Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » DS9 to ? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DS9 to ?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see how every starship up until Voyager had subspace-damaging coils. It sounds like post-constructed info from some novel.
I remember hearing that the Constellation-class had faulty engines which damaged subspace but I think that was non-canon too.
I could imagine starships up until 2350 maybe being subspace-unhealthy, but am I to believe that the Enterprise-D flew around in all them seven seasons with an ongoing bio-hazard???

Also DARKSTAR, you mentioned something about that alleged coil-ban then being LIFTED in late 2370?
What's that all about?? Did those supposedly faulty coils get in style again or what?

Novels, comic books and calenders are not considered authorized sources on Trek-information, so please choose your references wisely. It'll make all our lives easier.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darkstar's lack of supporting evidence aside, I see no real concern with Starfleet fixing the subspace damage problem. My theory was that the fix involved a recalibration of warp field equations with the same hardware, solving the problem without a fleet-wise replacement of huge parts.

This would also make sense if the problem were limited to the local AQ species, many of whom share the same kinds of warp technologies. That is, that most of the REST of the galaxy had fixed the problem, or designed around it already. I mean, LOTS of the other species had been using warp travel for thousands of years or longer. The galaxy would have already been a really dirty place if the pollution thing had been true.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod: Erm... Never seen "Force of Nature"...?

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In any case, the trip the Siskos took from Earth to DS9 need not have been limited by the warp 5 rule. It was something of an emergency, after all. So what if a few subspace squirrels get killed by the pollution when the future of the Federation is at stake? If Sisko did the whole trip aboard the Defiant, with a known top speed of warp 9.5 (AFTER O'Brien's tinkering), then we would still have a lower distance estimate than given by Darkstar, but much higher than if we assumed warp 5. And if the Siskos booked passage on a fast courier ship that took <13 days to gap the distance at constant warp 9.9, and the Defiant was sent ahead earlier on at her somewhat lower maximum speed, then we could buy Darkstar's estimate as is.

How long did Sisko spend on Earth again between "Jem'Hadar" and "The Search"? We have to remember to count in not just the two weeks from Earth to DS9, but the two weeks in the other direction (assuming Sisko had an equally fast ship for this trip and it was available immediately - which is quite likely, since Starfleet would have been sending in reinforcements to DS9 after the loss of the Odyssey). Did Sisko spend more than a month on his Earth trip? Either Dax or Kira stated the exact time in the beginning of "The Search".

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the either the DS9 Tech Man, the chronology or the encyclopedia might mention new warp engines and thus no speed limit. I remember reading it somewhere too (and I don't read the novels, so it must have been in one of the reference books). I think they were talking specifically about Voyager.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Defiant couldn't do more than about warp 8.

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Bajor is 50ly from Earth (as the DS9TM sort of suggests), and it took 13 days to make the trip, that's about 1404c, which is just under W8.8.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Deffie went 9.2 in "The Sound of Her Voice", and they were pretty clear that that was her maximum normal speed. O'Brian managed to get her up to 9.6, but only at the cost of draining the phaser capacitors, or something like that.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Deffie's speed at the end of the series was different than her max speed when she first came to DS9 though. Remember, they fixed a bunch of design problems that limited her speed and power. So the trip from Earth when Sisko first brought her back to the station was probably a little slower then what it would have been in, say, "Past Tense".

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also possible that the problems were fixed by slapping limiters on the engines. That is, if the ship threatened to tear itself apart at warp 9.1, the simplest solution for O'Brien was to tell Sisko not to go past warp 9.0! That would make the ship slower as time passed, not faster.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that neither O'Brien, or Sisko, or pretty much any Starfleet captains work like that anyway. If O'Brien said "The ship's tearing itself apart at warp 9.1", Sisko would want the problem solved, not avoided.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"She'll fly apart!"
"FLY her apart, then!"

Bridge officer & Captain Sulu, ST:VI

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

iwantmetoyou
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="4;URL=http://chooser.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play
.cgi/AAICQvynEQDABG5vcm1QBAAAAFIVoQIAUQEAAABDIqN0On3GDh
8MWS_ukdqO73UwPk4-/new_song.m3u">

im still confused on the numbers, ima read it again.

[This message has been edited by Charles Capps (edited January 29, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will someone ban this mo-fo spammer?

You know, buddy, I used to be a member of Mp3.com -- I burned my membership because of your link crap you're pulling.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps