Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Krenim vs. The Alpha and Beta Quadrants! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Krenim vs. The Alpha and Beta Quadrants!
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now being home from college, and having my usual computer (with all my other projects on it) in the shop, I am now officially bored. Therefore, I have decided to take on perhaps my greatest cartographical project to date: The Alpha and Beta Quadrants!

Yes, that seed of an idea has been slowly growing in my brain ever since I stumbled on that Deep Space Nine thread where someone suggested that a Alpha/Beta Quadrant map by me could perhaps settle an argument. Not having one, I couldn't help, thus this project.

However, I cannot do this alone. I require your help. I need to compile as much data on the structure of the Alpha/Beta Quadrants as is humanly possible, as stated onscreen. Any piece of data would be appreciated. For each, I need:

Required:

- Starting point.
- Destination.

Any (or all) of the following:

- Travel time.
- Warp factor.
- Heading (not bearing, bearings are useless).

Or, if a place is mentioned to be near another place, you could mention that.

Be sure to include the series and episode from which your nugget(s) of information originates.

Information on the location of real stars mentioned in Star Trek would also be of immense help.

Of course, there are some contradictions I will most likely have to gloss over (like the Earth-Bajor travel time problem), but I'll do my best.

------------------
"Not so fast, Space Clown! My time-space manipulator has assembled an army of invisible cavemen to block your reverse polarity ray!"

- Future Man, Curses, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek Dimension (www.stdimension.de) already covers most of that ground, featuring maps of real stars superimposed onto a quardrant map and so on. Of course, your views on the subject may differ.

Boris

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cracks a grin*
Tal Shiar--coughcough--Cartographic Survey

------------------
The above post was mulled-over, composed, and posted during time Tom would have better spent on his plethora of homework and homework-related exercises. Now don't you feel special?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Background information for which is still sitting with the rest of my documents. FYI.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris: Yes, he does have a vast table of real stars, but I'd want to get permission before using it, and I don't think he particularly liked me when he was here a few months ago.

The Tal Shiar project... I'd forgotten about that... How far did you guys get on that, anyway?

------------------
"Not so fast, Space Clown! My time-space manipulator has assembled an army of invisible cavemen to block your reverse polarity ray!"

- Future Man, Curses, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't mind adding a few points that I summarised with my map explanations a while ago.

Here are a few:

Romulan Space must be close to the Federation - in particular Earth.

1. For a 'war' to be conducted in low-warp ships
2. For the sector numbering Terran System sector 001 the Romulan neutral zone sector numbers 30 I think.
3. In Past Tense - when the timeline had been changed - the Romulans were the closest spacefaring civilisations - they had settlements on the usually densly populated Rigel system planets.

The Borg ship from BOBW - had to approach Earth from the area of Wolf 359 (The Best of Both Worlds)

Klingon Sector numbers are in the low hundreds... and the Cardassian Sector numbers are in the 10 000's (The Wounded)

The Klingon Empire DEFINATELY boarders with the UFP and the RSE. but not necessarily with the CU - since the Klingon ships in "The Way of the Warrior" had had a long journey... and that it was going to be hard for the Klingons to keep the Territory they had captured from the Cardassians. (The Way of the Warrior) (Broken Link) re Arcanis (The Trouble With Tribbles) re deep space station K7 - the K maybe a reference to the Klingon Neutral Zone. The Battle of Klack'Dkel Bracht - (The Sword of Kahless) Khitomer (The Undiscovered Country), (Heart of Glory) et al

The Federation boarders with the Gorn
Cestus III is still a Federation colony and is on the other side of the Federation from Space Station Deep Space Nine. (Family Business) (Arena)

The Ferengi have to be closer to the Cardassians and Far away enough from the Federation to not have contact until the beginning of the year 41000 (Encounter at Farpoint) Quark's presence on Terok Nor (Emissary et al.)

The Ferengi are 'far away from home' if they are in the Romulan Neutral Zone as well as Talarians... (Heart Of Glory)

The Ferengi must lie close to the Breen - since the Breen traded warp technology secrets for their poles and several icy moons.

The Klaestron - both members of the UFP and allies with The Cardassian Union - must lie close to the Cardassian Union. (The have a long friend ship) (Dax) It must also be close to DS9 for the quick arrival of the people in question in "Dax". Also convenient for Dr. Bashir's replacement by a shapeshifter when he was supposed to be going to a conference there.

Praxis and thus Q'Onos must lie close to the Alpha/Beta Quadrant boarder or actually be in the Beta Quadrant... For Sulu and the Excelsior to be close enough to be picking up the distress signals from Brigadier Kurla. (The Undiscovered Country)

Cardassia and Talaria lie on the "Western Side" of the UFP - according to the Encylopaedia.

The Tholian Assembly must lie close to the Klingon Empire to be pulled into conflict in the advent of a Klingon civil war. They must also lie close to the Romulans and the Federation to need to be included in Discussions between the two powers. (Homefront)

The inner worlds of the Federation probably include Vulcan, Andor, Tellar, Earth, the Rigel system and Berengaria. (In the Cards)

I'm sure there are others on my list - since this was all off by heart...

Andrew

Oh the Hypurian System must lie close to or now be part of the Ferengi Alliance - since the war between the two worlds and the now apparent 'slave' situation of the Hypurian people. (The Nagus) (The Rules of Aquisition) et al.

The Xendi Sabu system probably lies outside the boundaries of the Federation and possibly with in the boundaries of the Ferengi Alliance. (The Battle)

The Neberrite Alliance is VERY far away from DS9. (The Way of the Warrior)

Galornden Core is in or close to the Romulan Neutral Zone. (The Enemy) (Unification)

Romulus/Remus and Vulcan must not lie too far away from one another for the Ships in "Unification" To get very far.

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The inner worlds of the Federation probably include Vulcan, Andor, Tellar, Earth, the Rigel system and Berengaria. (In the Cards

Who live on Berengaria?

------------------
If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

-Tool, "Opiate"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Berengarians, I imagine.

But wait, wasn't that an Animated Series reference? Wasn't Berengaria the planet with those dragons?

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Berengaria was mentioned by the Kai in 'In the Cards'. And now, for knowing that fact, I shall shoot myself.

As for the Tal Shiar Cartographic Survey, its been long dead. We got as far as any three people get when they try to take on a task that is just too ridiculously large. Get the picture. Sol, what stuff do you still have left from that?

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahem... Rigel is 900 light-years from Earth... I wouldn't use it as an arguement about the Romulans, or make it a core Fed world... :-)

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Writeups on planets Voyager has encountered written in a charmingly Romulan style. But only from the first season.

So far.

------------------
--
M. Doughty

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I might have to check my facts about the Rigel system... whatEVER system it is - it has to be - Kira mentioned it in "Past Tense" and it was frequently a 'system' from TOS - I think that planet Pike was on with the Castle was one of those systems... I'll have to check the encyc which is upstairs... but leaving that name out there is a lot of evidence for Romulus to be closer to Earth than Q'Onos is... (Past Tense, The Cage/The Menagerie)

First contact with the Klingons happened at least 150 years after first ontact with the Romulans. (Encyc & TOS, The Balace of Terror)

Tzenkethi must be close to Federation and also be close to DS9 since the Defiant was sent there to 'fly the flag' why not anyone else... (The Adversary)

I reckon that Talos V - is close to Earth - for the SS Columbia?? to get there. (The Cage/The Menagerie)

I reckon Qualor II and Vulcan and the Romulan Neutral Zone are close by to each other (Unification)

------------------
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krenim: I guess Christian (ST Dimension) would be glad to share his findings with you. He was only a bit disappointed that no one seemed to be interested in his project a couple of months ago.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

He could have hung around and discussed it at this forum - yet he dissappeared.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't arguing against the Romulans' being close. I agree completely. And you're right about what system Rigel is. But Rigel is a real star, and it's 900ly away. That's all I'm trying to say.

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.