Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Native Americans in Starfleet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Native Americans in Starfleet
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture today. In the Rec Room scene, there were several different types of people visible. One that particulary struck me were two Native Americans, female and male, who wore the sterotypical feathers and beads in there hair and as necklaces and such.

I would think this kind of decoration would be only ceremonial, and not worn during standard duty hours. I know Chakotay doesn't wear any kind of Native American clothing or other. So, why would these people be wearing it?

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the rec. room scene? Maybe they like to wear those things because it identifies them as native Americans and they enjoy wearing items of apparel that identify them as such? After all, it was the rec. room.

I know lots of folks who wear cowboy hats, bluejeans and boots, who haven't been near a horse or a steer for most of their adult life. They just like to wear the accoutrements of their ancestors. There's lots of guys who wear John Deer hats who don't own (or need) tractors as well.

--Baloo

------------------
"Lassie, her ears pricked up!"
--Atoth the Tamarian [From "Star Trek: Door Repair Guy"]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was the Rec Room, but it was when the entire crew was there, not when people were just playing games and such. Also, the two people wearing the stuff were not standing together at all, and apparntly weren't associated with each other (I can only assume).

One odd thing though. The old man looked exactly like the stereotypical "old Indian man". Dark, wrinkly skin, narrow eyes, and, of course, the feathers.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are better scenes that show them, but here are images of one:

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"So, anyways, this is the 24th century. Starfleet officers have injections once a month or so so that they don't go getting each other pregnant. How would it be a problem for my character and Joral to be rocking the casbah?" - Fabrux

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it isn�t considered canon, but one TAS-episode that I know of featured a native-american in a leading role on an away-mission

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can imagine two possibilities. One, the scene is supposed to be a visual testimony to Roddenberry's vision of a harmonious future. That message might override technical consistancy.

Two, this scene was cast with fans. That might simply have been how those two were dressed when they arrived at the studio.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three, perhaps these people in the rec room are supposed to be references to TOS episodes, and the two are from "Paradise Syndrome"? That episode featured a transplanted native American society where such decorations were worn in normal daily life. So, Starfleet regulations allowing, these people would also wear feathers etc. in regular duty hours, even if most actual 23rd century native Americans from Earth would consider that silly to the extreme.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, on the second picture you can see Odo!

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: Along those lines, were any references ever made in TOS or the movies to how strict SF dress code is? We know that, by the current era, they don't even allow Bajorans to wear their ear decorations; I'm sure they wouldn't allow full native American dress. But that's now. Do we know how they were then?

------------------
me: "I need a new sig..."
CC: "Well create one."
-why I don't have a real signature

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they let Scotty wear a Kilt.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered how Worf has been able to get away with wearing his baldric even as a Lt J.G., yet on at least two occations, we've seen Bajorans made to remove their earrings. The two items basically have the same functions, and the two races share basically the same relationship with the Federation: Allies but not members. Care to explain?

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in "Enisgn Ro", the Bajorans weren't really allies, were they?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we know they were at least friendly. At some time before that, SF had apparently been really big on getting Bajorans into Starfleet (this is from Voyager's recent episode "Good Shepherd", for those of you who haven't seen it and wonder where I came up w/ this). You'd think, if SF wants so many Bajorans, they'd let them wear their little clip-on earrings...

------------------
me: "I need a new sig..."
CC: "Well create one."
-why I don't have a real signature

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Timo, there is one flaw. Prime Directive. The people on Miranamee's planet were obviously pre-warp, and therefore, could not join the Federation.

------------------

The 359 Webpage

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, they were human, and had been plucked from Earth by an advanced alien race. The argument could be made that the Prime Directive doesn't apply.

Though personally, I'd imagine the Federation would probably leave them there, at least until further study could be done.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps