Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Borg "cities" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Borg "cities"
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading the thread about big lifeforms, I wondered about the size of something completely different: the Borg "cities", as seen in "Unimatrix Zero" and errr... (wasn't it "Dark Frontier", or "Collective"? I can't seem to remember.)

So, how big do you think they are? My lucky guess, without taking screen comparisons, I'd say about 1000 km.

------------------
Signature.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's more in the lines of 10000 km or something like that.

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, 10 000 km would seem more logical. After all, the city built around the Guardian of Forever, Oyya, was something like 2000 km�.

------------------
Two atoms walk into a bar. One atom says to the other atom:
"I've lost an electron!"
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive!"

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, sounds OK to me. And don't forget the Dyson Sphere from "Relics"... I can't rememember if the size was mentioned, but the original theory of Freeman Dyson speaks in terms of MILLIONS of kilometers diameter. I figure out that the Borg are probably capable of building Dyson Spheres.

------------------
Signature.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to figure that the inner radius needs to be 1 A.U., if the star was Sol like.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An AU is 93exp6 miles or ~150exp6 km. I think that the Dyson Sphere was built primarily for energy gathering as I couldn't imagine the population required to justify such a surface area, plus the nightmare task of trying to maintain all the life-support stuff.

If the Dyson Sphere was designed to gather energy, then you'd have as small a radius as possible in order to reduce the amount of material needed, as the energy harvested is independent of the radius if you're covering the whole lot.

The main factor would then probably be the amount of punishment the material could take from the star, radiation, particles, etc. The radiation pressure could be a problem in the long-term. (Radiation pressure is,IIRC, due to the electric component of the radiation causing an electric field and thus a current, in metals especially. This current has an associated magnetic field which interacts with the magnetic component of the EM wave. The effect is of the radiation "pushing" the material.) Although the radiation pressure is small, if applied over a long time period it could cause tension forces that could tear apart material. However, I don't think the radius affects this, either.

------------------
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that Data had scanned for life and found everyone had dead from the radiation.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it was deserted. The star was found to be unstable when they were inside.

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that ep now. Wow it feels like forever. I ddin't know much about the Trekverse at the time, but from what I can remember, that was a huge sphere (did cover a star afterall) so the Borg "cities" would really be larger than most planets right?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dyson sphere had no connection to the Borg. Indeed, it seems contrary to their purpose. Building one is the ultimate in nesting behavior.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Oh, I'll play your game, you rogue. I'll take 'Borg Titties' for $500."

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging bu the size of the Cubes and Spheres flying about I eould have to say that the Borg City was the size of a Planet.
IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
??

Nimrod: It was, "famous", right?

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a fan of the ladies, are you, Trebek?

I have no view of how big a borg city could be. I guess, if they want more and more space, they just add structures, it could prolly take up half a planet-size of floating complexes. But it's very easy to underestimate the size of a planet.
If we could see through the ground to the other side we would be pretty impressed.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited January 15, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call me dense (and many do!), but what exactly are we talking about? The Borg complex from "Dark Frontier", the Dyson sphere, or some other structure, real or imaginary?

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps