Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Previous Rumours

Author Topic: The Previous Rumours
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested in the fan history of Star Trek.
What were the most popular rumours for the current Star Trek series? Were there any rumours who got it right?
The only one I know is the Star Trek:Excelsior series, wich is still going around.

------------------
"Human race in tha house!" KoRn & Kittie, This Town
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only current series is Voyager, since the others have all ended.

The rumours currently floating around are these (among others):
- Voyager gets home before the final episode.
- At least one, maybe two of the main characters are killed in the process of getting home (most likely: Chakotay, Neelix, Harry or Janeway).
- We're going to see the Romulans again.
- Troi and Barcley will be seen at least ones more (This one seems very likely).
- When Voyager returns we will see a lot of well known others like O'Brien and doctor Zimmerman who will be celebrating the homecoming.

Some have variants floating around.

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worf will be added to the cast in an attempt to bolster Federo-Klingon relations...heh...

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that's not what I meant.
I meant the rumours that were going around *before* the 3 modern series were going in production, like now with Series V.

I hope I'm clear now 8-B

------------------
"Human race in tha house!" KoRn & Kittie, This Town
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since all 3 modern series started before the internet became a popular phenomenon, I suspect there wasn't nearly as many rumors as there are today. Such rumors would had to have spread via ancient technologies like telegraphs, telephone, newsletter, and (ugh) personal contact!

I wasn't involved in any clubs, so I've never heard of any rumors.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a few rumors I'd heard before Voyager debuted. First, that the ship was supposed to have half the crew being human, and the other half being Klingon. This of course was just miscommunication stemming from a half-human half-Klingon crewMEMBER.

Another rumor was that once Voyager was lost in the Delta Quadrant, they were supposed to routinely do battle with space pirates a la Buck Rogers-style. I suppose the Kazon were meant to be the "pirates." It's too bad that they ended up being like gang members instead - space pirates would have been more interesting.

Finally, I had read in a comic or magazine that the show was supposed to revolve around the "Maki" (yes, that's how it was spelled) who were aliens who broke away from the Federation and would end up being part of the crew. Apparently the person who wrote the article had never seen Star Trek in his/her life, and was just going by what someone else told them.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hearing that Linsay Wagner (The Bionic Woman), would be cast as the Captain of Voyager.
Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were some heavy rumours about why the captain of Voyager was replaced (by Kate Mulgrew) during the shoot of Caretaker. Including that the previous person (with some weird French name) did not like the concept of Voyager.

The previous person was romoured of saying a much more emotional "Fire!" in the scene where the Caretaker is going to be destroyed.

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genevieve Bujold was originally cast as Janeway. The article I read about her dismissal was that she refused to play Janeway as a confident captain character. When they shot the scene where they destroyed the Caretaker, she would just kind of whisper, "Fire" like she was really sad and not that confident in the decision. They tried it a few times and finally just took her aside and told her it wasn't going to work out.

I was in college when the show premiered and I don't remember very many rumors. The basic concept was pretty much always there. The "final" design of the ship changed. The Doctor originally had a name, Dr. Zimmerman, which eventually got changed to his programer's name. The entire plot conflict between the maquis and Starfleet was resolved in the first couple of episodes, but other than that, I think it stayed pretty much the same.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I remember one small rumour saying Voyager was a step foreward in the future and that Jake Sisko and *gulp* Wesley Crusher were grown up. In fact, one of them was supposed to be the Captain of the new ship, with the other serving on it as well...

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: No, Zimmerman was the programmer's name. The HOloDoc was eventually supposed to pick this name for himself, but then they decided not to. In fact, the closed captioning in early episodes says "Dr. Zimmerman" if the HoloDoc says something offscreen and it has to be specified who's speaking.

------------------
"Count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five."
-They Might Be Giants, "Certain People I Could Name"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: All I remember is the TV guide issue that profiled all the crew members and the new ship about a month before the series premiered. It listed Robert Picardo as Dr. Zimmerman, a holographic physician. Maybe they were paraphrasing or just didn't get it right.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard the reason that Bujold left was that she was used to a slower pace, and wasn't prepared for the "hustle" that filming a TV series called for, so she stepped aside.

Just what I heard!

------------------
Jeff's Webcam
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"The Eiffel Tower ... the worlds' largest lightening rod!" MacLeod to Kalas before taking his head atop the Paris landmark

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'll have to go and grab my old Sci-Fi Mags like Starburst ect. from 1993/1994/1995 There are a whole heap of really cool "rumours" in the 'news' pages of these mags. Quite interesting to see where they got it right and where they got it wrong... although at the time they might have got it write its just that the Producers changed their minds.

I remember that Majel Barrett-Roddenberry came to Brisbane in 1994 (My first Trek convention) anyway she was talking about a new series of comicbooks that were based on Gene's old scripts (She came again in 1996 with Marina Sirtis - where she just got off the phone to tell us that "Earth: Final Conflict" had just been given the OK for a Pilot. At the time it was to be called Battleground: Earth.

She was actually on her 'cell phone'/'mobile phone' to the side of the stage just before she came on!

Anyway back to this comic book story thing... there was a whole idea and back story and it was curious that one of the characters was a young girl who lived her whole life in the time frame of 9 years...

Anyway I asked her the next time she came about this character and she said she didn't know what I was talking about...

I've always wondered if she didn't know what I was talking about or that maybe she wasn't allowed to talk about it - that she had sold the idea to Voyager?? Or something.

Who knows!?!

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps