Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Chance Encounter

Author Topic: Chance Encounter
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://youtu.be/vuMFDtpjA3M

I actually enjoyed this little fan film a lot. Thoughts?

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visually good. The props and sets were great and fit well, other than the weak TMP costume. The hexagonal box could've been screen-used. There were weaknesses in FX but usually they didn't expose them too much save for one shot of the chasing shuttle departing with jerky camera motion. The old character was captivating in appearance and costume and seemed the best actor of the lot other than the security girl, who was also captivating despite her obvious Seven of T'Pol character.

Writing was often painful, both in broad concepts ("no place for love in our advanced society"? Oy), characterization, and such. There was basically never any doubt as to the identity of the old guy, and I cared not one lick for the blonde who unrealistically bared her soul and thoughts on society and connections between to a random dude. Basically, nobody talks like that.

Very little seemed plausible or believable. The Captain acts like the historian should be treated as dangerous (after having to explain to the bleeding-heart security officer that he should review the shuttle-thief-historian old guy's personnel file, which security guy hadn't done), then asks which individual person will be going along. The security guy later makes security girl uncomfortable with Anakin-level personal inquiries. He also continually insists the old historian is no threat, actively rejecting basic precautions, despite his earlier insistence that the guy had just nerfed their security systems.

Acting was adequate, given the bad material. I would happily watch the security girl and old guy again, and even the security guy with better writing. I already forgot the Captain.

Even one tech thing that I could stretch to believe . . . that they would have let the stolen shuttlepod of an old historian get a head start rather than lose their place on a long survey of a nebula wherein the ship could not move . . . is actually not presented that way. They acted as if they had no choice. There are a half-dozen ways to stop a shuttle theft and they availed themselves of none.

In short, this seems to have followed Paramount rules (with the possible exception of Ron Jones, unless that was all re-used music). And it was eh, which is what they wanted.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.