

Credits.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be a very cruel way to end the movie.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can see "NCC-1701" on the nacelle of the ship rising out of the water. But I think the crashing ship is different.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shucks,I was hoping for Garth of Izar. Anyway, I guess we have an answer as to why we don't see subs in the future. [Wink]

Edit: Trekmovie has an interesting breakdown of each shot.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/06/star-trek-into-darkness-announcement-trailer-shot-by-shot-analysis/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
Final Scene:

The Enterprise crew is being commended for apprehending Gary Mitchell and Admiral Pike has just finished the speech, the camera pulls away as if to go to end credits.

Suddenly, a thunderous sound is heard from above, a giant portal clears away the clouds from the Earth's atmosphere above the San Fransisco bay.

A giant ship crashes downward into the bay and into buildings along the coastline, nearly hitting the Golden Gate Bridge.

The water and dust settles, the camera pans forward slowly, revealing the hull letters:

U.S.S. ENTERPRISE
NCC-1701-E

Pan to a black and white image of Gene Roddenberry as a silent tear rolls down his cheek.

Black.

Credits.

There, I fixed it for you.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little bit of extra footage in the Japanese trailer

I have a weird feeling that he's Khan. Super strength, lack of glowing eyes or telekinesis (at least on the preview), and a thirst for vengence that Gary Mitchell historically lacked. Seems to be calculating and intelligent. He's even talking like him; and I wouldn't be surprised if JJ pulled a fastball like that.

Still a lot of holes in this theory obviously.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
Final Scene:

U.S.S. ENTERPRISE
NCC-1701-E

Pan to a black and white image of Gene Roddenberry as a silent tear rolls down his cheek.

Black.

Credits.

There, I fixed it for you.
ROTFL. Yes. This.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

We still don't know who Peter Weller is supposed to be. He'd make an excellent Garth.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking that they combined gary Mitchell and Kahn- some bright light finds Gary Kahn in a suspended animation pod, awakens him and he uses his vast mental powers to make thhe Dark Knight Returns poster a reality, because why the fuck not, right?
It's what I'd do, honestly.

This was posted over at SSM and it looks like a good observation to me:
quote:

Didn't we read somewhere that Zach Quinto was not going to fill his 3-film contract and would back out? The scene shown here could be a nod to the original TWoK film and a way for ZQ to back out of the film...

http://scifanatic.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/stid-t1-42.jpg

Interesting... very very interesting...

So they're rollng up as much shit as possible into a loose STII framework...(facepalm)

Maybe we'll get a real treat and, after Starfleet is destroyed, the Romulans will show up to take over Earth afterwards- after all, they know their star is fucked right...I mean, eric Bana's character from the first movie did think to tell them, right?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some very interesting news coming out of the last press conference.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Cumberbatch's character is called "John Harrison", and one of the trashed buildings you see him at in the trailer is on Qo'noS. We're going to see much more of the klingons, and they'll have a more TMP/TOS-ish look.

I'm getting some very good feelings about this.

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps