Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Official Starships Collection magazine - each issue contains a model

Author Topic: Official Starships Collection magazine - each issue contains a model
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 14cm starship model 3D-printed from CBS-Digital's archives. Launches in the UK this week, and in the US in October.

Website

Running Order

Youtube

I was surprised that they are adding such esoteric models as the Equinox, Prometheus and Krenim Temporal Weapon.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea, but the Warbird's wacky and the ships are all out of scale with one another.

Still, though, this is much better than Micro Machines, and for those of us who are not modelers like Jason, a decent way to get the set.

In the interests of space-saving, however, I prefer to keep my starships on my computer as 3-D models.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is pretty neat. Unfortunate that it appears to be UK only right now.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, ambassador, Constellation and lots of other more obscure classes. Seems nice. And 5.5 inches, that's not micro at all.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Looks like someone didn't do enough research. The "Equinox" is the wrong Nova-class variant, and the "Jem'Hadar Bug" and "Klingon Raptor" are completely the wrong models!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link to the homepage seems to be broken. Did anybody found out what the street price is? I guess the 1.99 is only for the first isuee.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.startrek-starships.com/eng/faqs.html

£1.99 for issue 1, £5.99 for issue 2 and then £9.99 thereafter. Sounds like a fun magazine, but a bit steep for a bi-weekly with 70 issues? I dunno.

That said, it looks like you can get back issues, so that mght be an option.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though my days of collecting this kind of thing are long gone, these do look very nicely made. I especially like how the stands clip on instead of the usual peg & hole arrangement.

I don't mind saying, 15 years ago, I would have killed for a KBoB that looked that good! [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this had been made about 15 years ago (as part of the Fact Files collection, for instance) I would have been all over it. They had a stall at a recent con in London and the models looked decent enough. About the same quality as the Johnny Lightning ones, but at a slightly larger scale from what I recall.

It's nice that they're covering the more obscure ships as well, but good luck to the poor sod who has to find more than two sentences to pad out the Valdore's issue. [Razz] How much is there really to say about some of those?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Nim
Member # 205

I didn't notice the Nova variant was actually the future Rhode Island refit, with the filled-in nose and more developed nacelles. I really enjoy that version over the Equinox, so that's a win-win.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
I like the idea, but the Warbird's wacky and the ships are all out of scale with one another.

What's wrong with the Warbird? It looks like it's based of the second model because it's got those whatsits on the nacelles, but I can't see any other issues.

They do address the scale issue, and I kinda agree. You either do things to scale and have tiny BOPs and huge Warbirds, or you ignore scale so all the ships can be nicely detailed.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. Its not particularly practical to make them to scale, so I don't think that is really an issue.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps