Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Star Trek series announced! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: New Star Trek series announced!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering they haven't even started preproduction yet, I'm betting it'll be a while.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the whole thing might be bullshit- just hype to promote the (probably awful) new Trek movie

I would not put it past them.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New trailer that was originally planned for this weekend's Star Wars release leaked out today. It can be found, at least for now, on YouTube here. It will probably get shut down in a couple hours, if that.

I've heard that the fandom butthurt is strong in this one.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I was thinking the whole thing might be bullshit- just hype to promote the (probably awful) new Trek movie

I would not put it past them.

The problem with that theory is that CBS's new show has nothing to do with Paramount's new movie.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it gets fans talking Trek in a sea of Star Wars media madness.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator of New Series

So we've at least got one alumnus from previous Trek shows returning.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad he's also the guy who wrote Voyager's "Spirit Folk." [Wink]

Seriously, I don't hold that against him, we all make mistakes sometimes. Sounds like a good choice to me!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least he didn't write "Threshold", so there's that. If they're bringing back Trek alums they should really consider Moore or Behr. Not terribly thrilled the first one they tapped was from Voyager.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Honestly I think "Spirit Folk" is worse than "Threshold." But that's a discussion for another thread. [Wink]

I'm not bothered by which series the writer is from. I don't think they're going to try to recreate the series they worked on before. Trek is still Trek, and I'm more interested in the quality of the shows he or she has done after Trek. I think Bryan Fuller fits the bill nicely.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Fuller has previously expressed interest in both the Rebooted Film Universe and also the TOS era. I think it would be possible to do a Prime Universe TOS-era series, with some of the same design aesthetic, but newer tech (even if it looks a bit more modern than in most (all?) of the Classic Trek films. And NOT set on the Enterprise (in case that's not clear).

The way I see it, the era between season 3 TOS and The Motion Picture is, canonically, a blank slate. There's even some leeway with the dates depending on when you consider TMP to have taken place - there are a couple of threads I found on the subject:

http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/1374.html
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/647.html

So in a nutshell if you can retcon TMP to about 2276, you'd be looking at an effectively-TOS show starting in about 2270 which could run for 5 to 7 years without worrying about running into canonicity issues with TMP or needing for the crew to start wearing beige pyjamas. You could update the TOS uniform much as they did in the post-2009 films, and have a more modern bridge if maybe not quite as whizz-bang as the Abramsverse Apple-Store look.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicholas Meyer Joins New Series as Writer and Consulting Producer

Well holy frak.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

The writers of The Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness on the same writing team. If this doesn't create a universe-destroying shockwave from opposites coming into contact, I don't know what will. [Wink]

Sounds very promising!

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this is indicative of a late 23rd/early 24th century setting.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

Perhaps. Meyer has always been fond of the Horatio Hornblower In Space aspects of Trek which, at least as far as the history of the franchise is concerned, lends itself more to the 23rd century than the more antiseptic and rule-bound 24th. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that he would have had a good time on the DS9 set with Ron Moore and Ira Behr.

I suspect that CBS was getting worried that not enough of the fan-base would pony up for an online PPV series like this one is intended to be. Many folks on many forums were giving this new paradigm a big F.U. and I think the suits were actually picking up on that. This new development seems to have been a highly calculated response to that attitude - one that, IMO, was brilliantly conceived. I was originally going to wait until the episodes came out on BRD. Now? I think I'm going to be doing $7 a week for this one, just to see what's going to happen, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's flipped on this. Those brilliant bastards finally found the right fandom button to push.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it $6/month?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps