Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Kelvin Movie Announced - Prequel to 2009?

Author Topic: New Kelvin Movie Announced - Prequel to 2009?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Deadline:

quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Even as it continues to develop the final chapter in its main Star Trek series, Paramount is looking to further explore the IP. The studio has tapped Toby Haynes to direct a new film that expands on the Star Trek universe, with Seth Grahame-Smith penning the script. J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot is producing.

Sources tell Deadline that while plot details are being kept under wraps, the project is an origin story that takes place decades before the 2009 Star Trek film that rebooted the franchise. Insiders add that the final chapter in that main series, Star Trek 4, remains in active development.

Although there hasn’t been a film since 2016’s Star Trek Beyond, the brand remains as strong as its ever been behind popular Paramount+ shows like Picard and Strange New Worlds earning strong reviews and solid ratings. The Brian Robbins led-Paramount saw an opportunity to build on that popularity with multiple films in development the same way its streaming arm had multiple shows going at once.

In doing so, the studios hands over the reins to two individuals familiar with dealing with major IP. Haynes was the main director on the Star Wars series Andor, which has become one of the more critically acclaimed series in that own universe since Lucasfilm began developing series for Disney+. Andor is up for eight Emmys on Monday including Best Drama Series.

Because it's being produced by Bad Robot, I wonder if it is a prequel to the 2009 film set in the Kelvinverse. Guess we'll find out ... in the future!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how many times has "Fourth Kelvin Timeline Movie" been announced now? [Roll Eyes]

I'll believe it when I see it.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ In that case, I'll never believe it...since I won't see it...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So how many times has "Fourth Kelvin Timeline Movie" been announced now?
This would be the fifth, as from the article:

quote:
Insiders add that the final chapter in that main series, Star Trek 4, remains in active development.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Like anybody really needs to know what happens between about 2155 and around 2230 at the latest. Romulan War? The less that is looked at in detail, the better. Because as soon as you start to examine the whole “We fought a whole long war against these goons and yet never once saw one in the flesh or noticed how much they look like Vulcans” conceit, it falls apart. The ENT novel RW trilogy only managed it by having some people (Section 31, etc.) know about it but keep it secret so as not to embarrass the Vulcans or something… that, and also being really boring.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
“We fought a whole long war against these goons and yet never once saw one in the flesh or noticed how much they look like Vulcans”
When talked about in TOS, about an enemy that was only ever fought ship-to-ship, and only communicated with via radio, it made sense. Why deploy infantry when an orbiting starship could wipe them out without needing to send infantry?

But of course Enterprise retconned a lot of that with functional transporters, and visual communication, etc., and it makes it much more difficult. But we're also supposed to believe no one had ever met a Ferengi until "The Last Outpost" despite how integrated into galactic society they appeared to be only a few seasons later.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps