Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What about a new Star Trek series (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What about a new Star Trek series
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they make a new Star Trek series, which they probably will do after Voyager, what do you think it should be about?

I would kind of like to see more of the 29th century established in "Future's End" and "Relativity". The time period has somewhat been created, I mean, the uniform design, commbadge, and even LCARS interface. And we could also see a lot of time traveling and interaction with the past, 24th century? Maybe even showing how Starfleet of the future played important roles in pivotal events of Star Trek history. Just a thought.

Another interesting premise would be a series based in the mirror universe. But I like my first idea better, the mirror universe is insteresting and makes for great episodes, but maybe not for a series.

Hobbes

Federation Starship Datalink

------------------
"If you prick me, do I not...leak" - Data.

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an interview with the evil Rick Berman, at the great link. He says they are talking about a new series, but may wait a little while after voyager.

------------------
INSURRECTION

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the designs of the USS Relativity, Starfleet's fling with 3D consoles ("The Visitor") either didn't happen or ended up being a fad.
IP: Logged
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a show based on a Klingon warship would be cool.

------------------
I still need help with getting a new sig. file, but I have two days of class left, then three days of finals, WOOHOO! Now, if I could just my girl to lighten up a bit.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, a new series based on 29th century Starfleet would ROCK! That would be very interesting to see...all the different types of timeships from ships like the Aeon to ships like Relativity. Even better to see would be the 29th century fighting ships, or would they just go back in time and change things whenever a confilct broke out?

------------------
I did it! I did it all! And I'm damn proud of it too!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would seem to violate their temporal Prime Directive.

Any time travel series would be frighteningly complex. The only one that has ever lasted more then a season, to my knowledge, is Quantum Leap, and that's about as far from a "starship in time" concept as possible.

------------------
"You hear about 'constitutional rights,' 'free speech,' and the 'free press.' Every time I hear these words I say to myself, 'That man is a Red!!...' You never hear a real American talk like that!"
--
Mayor Frank Hague, Jersey City

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug* Well then, why not? Chances are the next series will either be the Next Next Generation, or something else. . . and why not this? People have in the past mentioned possibles shows that: show the birth of the Federation; are set in Kirk's time; involve Sulu and the Excelsior; or are anthology shows with all of the above and more. The time-travel concept would give the perfect opportunity.

There are pitfalls: they can't mess with 'canon' history, and any show would be prone to immense scrutiny and dissection by the fans ("but we KNOW that starship had already been destroyed by then!"); it would be very expensive, especially in sets - they'd have to use a lot of the "Relics"-style trickery, plus virtual sets like B5 and Crusade have used.

Abd you have to wonder. . . why reintroduce the 29th-century time-travelling Starfleet now?

("Future's End" really wasn't very good, Captain Braxton and his motives seemed disntinctly unlike the Trek we know - faced with that sort of a disaster, do you think Kirk or Picard would go back in time to murder 150 people? No way! They'd try something else. . . plus I'd like to think that an experienced time operative would do a lot better if cast adrift than Braxton did.)

. . . sorry, ranted there. But the reappearance of this storyline could indicate they might be considering it.

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No more Star Trek series please. It has lost it's glamour and splendor.

Look at Star Wars, 20 years it be blowin' up the spot.

Wait another 20 years and i'll be excited for a new series.

------------------
Homeboy in Outerspace
(The only surviving fan of UPN's Homeboyz in Outer Space)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First One: The problems you point out don't stop at "Future's End." Without giving anything away, "Relativity" features more of the same, including a very odd moral position on behalf of folks from the future. I have extremely little confidence in any time travel show.

------------------
"You hear about 'constitutional rights,' 'free speech,' and the 'free press.' Every time I hear these words I say to myself, 'That man is a Red!!...' You never hear a real American talk like that!"
--
Mayor Frank Hague, Jersey City

Simon
Ex-Member

I agree, I can't see a time travel show working in the Trek universe. The format is very different from the standard Trek one, and many Tek conventions would have to be abandoned. As well the history of Star Trek is so long and convoluted that any show revisiting it would end up blowing continuity to shreds.
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a series based on Section 31? You could start out by introducing a character that's trying to bring down the organization. Make the show deviant with twist and turns, space battles, and villains that never die. You could have him not getting along with his superiors, saving the federation his own way. You have the optimism of Starfleet, and the shady dealings of an organization that should have never existed. We all know what would happen in the final.
Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...that sounds just a little bit like X-Files.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts exactly ....lol
No limits...

Simon
Ex-Member

That would be interesting. It would entail droping the ensemble cast that Star Trek has alaways had, but it would be entertaining.
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose I ought to register my opinion as well. I think an anthology series allows writers enough room to do whatever they want without seriously violating history or continuity if Star Trek wants to keep going with the "social justice" style-episodes. I would also comment that the Section 31 idea would fit nicely with an anthology series where they could do a cloak-and-dagger episode every month or so. (I've tried my hand at spy fiction and it's extremely hard to churn out plots consistently enough for a regular series).

(This is really wishful thinking, but) on the subject of continuity, I think if an anthology series were to be used and computer generated scenery got inexpenive enough (in part, probably, to George Lucas and cheaper and cheaper computers), continuity would be easier to maintain since ST historians could double check plots and change registry numbers, ship names, planetary bodies, even dialogue if they really got good at it. (I'm sure they'd have tons of volunteers for that job!)

The one recurring problem, which in all likelihood will never be solved, is that the above hypothesized historians would have to be allowed powers of revision that could have a chilling effect on writers' creativity (and civilty within the ST staff). Producers would also be resistant to having others veto complicated, and money-making, projects they work so hard to make. Alas, I'm pessimistic Star Trek would ever get to a state like this...

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps