Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Cultural Diverisity on Starships (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cultural Diverisity on Starships
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there should be more cultural diversity on starships that best represent the "population" of the Federation.

If there is gonna be a new series or movies they should add other races to the extras of the crew.

I hate to belive that the "population" of the Federation is mostly terran, and the percentage of those terrans are mostly white.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be nice, but...

It costs a lot to create alien extras, especially in terms of time.

If you consider the human crews as a statistical sample of the humans on Earth, if anything they should have more Asians. Assuming the population wasn't radically altered by WWIII. Remember, following Asians, European is the most widely spread and numerous background, constituting as it does the majority population on four continents.

Notwithstanding, I'd love to see an Andorian bridge officer.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe all the Asians were killed during WWIII, but that's kinda hard to believe b/c right now there's 3. billion Asians and only 600 million people were killed in the war. There's probably some ships consisting of just 1 species like the all vulcan ship we saw in DS9.
IP: Logged
warbird5
Ex-Member

And there can't be that many humans since the population of the federation is somewhere between 5 and 10 trillion and the Terran population can't be more than 50 billion at the most.
warbird5
Ex-Member

BTW, i got the population of the Federation to be between 5 and 10 trillion from the estimate of Bashir's genetically altered friends. They said the Doiminion War will cost the Federation 900 billion lives. 900 billion is 9% of 10 trillion. 9% percent of the entire population of the Federation is real costly
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*WHACKS Warbird*

Warbird, you don't know how much I find that "asians die in WWIII" comment as very offensive. Watch your mouth mister. I mean it.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude calm down. Warbird did not mean anything by that statement. He was just throwing out an idea as to why you mostly see white terrans on starships.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, a large number of the world's Asians live in the general area that a large number of the world's nuclear weapons are pointed at.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

warbird5
Ex-Member

dude, i didn't mean to offend anyone, btw i'm asian myself
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not good enough! You must now report for sensitivity training.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, during the Eugenics wars, Khan supposedly controlled a quarter of the planet, over in that area. Perhaps the Asian population was reduced then. Also, the vast majority of the population in Asia is in China. In our timeline, China is so overcrowded that they have to institute population control methods (taxing people who have multiple children, and such). Perhaps, in the Trek timeline, they took more... active measures to reduce the population.

Then, add to all that the people who would be killed in WW3 (at least some of them had to be Asian), and you might just have enough of a difference to place Europeans and their descendants in the majority.

BTW, I agree that the population of the Federation can't be mostly Terran. But we don't usually see a good cross-section of the UFP population. We see starship crews. It's more plausible that Starfleet has a large human population. (Not that it seems like it would be likely, but we've seen what we've seen...)

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who would like to see a German Starfleet officer?

* = First anti-German people remark will earn a visit from the Sovereign's security staff, armed with phasers and tetreon pulse launchers

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

warbird5
Ex-Member

i doubt humans make up the majority of StarFleet, They make up 25% of Starfleet and this is really disproptionate with their size in the Federation. I believe Starfleet groups people of the same race and species together. I also doubt the Asian people were all killed off. Asians make up more than half the population of the world now with 3.5 billion people. The Eugenics War wasn't all that deadly or least compared to WWIII. I doubt more than 50 million people died in the Eugenics war since it wasn't classified as a World War.
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it could be a cultural thing, too... Maybe most 'asian' people just don't want to space travel. Asian culture is far far different from the Western mindset.

------------------
"I suppose you thought I was dead? No such thing. Don't flatter yourselves that I haven't got my eye upon you. I am wide awake, and you give plenty to look at."
Household Words, Aug. 24, 1850
From the Raven in the Happy Family

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey though - how many ships have we seen over the entire run of star trek - not many at all...

I reckon - but no one listens that there are ships like mostly terrans, mostly vulcans, mostly tellarites, mostly betzoids, mostly bolians, caitians, deltans, acturians, saurians, benzites, klaestrene, berengarians, galamites and trills, - I mean would you like to serve on a Betazoid ship - and be the only human... you would get SO paranoid. You'd end up being treated as a pet...

DS9 cause its a station - you get a more varied population but even still there seem to be less humans (Only Sisko, Bashir and O'Brien...) and we see a lot more Bolians than usual too)

Also - maybe since the E-D was the Federation flag ship - it had to be more of a representation...) Although there were no Andorians, Troi was half betzoid, Worf was raised by human parents and Data was and Human looking Android. The T'Plan Hath is probably a Vulcan majority crew and the Bokaarin is probably mostly Benzite. (yeah I made those last two up).

Also remember the Bajoran Militia were going to be absorbed into Starfleet Security - I doubt they'd be spread around the Federation - they'd probably just change uniforms.

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps