Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Short Treks "Children of Mars" ($$$)

Author Topic: Short Treks "Children of Mars" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decided to put this one in General Trek because it's more associated with Picard than Discovery.

So... I was not really all that impressed by this one, although I think a lot of that had to do with the soundtrack running through most of it.

We see Utopia Planitia, along with several ships being built. I'm scratching my head because some of them appear to be Disco-era ships. Could be that the episode is borrowing some of the 25th Century updates of Disco ships from Star Trek Online?

Then we see Utopia Planitia go kablooie, along with most of Mars? And it looks like these ships with the Federation logo are the ones doing it? What the heck?

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the biggest clue about the new series' premise comes from the chyron on the newscast: "ROGUE SYNTHS ATTACK MARS".That would certainly tie in Data, ex-Borg, & possibly Romulans, & explain why this girl Dahj is so special, & why Picard has such a crusading hard-on.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing was borrowed from STO. Those ships were unaltered Magee-class and Zimmerman-type ships from DSC. I’m just hoping that their appearance was due to lack of time/budget, and that the Picard show proper will actually give us proper late-24th century Starfleet vessels.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be nice to think the choice was a combination of economy and convenience - and discretion (in that, they want to save the good stuff for the proper TV show). The worry is though that the producers’ attitude was that a spaceship is a spaceship, who cares if it isn’t right?

It’s like when they judged that it was the stories and performances that mattered in the Enterprise-set Short Treks, and not the anomalous uniforms they were wearing.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least Eaves's ships are finally in the time period they belong to.

Apart from that it's just utterly idiotic. They could've used a Galaxy class and all would be well. I could've tolerated the Magee as a museum ship in overhaul but the tugs were the last straw.

Clearly whoever is in charge of continuity (if there is one at all) isn't worth his/her money.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Rogue synths" has an awfully "robot uprising"-y sort of vibe to it. That's the sort of thing that belongs well over on the "dystopia" side of sci-fi, away from Trek. I really hope they're not planning on going with some idea where the Federation is using sentient droids as some sort of labor force. It's bad enough that Voyager had that stuff about old-model EMHs being made to work in mines and stuff. I'd rather they forget about that, rather than doubling down on it.

Between this and Patrick Stewart's recent comment that TNG "was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun. [Picard] was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.", I'm concerned that modern Trek is just all going to be this "everything's corrupt" sort of world.

I mean, yes, since the beginning, Trek has had untrustworthy individuals in positions of power. I'm fine with the occasional admiral who wants a police state, like in "Paradise Lost". I'm also okay with something like Section 31, the way it was portrayed in DS9 : as an organization that's fully in the shadows, and that your typical Federation citizen would be horrified by if they knew it existed. But now we've got Discovery, where Section 31 just operates openly, and everyone seems okay with that. If "Children of Mars" is implying a Federation that unabashedly has robot slaves, I'm a lot more concerned about where Picard might be going than I was before.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
↑↑↑↑ This

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rouge-synths? Sound like red dwarf

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.