Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starship Officers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starship Officers
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering about different types of officers on a starship.
So far
from TOS
Captain-Kirk
XO-Spock
Science Officer-Spock
Chief Medical Officer-McCoy
Records Officer?-Finney
Chief Engineer-Scotty
Communications Officer?-Uhura
Security Officer-??
TNG
Captain-Picard
XO-Riker
Science Officer-Data?
Chief Medical Officer-Pulaski/Crusher
Chief Engineer-LaForge
Chief Security Officer-Worf

So how many different "command" roles are there?

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Data was the operations officer, which is basically the science officer and the navigator thrown into one position.

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not so sure about "navigator". I thought that's the pilot's position. But he probably does have access to the Navigator program. The Ops position basically handles internal and external sensors, and some ship operations, like buzzard collectors, warp shells, and such.

The Pilot's console ALSO has access to the Operations Console, namely external sensors.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The operations officer handles...the ships operations. Assigning lab A to science team B, making sure the botany staff jumps through all the right hoops, etc.

*eye twitches madly*

Bussard. Bussard collector.

------------------
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Pull your body for a moment from your soul.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like every console on the bride of the E-D could do everything, actually... Which makes sense, since the consoles were variable to begin with.

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Buzzard Collectors

{Enter Paris, holding fried bird upside down}
Paris: Good hunting today. I'm glad I put extra time into optimizing the buzzard collectors last night on the Delta Flyer.
Chakotay: But I'm starting to get sick of just eating buzzard when I want a fresh bird not from the replicator. You'd think Starflett would of bothered to put in chicken and turkey collectors ...]
Paris: Only Picard has those luxuries ...

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Tolstoy, on a more objective note.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ROTFLMAO!!!*
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*smacks, karate chops, drop kicks, and suplexes SCSImperium*

Oh SHUT UP!!!! *L*

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still a little sore about the silly discussion on the flame boards? Well, if I can make one person laugh, the joke is worth while ...

Maybe I'll get around to responding to some of the anger filled, slurred posts when I get around to it.

------------------

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unspoken rule here, Scuzz-o-matic: Never let a flamewar spill over into the rest of the forums. There was a time when I thought Fo2 an empty-headed animal food-trough wiper, due to a flamewar (I quickly changed my opinion, don't worry, First ), but I don't believe that I ever insulted him or otherwise insinuated that he was a dumbo outside the flameboard. If you've got something to say in anger, go there. That's why we have a flameboard in the first place.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, Tahna was speaking in the spirit of fun anyway. notice the *L* for laughter.

Or possibly liver. Mmm...liver...

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also Tactical officer, which is what Worf was as well. I'm not sure if he was Tactical officer before Tasha died, and he just got the cheif Security officer position as well, or whether the Head of security on the Enterprise is also the Tactical officer (in FC, Riker steers Worf over to the tactical console, but it seems that other people act as Head of security in that movie, including the guy who is so impressed by the Borg he claims they have assimilated several decks below the bottom of the station. Now that's efficiency.

It should be noted that "Head of Operations" (O'Brian) is different from Operations Manager/chief (Data/Kim), which sounds like one of those IT jobs where you can get away with improving your minesweeper scores instead of working.

DS9 never had a tactical officer, but presumably Kira or Worf did it when the situation arrose. Worf would have done it on the Defiant too, although I remember Kira occasionally sitting at the Tactical station.

"Conn" was introduced for TNG. Confusingly, since Kirk would say in TOS "Mr blah, you have the conn", refering to "The bridge", Conn, presumably short for "flight controller", if you can't spell, was Wesley/Ro/Jadzia/Nog. It combined the original series helm and navigation, and was so easy even a monkey could do it, probably. (That's based on the fact that Ro - hardened criminal, Jadzia - science officer with tits, and Nog - an engineer in training; all sat there).

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I wonder what Worf did on the bridge when Tasha was there. He just basically hung around the science stations, not really doing anything.

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

SCSImperium
Member # 397

Didn't know the L was for laughter. And I wasn't necessarily referring to anyone person when describing the posts.

I never take anger into a debate, or as it is on these and many other boards, flamewar. Most of the topics I take on aren't fiery passions, but endeavors to eaven out a situation where everyone agrees with just one side of an issue.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SCSImperium (edited August 20, 2000).]

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The word Conn is a naval one, and means to direct the steering of a ship. It acurately applies both to the command of the ship (Kirk's "You have the Conn") and to the actual hands-on navigation ("Mr.Crusher, take the Conn.")

Conn in TNG combines most of the duties of Helm and Navigator from TOS.
OPS includes the duties formerly assigned to the bridge Engineering station.
Communications has now been bundled with Tactical.
In TOS, Sulu was in charge of the weapons and gave orders to Security, meaning that most of the duties later assigned to Tactical were part of Helm in TOS.
Worf was DS9's Tactical Officer, and Sisko said something about needing one now when he asked him to stay.

When Worf wore Red (first seanson TNG), the Encyclopedia says he was a Relief Conn Officer. However, he sure looked and acted like he reported to Tasha Yar.

Conn wears red. Captain and First Officer wear red (Except for a certain Doctor in command of a Medical Ship). All Admirals wear red. _Some_ Chief Engineers wear red (Argyle, first season).
Conclusion, Command branch is more a designation than a position. A Chief Engineer might be a Command Officer assigned to command of Engineering, or it might be an Engineer assigned to command of his section. Only Conn seems to require Command Branch, and this makes some sense as Conn could be viewed as controlling the ship.
Engineering and Tactical/Security are actually divisions of Operations Branch, though seperate enough to warrent their own Senior Officers.
Like above, Medical (and Councelor) is technically part of Sciences, but is handled seperately.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps