Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » *Colonel* West (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: *Colonel* West
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure this topic has been over-debated, but then again, it keeps us off the streets..

Could it be that this Colonel (wich is a military rank, not a naval) is a Colonel of the Starfleet Marines? Or do they use naval ranks for the Marines as well?

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Could it be that this Colonel (wich is a military rank, not a naval) is a Colonel of the Starfleet Marines?

Either this or an Army-officer. But IMO he was a Colonel of the Marines. This fits better to the naval Starfleet rank-system.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited October 22, 2000).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the ribbons on the uniform for some of the Starfleet officers like Colonel West.

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The navy is military, too, y'know...

And the marines and army use approximately the same rank structure, both of which include "colonel".

'Course, do we know if he was actually a full colonel, or maybe a lieutenant colonel? :-)

------------------
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
-Yasir Arafat on religious wars

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe he was wearing captain's bars, therefore that would make him a "full bird" colonel.

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd guess that he had some part in ground forces. He WAS involved in planning to rescue planet-based captives, after all. I guess those WOULD be called Marines, who's job, after all, is to do amphibious landings...

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And why pronounce it "curnel"? One of those stupid words, along with forecastle, Worchester and St. John.

Well, I thought I'd try another angle.

------------------
So, how's that Survivor-contest coming along, Newt?
-Well not very well at the MOMENT, everyone seems to have died.
-Gee, that's bad. Those Aliens bugging you yet?
-Not really, they mostly come at night mostly...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This of course, all goes back to the Marines/Starfleet thing. Do/Don't they exist? This scene is rockhard proof that they do ... or at least, did at one time ...

------------------
Jeff's Webcam
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"I just came to watch the perfect Immortal die." - Methos

"I'm not..." - MacLeod

"Not what? Not the perfect Immortal? Or not going to die?" - Methos

"Forgive Us Our Tresspasses" - Highlander: The Series

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...I pronounce my name "Saint John." Simple, really. Although one year at camp, I DID have t'go by "Sinjin"....long story...

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all you young 'uns, Colonel West was supposed to be a reference to Colonel Oliver North and all the Iran-Contra mess in the wild wild '80s. (You must remember Fawn Hall?) Oliver North was a Marine, IIRC.

I'm sure Starfleet has a Marine Corps. We were promised a Marine Corps for 500 years after Iwo Jima, but does Starfleet have an Army?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're asking that: would Starfleet have an air force as well?

I don't think there is an "army" that is called such.

I would imagine, rather, that a 24th Century Marine Corps could provide all the services that today's Marine Corps/Army does.

An example? =================

On Planet XYZ, a colony has been taken over by a dictator, who has begun a plan of genocide (we'll say its a colony of black/whites and white/blacks). The Federation Council decided to intervene, and a small strike force of Force Recon Marines (two or three hundred) arrives under cover of sensor-cloaking technologies. They quickly overthrow the dictator, taking him into custody, and destroying or routing most of the forces loyal to him.

Danger still exists. There are still vast numbers of XYZ troops willing to enforce the dictator's orders, and the Starfleet Marines are insufficient to stop them at their present numbers. Troop ships carrying the Marines' Regular forces arrives, and unloads several thousand Marines, who quickly begin the following missions:

peacekeeping
show of force
disbanding XYZ troops
establishing free elections
et all
et all

Make sense? Sort of like today, when we send in the Marines first to hit 'em hard, then send in the Army to finish up the job and do primary peacekeeping

------------------
Jeff's Webcam
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"I just came to watch the perfect Immortal die." - Methos

"I'm not..." - MacLeod

"Not what? Not the perfect Immortal? Or not going to die?" - Methos

"Forgive Us Our Tresspasses" - Highlander: The Series

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I do believe he was wearing captain's bars, therefore that would make him a "full bird" colonel.

Nope, he wears uniform and rankpin of a Vice Admiral.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Tomorrow is Yesterday", Capt. James Kirk says that UESPA (aka Star Fleet) is a combined service of navy, air force, army, and marine.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More accurately, he says "We are a combined service" in answer to Capt. Christopher's musings about whether the Enterprise is Navy or Air Force. The Marines are not mentioned in this context, nor does Kirk himself use the words Navy or Air Force.

One also has to remember that Kirk could be oversimplifying or outright lying, since he has much to hide from Christopher. Perhaps he speaks of UESPA just to make the Earthman feel at home, while in fact the ship belongs to Starfleet which is not a human-run show?

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
under cover of sensor-cloaking technologies

You naughty boy! Cloaking isn't allowed!

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps