Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » You're the Admiral! — Kedmar Sector (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: You're the Admiral! — Kedmar Sector
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boooo. But understandable. But boooo.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This gives Ginger and Omega time to answer! *prod prod prod*

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, something's poking me...

Sorry everyone - I had to go on very short notice to a field site in the middle of Scotland - lovely scenery and more wildlife than you can shake a science stick at, but no internet for a week. But I've now caught up my emails, so I can compose my late answers in a bit.

I shall try to avoid such disappearances in the future.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Field site? Sounds interesting! [Smile]

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a bog and I was looking for flies, so not as glamorous as one might imagine [Wink]

Q3 part a:

Fabrux
Because both races have a strong claim I have decided that, as the ship was found in unclaimed territory, that neither can have it outright. I therefore, under the Protection of Military Remains Act (2286) declare the wreck a protected site. The administration of the site will be by a joint committee of the Nillavi and the Senac, overseen by Starfleet (just in case they can't get along nicely).

Snay
Law dictates that as the Orion ship was stopped legitimately by Starfleet it is 'our catch', and we will prosecute them for their hostile acts. As we do not have an extradition treaty with the Nillavi we can't hand the Orions over, however they are free to assist us if they wish in their prosecution or as to where they were delivering the goods, but under UFP law. As for the weapons mountings, these will be sent to the Kedomar Starbase for close examination to determine their origin, and to see if we can push for smuggling charges.

Q3 part B:

1) I move the Aquarius to patrol Oasis and consider the deployment of a further set of sensor drones to aid monitoring the border. If the Tzenkethi come knocking I need as much warning as I can get. The Bentonville is re-tasked with patrolling between Kedomar base and Oasis.

2) I decide that I must step into the fray with the Qorn - Senac trade agreements. The Senac are UFP members and should abide by the Prime Directive. If they are breaking it I want to know, so I begin getting the Rutledge to inspect all cargo from Senec to Qorn. Any naughty trade will be punished severely.

3) If the species does exist and is intelligent then the prime directive must be invoked. Oasis colony would have to be abandoned and all evidence removed or destroyed completely. The settlers would be compensated and relocated. A scientific team would likely be needed to study the species, possibly under a duck blind operation. I send a request to SFC to determine the scientific institute best suited to their study to contact me as soon as possible.

Q3 part C:

1) Having briefed Starfleet Command it looks like we will have to step in and help the Nillavi. While it is a long shot, there may be something we can do to help them fix the star, and as such I request a well equipped scientific vessel be dispatched to investigate possibilities. More practically, I require several transport ships, such as Istanbul class, in order to assist with the evacuation to more safe planets, say half a dozen. Ideally these will be outfitted with industrial replicators to help them with the food crisis.

We can also offer the use of the Kedomar base for refugees, and help to identify any suitable unclaimed worlds for the displaced to move to.

2) We will happily assist, and joint Nillavi-Federation delegation will approach them diplomatically as this will also help us open up contact with T'g'nari. However, given their past we don't expect that much will come of it.

3) As long as Oasis is happy to accept them, I let them land with the proviso that they stay away from the jungle, and warn them of the potential need to abandon the planet. They are guests and had better be prepared to leave if we ask them. Given this, I order the patrol ships to not permit any further refugee craft land on Oasis, and instead redirect them to Kedomar Base until we can work out where they can go.

Q3 part D:

Nillavi refugee ships are headed for an unclaimed planet in system A9513. While in neutral space, the Senac are beginning to accuse the Nillavi of taking advantage of the situation by expanding out of their territory. The Senac request that Starfleet do something about this dangerous expansionism before it poses a threat to Senac sovereignty. Whatcha gonna do?

And now time for bed!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question Four

React to the following developments in the Kedmar Sector:
  1. Respond to any two scenarios posed by other participants in part (D) of the previous question.

2. The preliminary data is in concerning the Darev star. The good news is, it looks like whatever change the star is going through is starting to slow down, meaning that Darev V won’t become uninhabitable. The bad news is that the warming phase isn’t done yet. The population will have to deal with higher UV levels and warmer climate, though, and the food situation will take a while to sort out too. Towards that end, the Nillavi request that the Federation provide assistance in building a system of food replicator facilities to supplement their existing agricultural supplies.

3. A small Nillavi ship docks at your starbase for repairs. Surprisingly, the crew are all Qorn. They state that the ship was purchased legally, but they’re acting kinda odd in their interactions with the Starfleet officers they meet. It’s clear they have only general knowledge of the workings of their ship and technology (though not Pakled-level inexperience, either). What actions (if any) will you take to investigate this unusual development?

4. Assuming you sent a starship to patrol around Qorn, your inspectors discover a Nillavi civilian freighter carrying arkenite crystals and reinforced proton accumulation chambers, two key components of plasma-based weaponry. During questioning, the Nillavi captain reveals that there has been trade of some advanced technology from the Nillavi in exchange for vitally-needed food supplies from Qorn. The equipment has been moving along the existing Nillavi-Senac-Qorn trade route. Although some of the trading ships have passed through the Senac system, it appears that the Senac themselves are not involved.

The Nillavi and three of the larger Qorn nations all file a protest with your office, accusing you of interfering with legitimate interstellar trade. Considering these developments, how will you respond?

5. A meeting between the Nillavi and the T’g’nari has gone horribly awry: during a trade negotiation between a T’g’nari and a Nillavi warship in the G510 system, the two ships started shooting at each other. There’s few details about how it started (naturally each side accuses the other of firing the first shot), but it ended with the T’g’nari ship completely disabled and the Nillavi warship limping for home at warp 2.

But when it rains, it pours… the T’g’nari send 3 more warships in pursuit. And it looks like they’ll catch up with the Nillavi cruiser before any friendly ships can reach them from the home cluster. The Nillavi captain begs for help from any nearby ships.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Word of the events in the Nillavi Cluster spreads fast. Within a month of the initial contact from the Nillavi requesting assistance, patrols suggest that there is a T'g'nar convoy en route to Darev V. As far as you know, no negotiations have yet to be made with the T'g'nari in regards to aid, and your patrols have not been able to get close enough to the convoy to determine if they are freighters carrying foodstuffs or armed vessels looking for a fight..
I'm going to alert the Nillavi to the presence of the convoy, and see if they have any knowledge of the contents of the convoy. I will order the Aba'Kur to depart Senec and conduct a long distance scan of the convoy to see if it can determine the cargo.

quote:
Nillavi refugee ships are headed for an unclaimed planet in system A9513. While in neutral space, the Senac are beginning to accuse the Nillavi of taking advantage of the situation by expanding out of their territory. The Senac request that Starfleet do something about this dangerous expansionism before it poses a threat to Senac sovereignty. Whatcha gonna do?
I'm tempted to not even respond. The Nillavi, and for that matter, the T'g'nari, are welcome to any unclaimed planets. The Senec should really be aware of this. However, I am aware of their concerns, things in the sector appear to be flying out of control, so I will redeploy the Gorkon to Senec.

quote:
The preliminary data is in concerning the Darev star. The good news is, it looks like whatever change the star is going through is starting to slow down, meaning that Darev V won’t become uninhabitable. The bad news is that the warming phase isn’t done yet. The population will have to deal with higher UV levels and warmer climate, though, and the food situation will take a while to sort out too. Towards that end, the Nillavi request that the Federation provide assistance in building a system of food replicator facilities to supplement their existing agricultural supplies.
We will be happy to assist ... but there are going to be conditions which the Federation is going to insist on as a result of this assistance. These conditions will be spelled out in response to other scenarios, below:

quote:
A small Nillavi ship docks at your starbase for repairs. Surprisingly, the crew are all Qorn. They state that the ship was purchased legally, but they’re acting kinda odd in their interactions with the Starfleet officers they meet. It’s clear they have only general knowledge of the workings of their ship and technology (though not Pakled-level inexperience, either). What actions (if any) will you take to investigate this unusual development?
The Nillavi need to provide information regarding to the ownership and registration of this vessel. While the Nillavi are of course welcome to trade with the Qorn, if they are going to be relying on Federation aid, we are going to hold them to certain standards of conduct (consider it a Prime Directive Lite) - for one thing, no provision of starships to the Qorn. If it turns out the Qorn have hijacked this starship and killed or imprisoned the crew, Starfleet will work with the Nillavi to ensure the safe return of the Nillavi crew, and disposition of the Qorn crew.

quote:
Assuming you sent a starship to patrol around Qorn, your inspectors discover a Nillavi civilian freighter carrying arkenite crystals and reinforced proton accumulation chambers, two key components of plasma-based weaponry. During questioning, the Nillavi captain reveals that there has been trade of some advanced technology from the Nillavi in exchange for vitally-needed food supplies from Qorn. The equipment has been moving along the existing Nillavi-Senac-Qorn trade route. Although some of the trading ships have passed through the Senac system, it appears that the Senac themselves are not involved.

The Nillavi and three of the larger Qorn nations all file a protest with your office, accusing you of interfering with legitimate interstellar trade. Considering these developments, how will you respond?

If the Nillavi wish Federation aid, they are going to cut off trading weapons with the Qorn, immediately. If they would prefer to receive their food stuff from the Qorn (in which case I will refuse to provide them replicators and remove the ones we have already provided), we will keep our nose out of their business. If they decide they would prefer to do business with the Federation, they agree to the establishment of Starfleet offices at their starports so that Starfleet and Nillavi officials can ensure no weaponry, or other restricted technologies, are being shipped to the Qorn. Additionally, I pull the Pelileu off the Northern Border patrol to provide interdiction services of any starship approaching Qorn.

quote:
A meeting between the Nillavi and the T’g’nari has gone horribly awry: during a trade negotiation between a T’g’nari and a Nillavi warship in the G510 system, the two ships started shooting at each other. There’s few details about how it started (naturally each side accuses the other of firing the first shot), but it ended with the T’g’nari ship completely disabled and the Nillavi warship limping for home at warp 2.

But when it rains, it pours… the T’g’nari send 3 more warships in pursuit. And it looks like they’ll catch up with the Nillavi cruiser before any friendly ships can reach them from the home cluster. The Nillavi captain begs for help from any nearby ships.

The Aba'Kur is the closest starship and can intercept the Nillavi vessel before the T'g'nari. However: if the Nillavi wish to play with fire, there are consequences. If the Nillavi wish for help from the Aba'Kur, these are my orders: our ship will ask the T'g'nari to stand down. If they refuse, we will evacuate the Nillavi crew, and leave the vessel as a prize for the T'g'nari. There is, however, only a small window of opportunity. If the Nillavi crew refuses to evacuate, the captain of the Aba'Kur has received specific order to withdraw and NOT engage the T'g'nari in hostilities. I have informed the Nillavi and T'g'nari of these orders.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

C'mon others!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

Question 4

Part A) i: Riots have broken out on Darev V, including in the planetary capital. There has been destruction and the loss of life. With Nillavi forces occupied elsewhere, and police resources stretched to the limit on Darev V, the planet's governor has contacted Starfleet directly with a request for Federation troops to end the riot and restore order.

I have, after briefing my superiors, sent a strongly worded diplomatic message to the governer reminding him that the primary goal of the Federation peace by diplomacy and understanding, not by oppression. If the riots are caused by food shortages which can be helped with aid, we will do more to relive this. However, we will never aid a freind by giving him troops to attack his own people. The Nillavi are not Federation members, and as such we can not interfer in an internal political matter.

Personally, if the matter becomes any worse then I will contact the Federation government rearding the possible deployment of peacekeeping (not offensive) forces, but this will be at an absolute last resort. I have not informed the governor of this, but I expect he will find out somehow. The last thing we need is name as oppressors in the sector.

Part A) ii: Word of the events in the Nillavi Cluster spreads fast. Within a month of the initial contact from the Nillavi requesting assistance, patrols suggest that there is a T'g'nar convoy en route to Darev V. As far as you know, no negotiations have yet to be made with the T'g'nari in regards to aid, and your patrols have not been able to get close enough to the convoy to determine if they are freighters carrying foodstuffs or armed vessels looking for a fight...

I anticipate that this could end in tears for the Nillavi. Essentially I give them the benefit of the doubt by sending the Governor a message informing him that we have observed the approaching fleet and reminding him that the Federation is happy to act as a negotiating partner between the two peoples, but we will not stand by if they have been negotating in secret and this trade is contrary to the understanding that the Federation and the people of Darev V have vis a vis relief and aid, such as weapons trade or troop movements.

If it is I will authorise my ships to to protect it's interests in the system by searching and/or confiscating any such trade. In addition, I will not permit Federation aid to a governor who wishes to harm his own people and would be forced to withdraw all Federation help if this trade is not above board.

Part B:The preliminary data is in concerning the Darev star. The good news is, it looks like whatever change the star is going through is starting to slow down, meaning that Darev V won’t become uninhabitable. The bad news is that the warming phase isn’t done yet. The population will have to deal with higher UV levels and warmer climate, though, and the food situation will take a while to sort out too. Towards that end, the Nillavi request that the Federation provide assistance in building a system of food replicator facilities to supplement their existing agricultural supplies.

We would be happy to extend our assistance to include such facilities, providng the government regulate their use to food and medical supplies only. As such Starfleet will either run these facilities or monitor them and we will only 'licence' the technology, not gift it. This means that we will not permit the replication of any weaponary, narcotics, etc and remove it at the first sign of any trouble.

Part C:A small Nillavi ship docks at your starbase for repairs. Surprisingly, the crew are all Qorn. They state that the ship was purchased legally, but they’re acting kinda odd in their interactions with the Starfleet officers they meet. It’s clear they have only general knowledge of the workings of their ship and technology (though not Pakled-level inexperience, either). What actions (if any) will you take to investigate this unusual development?

The first thing to do is get intouch with the Nivalli DVLA and ask them who owns the ship. Assuming the paperwork is in order, there is little I can do. If it's not I will deatain the crew and offer to turn them over to the Nivalli.

The Nivalli are not Federation members and we can't enforce our rules on them retroactively. However I will insist that such trade be kept to a minimum, informing the Nivalli of our adherence to the Prime Directive and that I consider the Qorn to be essentially under the PDs provisions. As such, I will not respond kindly to the Navilli advancing them, especially in certain technological areas... I will not tollerate the trade of Federation goods with them either, and reserve the right to intervene if I think thats going on. I suspect the genie is well out of the bottle though.

Part D:Assuming you sent a starship to patrol around Qorn, your inspectors discover a Nillavi civilian freighter carrying arkenite crystals and reinforced proton accumulation chambers, two key components of plasma-based weaponry. During questioning, the Nillavi captain reveals that there has been trade of some advanced technology from the Nillavi in exchange for vitally-needed food supplies from Qorn. The equipment has been moving along the existing Nillavi-Senac-Qorn trade route. Although some of the trading ships have passed through the Senac system, it appears that the Senac themselves are not involved.

I reply that I am perfectly in my rights to 'interfere' with any trade I deem to be in contravention to Federation law in Federation space (i.e. the Senac system), regardless of who is doing the trading. If you do it in my yard, you do it by my rules. As the weapons were not declared when entring Federation space the trade will be considered to be arms trading, which is illegal without the proper licences. I will confiscate the goods and let the crew off with a warning this time, but charge the master with something less than smuggling, like not keeping his doccuments upto date - the equivilent of points on his licence rather than a jail term.

While the two planets are free to trade outside of Federation space (as they no doubt will from now on) I reitereate my previous message aobut the Prime Directive, and emphasise that my duty is to maintain peace in the sector and while I prefer to do it with the olive branch, I do have other options at my disposal.

Part E:A meeting between the Nillavi and the T’g’nari has gone horribly awry: during a trade negotiation between a T’g’nari and a Nillavi warship in the G510 system, the two ships started shooting at each other. There’s few details about how it started (naturally each side accuses the other of firing the first shot), but it ended with the T’g’nari ship completely disabled and the Nillavi warship limping for home at warp 2.

I thought that might happen. I order the Rutledge to move in, but keep a distance. If the Nillavi ship is fired upon, it can move between the fleets and order them to dispurse. however that is a last resort. They must withdraw if they are attacked themselves. Accusations of cowardice asside, this is not our fight.

But, before that I reply to the Nivalli that while we will respond to a ship in distress, I can not order a ship to help or pick sides in a fight between two non Federation aligned races.

I also send a request that the T'g'nari stand down as the Federation does not wish to see bloodshed. I reitereate that the Federation has no quarrel with them and that we wish to maintain peace in the sector, not conflict. I also point out that we do send out aid to distressed ships, and that our laws permit us to defend ourselves.

I then cross my fingers and hope they don't call my bluff.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question Five
  1. Objectively critique one of the other participants’ answers to part (E) of the previous question. Point out any strengths or weaknesses in their strategy, and feel free to examine the underlying political or philosophical assumptions of that strategy.

2. The Nillavi crisis is addressed when a large relief convoy arrives from the Federation core. They bring whatever supplies and equipment you’ve proposed, and are the first of several (smaller) convoys that will be en route on a regular basis until the Nillavi get back on their feet.

The first convoy has its own escort (two New Orleans-class frigates), but Starfleet has ordered you to redeploy your fleet to protect future convoys. The ships will be entering the sector from the “eastern” border, near system Z436. Although the Nillavi will contribute to the escort, they can only spare two of their patrol cruisers, and they’d prefer to keep them as close to their own territory as possible. Describe how you will reassign your ships to protect this new shipping route.

3. It’s time to start picking up the pieces. Following the recent confrontations, two of the largest nation-states on Qorn have decided to form an alliance with the T’g’nari. Although the T’g’nari aren’t exactly turning into expansionists, they’re not very happy with the Federation or the Nillavi, and see this alliance as a necessary evil. Two T’g’nari warships are sent to patrol in the Qorn system, and a handful of trade ships are seen traveling the route between the two planets. React to this shift in the political landscape, and describe how you will redeploy your fleet, if necessary.

4. Your research team studying the proto-saurians on Oasis files their report. The species in question is not sentient, and though their evolution definitely seems to be taking them in that direction, it’ll likely take a few million years. Though the decision is not up to you, your report will likely influence the decision makers. Do you believe this qualifies Oasis for Prime Directive protection? If so, outline a plan to “de-colonize” the planet. Assume that the report has not yet been made public, and that it may not be popular with all the settlers. If you don’t believe the Prime Directive applies, explain why not.

5. It’s time to move on. Starfleet has decided to send you on to a new sector, and to replace you with a fresh Admiral to continue your work. As your last duty in this sector, you are to brief the new guy about what you’ve done. Read over your responses to all the previous questions. Define what Starfleet’s priorities should be in this sector, and your recommendations to your replacement as to what he or she should concentrate on.

Final Thoughts

It's been quite a while since I did a scenario like this (last time was over at the SCN forums in 2004, I think). I didn't go into this planning any overarching agenda, things kinda developed as they went. What did you guys like, or not like? I dunno if we have enough people for another round-- I'll give it a few weeks to let Fabrux and Omega catch up if they want, and see if I get any inspiration for a new scenario.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Your research team studying the proto-saurians on Oasis files their report. The species in question is not sentient, and though their evolution definitely seems to be taking them in that direction, it’ll likely take a few million years. Though the decision is not up to you, your report will likely influence the decision makers. Do you believe this qualifies Oasis for Prime Directive protection? If so, outline a plan to “de-colonize” the planet. Assume that the report has not yet been made public, and that it may not be popular with all the settlers. If you don’t believe the Prime Directive applies, explain why not.

Orbital bombardment- wipes out saurians and paves the way for the development of mammialian life- just as the Preservers did with Earth.

Plus, you can just two a large asteroid into a collision course with the planet- a classic tactic to ensure no one pins it on you (and this report is not public, right?).

As always, you know the solution works when you can add a "BWHAHAHAHA!!" at the end of it and have the laughter fit right in.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

That's an option ...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Question Four
A.1) Snay: Riots have broken out on Darev V, including in the planetary capital. There has been destruction and the loss of life. With Nillavi forces occupied elsewhere, and police resources stretched to the limit on Darev V, the planet's governor has contacted Starfleet directly with a request for Federation troops to end the riot and restore order.

First of all, Nillavi is not a UFP member and as such the Prime Directive most certainly applies here to not interfere in the internal politics of another government. Secondly, UFP forces are not shock troops and will not be utilized as such to quell an uprising. I contact the Nillavi government and advise them as such, however I offer to send a mediation team with protection detail to help settle grievances if desired by both the Nillavi government and the rioters.

A.2) Soul-less Beacon: Nillavi refugee ships are headed for an unclaimed planet in system A9513. While in neutral space, the Senac are beginning to accuse the Nillavi of taking advantage of the situation by expanding out of their territory. The Senac request that Starfleet do something about this dangerous expansionism before it poses a threat to Senac sovereignty. Whatcha gonna do?

Besides the initial colonization of the Nillavi cluster, the Senac have been content stating within their star system and until now have not shown interest in system A9513 and I question their interest now. I send the Beresford over to the system to see if there is something interesting there that the Senac have not informed us about.

B) I enter into talks with the Nillavi government regarding a lease agreement on the industrial food replicators, stressing that these replicators will be operated, supervised, and maintained by Starfleet personnel and will be limited to foodstuffs ONLY. Any deviance from this guidelines will result in removal of the replicators.

C) The registration of the ship in question is checked against Nillavi records to determine if the Qorn crew's claims of legal purchase is true. Turns out, they're not telling the whole truth: the ship was lost with all hands during a skirmish with the T'g'nari several years ago and was presumed destroyed. They purchased the ship, all right: from the T'g'nari. The ship is impounded and appropriate authorities within the Nillavi government are contacted. The crew is evacuated from the ship and detained in isolation.

D) Boy, the Nillavi have some nerve, don't they? Pleading for help to quell rebellions, asking for food, and now complaining that we're interfering in their trade? They really need to decide what it is they want from the UFP. If they want help, they need to follow UFP law. UFP law specifically prohibits any trade/artificial techological acceleration of pre-warp, pre-unified government cultures. If the Nillavi want to continue trading with the Qorn, I have no choice but to suspend all aid to the Nillavi government and recall all replicators already in service.

E) Since neither ship has issued a distress signal or requested my assistance, I sit this one out. A conflect between two non-UFP governments is none of our business and we will rightfully stay away. Should either government request assistance, that is a different matter.

Question Five
A) Snay: Neither the Nillavi nor the T'g'nari have asked for our help in this situation. If the Nillavi were the agressors in this situation, the T'g'nari are fully within their rights to seek justice from the offending Nillavi vessel. If the T'g'nari were the agressors, the Nillavi seem to have managed to get away from the encounter for the time being and are on their own. Yes, we are currently involved in trade with the Nillavi, but without a formal request of assistance from them, it is not our responsiblity to get involved in their disputes with non-UFP members.

B) I shift the Aarchun to the general vicinity of Z436 and inform the Beresford to stay within 8 hour's travel of the system. When the next convoy arrives, the Aarchun will escort upon entry to the sector and the Beresford will join in.

C) Well this is just dandy. The remaining nation-states on Qorn are still conducting trade with the Senac and the Nillavi and I advise those governments that they may want to protect their interests. I stress to the Senac, however, that as UFP members they really shouldn't be conducting trade with a pre-warp culture and advise that they pull out and cut their losses. The Atieno is still in the area and will respond to any agressive action towards Senac vessels, however any interactions between the Qorn, T'g'nari, and Nillavi are really none of our business/concern unless a formal request for assistance is issued.

D) In a few million years, I doubt there will be anything resembling the UFP or its member races in existance. Any structures or infrastructure constructed on Oasis will likely be destroyed and buried by the time the Oasians have a level of intelligence to investigate. That being said, colonization on Oasis should be limited to those areas already settled, and any regions where the saurians are spotted will be declared off-limits. The population of Oasis should be limited to a few million to keep the impact to the planet low.

E) This one will require more thought, will answer later.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Objectively critique one of the other participants’ answers to part (E) of the previous question. Point out any strengths or weaknesses in their strategy, and feel free to examine the underlying political or philosophical assumptions of that strategy.
Federation law and Starfleet regulations require providing assistance to a ship in distress; this situation certainly appears to require a response. Further, swift, forceful action now may appease both sides to the point where a war between both sides might be avoided.

quote:
The first convoy has its own escort (two New Orleans-class frigates), but Starfleet has ordered you to redeploy your fleet to protect future convoys. The ships will be entering the sector from the “eastern” border, near system Z436. Although the Nillavi will contribute to the escort, they can only spare two of their patrol cruisers, and they’d prefer to keep them as close to their own territory as possible. Describe how you will reassign your ships to protect this new shipping route.
With the Tzenkethi relatively quiet, and sensor beacons fully placed on the sector's border, I will deploy Arcturus and Towson from their current patrol to convoy duty

quote:
It’s time to start picking up the pieces. Following the recent confrontations, two of the largest nation-states on Qorn have decided to form an alliance with the T’g’nari. Although the T’g’nari aren’t exactly turning into expansionists, they’re not very happy with the Federation or the Nillavi, and see this alliance as a necessary evil. Two T’g’nari warships are sent to patrol in the Qorn system, and a handful of trade ships are seen traveling the route between the two planets. React to this shift in the political landscape, and describe how you will redeploy your fleet, if necessary.
I am going to move the Maryland to Senec, where she and the Aba-Kur can provide a response force in case the T'g'nari and the Qorn team up or something...

quote:
Your research team studying the proto-saurians on Oasis files their report. The species in question is not sentient, and though their evolution definitely seems to be taking them in that direction, it’ll likely take a few million years. Though the decision is not up to you, your report will likely influence the decision makers. Do you believe this qualifies Oasis for Prime Directive protection? If so, outline a plan to “de-colonize” the planet. Assume that the report has not yet been made public, and that it may not be popular with all the settlers. If you don’t believe the Prime Directive applies, explain why not.
My report will outline the situation and I will ask my staff to identify similar situations which have occurred in the past so that they can be referenced; my feeling is that, at a minimum, the Federation should restrict the colony's growth.

quote:
It’s time to move on. Starfleet has decided to send you on to a new sector, and to replace you with a fresh Admiral to continue your work. As your last duty in this sector, you are to brief the new guy about what you’ve done. Read over your responses to all the previous questions. Define what Starfleet’s priorities should be in this sector, and your recommendations to your replacement as to what he or she should concentrate on.
Priorities are:

1.) Ensure the defense of the sector against the Tzenkethi
2.) Ensure that the conflict between the T'g'nari and Qorn, Nillavi, and the Federation do not explode into open warfare; promote harmony and understanding between these races.
3.) Continue to oversee the Federation's assistance to the Nillavi; if successful, this mission may strongly influence the Nillavi to join the Federation.

quote:
It's been quite a while since I did a scenario like this (last time was over at the SCN forums in 2004, I think). I didn't go into this planning any overarching agenda, things kinda developed as they went. What did you guys like, or not like? I dunno if we have enough people for another round-- I'll give it a few weeks to let Fabrux and Omega catch up if they want, and see if I get any inspiration for a new scenario.
I was not expecting the Tzenkethi to be such a red herring! I would have enjoyed if more of the scenarios had been expanded on in later questions -- what WAS the convoy to Nillavi? I assume it was cargo ... all in all, I really enjoyed.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

A+++ would play again

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps