Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Where are all the other aliens? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where are all the other aliens?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, Kirk and company seemed to be pretty familiar with Klingon occupation practices during their day, which suggests that the Klingons at least had some.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

HrafnWif
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda resist the idea that Klingons practice planetary genocide on a regular basis. (Murder & mayhem, yes). Remember that killing an entire population was *bad* even for the CARDASSIANS...re. their reaction to the Founder's proposal in the final arc of DS9.

But how many races have warp drive? Wouldn't it be likely that if the client state, excuse me, planet, DIDN'T have warp drive that the imperial state would refuse to hand the technology over? And in that case the locals wouldn't be able to get away and on-camera so to speak.

------------------
...but the universal nature delights in change, and in obedience to her all things are done well...

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I follow. Sure, the Cardassians were opposed to genocide then, but, uh, that's kind of because they were on the recieving end.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garak once tempted Worf with that "what's a little genocide between friends" rhetoric, in "Broken Link". This could indicate that he knew Klingons actually LIKED genocide, and thus Worf could see the reason and come in help of Garak. Or it could mean Garak knew Klingons LOATHED genocide, and Worf would take so much offense that he'd attack in rage, so Garak could kill him more easily and go on with his genocidal task.

Garak's aim of eradicating the Founders need not indicate a general Cardassian taste for genocide, though. Garak is an ends-justify-the-ends-of-entire-worlds sort of guy who kills when necessary, be it one person or billions. Dukat might not agree with him at all.

Cardassians might spread a reputation of themselves as genocidal monsters, though. They sort of did that for "Chain of Command" already, to entrap Picard. They might have used fear as a weapon in subjugation of Bajor and other planets. In actual fact, they are the most pragmatic-sounding race of them all, and they also are the only one with explicit subject and slave races and minions. I very much doubt they would support genocide, regardless of later-day Dukat's lunatic rantings.

Small-scale killing seems to be just a tool for them, though - in addition to the public executions of the occupation era, they can even rig the whole Terok Nor to automatically explode in case of a mutiny.

Timo Saloniemi

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey wait didn't the Dax mention something about the Klingons killing all the tribbles in (errr...I...can't remember the name of the espisode) isn't that genocide .

------------------
Somehow you were linked to this page, which doesn't really exist. Well, this one does, but the one you were trying to get to doesn't. Actually, that's not really true either, because it probably does, but either you mistyped it or our webmaster is asleep at the wheel. If the later is the case (you were linked here from a page within **********.net) then please let us know.

If you were linked here from an external site, which is most often the case, it would be nice of you to let them know.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Not in the strictest sense of the term, no.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps