Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Discovery Season 2 Trailer

Author Topic: Discovery Season 2 Trailer
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2coob7np2LA&feature=youtu.be

--------------------
"I am going out to find myself. If I should get here before I return, please hold me until I get back."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sneeze is a bit over the top.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does make it feel a little like they heard people saying that The Orville was a better Trek show than Discovery, so they tried to copy it, but ended up copying the comedy parts instead of the Trek-y parts.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is going to sound weird, but I got a vibe from "The Alternative Factor" with mention of these galaxy-wide anomalies triggering panic. But I think it holds a lot of potential. It deals more with the unknown, the fantastic, and how our heroes can solve a puzzle. I see a lot more potential for actual Star Trek-like stories now.

Just how much they had planned from the beginning is debatable, of course, but for myself, I suspect they always planned to bring in Pike, Spock, and the Enterprise in season 2. Why else have Michael's relationship with Sarek so prominent in season 1? (Or at all, for that matter.)

I'm just puzzled (and a little worried) that we haven't heard anything about casting or appearance of Spock yet. I hope they don't pull some lazy trick where we don't actually see him on screen, despite big parts of the story seeming to be about him.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TPTB have claimed that they have cast Spock but aren't giving up details.

--------------------
"I am going out to find myself. If I should get here before I return, please hold me until I get back."

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new trailer shows a ship similar to a TOS D-7 (though of course they already had a D-7 that used the STD Klingon gnarled poop design style), as well as hairy Klingons. Supposedly they shave in wartime, which is a flimsy retcon.

1. Flashbacks from S1 showed hairless Klingon kids.
2. Mirror Voq was hairless.
3. We saw the leaders of all the houses in the pilot. They were all hairless.

This and other changes smell of a mid-series reboot of a reboot, but we'll see.

--------------------
G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Additionally, the newest trailer shows L'Rell, I am told, but there are changes beyond the hair. Note the revised area between the eyes, as if to create a more Klingon-like brow, as well as a general softening of the harshness . . . even her nose looks more dainty, and the lips have been de-Botox-ified.

http://www.st-v-sw.net/images/Trek/Alts/STD2-L'Rell1.png

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

(That said, her look hasn't been static anyway.

http://www.st-v-sw.net/images/Trek/Alts/STD2-L'Rell2.png

You can see variations in the lips and mouth generally, for instance, along with changes to secondary nostril sweep angle and so on.)

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, looks like some course corrections from the look of these trailers. But that’s normal. Heck, Just look at TNG. Quite a few changes after Season 1.

As for the DSC changes? Klingons with hair is good. Still wondering if/when we’ll deal with the human-looking Klingons, though. A more traditional Klingon ship is good. Most of all, though, I’m glad we’re getting a more traditional “trying to understand the unknown” Trek plot.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.