Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Date of FC / Second Borg Invasion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Date of FC / Second Borg Invasion
Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to figure out the date of the second Borg invasion, my instincts tell me 2374, but I don't know if that is correct. Come to think of it, a link to a canonical timeline, if you could provide one, would be great.
Thanks.

------------------
Beverly: "I have a patient here who wishes to see you, captain.
Picard: "Welcome aboard the Enterprise-E, Mr. Worf.
Worf: "Thank you sir. The Defiant?"
Picard: "Adrift, but salvagable."
Riker: "Tough little ship."
Worf: "Little? It's 170 meters long."
Riker: "Don't be rediculous, Worf, everybody knows, after careful study of certain screencaps, that its under 120 meters long."
Worf: "I suppose now you'll tell me it is a Valiant Class vessel?"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard's log at the beginning of the movie gave a stardate of 50893.5. Unfortunately, that puts the movie several weeks or months after DS9's "In Purgatory's Shadow" which alludes to certain events in the movie.

It definitely took place in 2373. Probably somewhere between stardate 50400 and 50550. That's based on the first stardate given after "Rapture" when the FC-era uniforms appeared, and just before the Dominion invasion.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure about that? I can't recall a stardate being given for "In Purgatory's Shadow," though admittedly it's been awhile. The encyclopedia doesn't have one listed. Perhaps it was a different episode?

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IPS was DEFINATELY AIRED after First Contact...

I don't think IPS *was* given a Stardate...

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I see the problem.

The episode before "Purgatory..." was "For The Uniform," with a stardate of 50485.2

The episode after, "By Inferno's Light", takes place on 50564.2

So there is indeed some inconsistancy. But that's hardly new where stardates are concerned.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I got "Purgatory" and "Inferno" mixed up. It's all Catholic punishment philosophy anyway, so what's the difference?

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the first episode aired after FC, er, the first one with the new uniforms? I remember that Paramount wanted it to work out that way, so that the new uniforms would premiere in the movie (unlike the new badge designed for Generations, which premiered on DS9).

I can't for the life of me remember which episode it was though. There were only a couple before "In Pugatory's Shadow". "For the Uniform", and that one with the baby changling puddle thingy.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new Uni's made their series premier in "Rapture" when Sisko started having visions.

Bashir looked at Sisko and said "Does my uniform look any brighter?" I remember thinking "Is that the only reference they're going to make to the new uniforms?"

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

A few eps later, Sisko was wearing that vest that Picard had worn in the movie, too.

The scariest tidbit, though, was that the real Bashir was still wearing the old uniform in "In Purgatory's Shadow," meaning that he'd been impersonated by the Changeling for at least four episodes... and performed brain surgery on Captain Sisko! (Obviously this wasn't well-planned either.)

------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, not that old chestnut again. It's a red herring. I suggest you go look at this discussion from TNO. It's a lot easier than me C'n'P'ing the text here, especially as my arguments are in two bits. But suffice to say that a Changeling did NOT perform brain surgery on
Sisko.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the vest carry-over was cool! In "Rocks and Shoals" Sisko mentioned something about the injured Jadzia's "vest and boots" taking a little longer to dry. Maybe some of the lower ranking officers have those vests too.

*pictures Terry Farrell in one of those vests*

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they ment "vest" in the British sense of the word? We've seen that other crewmembers have undershirts, if she had one with no sleaves, it would count as a "vest".

Still, I can see it being the Bashir Changling in the Begotten. I can buy the "C-Bashir just let the baby changling die." I dount he knew that it would "cure" Odo, and since it happened pretty much instantly, he couldn't do anything about it anyway.

I'd read that there was suppossed to be a scene with the Bashir-Changling in "For the Uniform", the episode immedietly before Purgatory, but it was cut. It might explain why Bashir wasn't in FtU.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bashir uniform bit requires a bit of imagination to sort out in any case. In what sort of situation did the real Bashir get kidnapped? Didn't he explicitly say they got him while he was asleep?

We know the doc's a workaholic who sometimes sleeps in his uniform, but he doesn't do that ALL the time. Or does he? He was in uniform when the Wadi kidnapped him from his bed in "Move Along Home". Hmm... So were Dax and Sisko. And it's unlikely the Wadi gave them those uniforms, since they had only seen our heroes in dress uniforms previously (save for Bashir).

In some armies a single garment is used for multiple roles - here in Finland, a battlefield camo uniform begins its life as a garrison duty (or even leave/"dress") uniform, and ends it as oily coveralls for mechanics. Did Starfleet relegate its old uniforms into pajamas?

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand by my date analysis, but admit it's hard to explain why they gave him a uniform at all, let alone one that was now obsolete.

The best explanation I've come up with is that they prepared in advance to kidnap this Starfleet officer, and since they could hardly leave him in his pyjamas (or worse, if he slept naked - why, the poor Jem'Hadar would be warped for life), they prepared some clothes for him. And in order to know these clothes would fit, they simply used the existing replicator pattern for his uniform. Unfortunately in the meantime the directive changing uniform styles reached DS9 - whereas it didn't seem to have reached the Admiral in "The Begotten" or his staff (OR a guy in the background of "ToTP," a whole year and a half later!).

Either that, or when he woke up in his pyjamas they gave him the chance to replicate a uniform, using perhaps a pattern taken from all those Federation vessels that disappeared in the Gamma Quadrant - however, they didn't have the new pattern, since all those ships (like the Sarajevo etc.) were destroyed prior to the uniform change.

This second idea, which I just had, actually makes a lot more sense. They nabbed him, didn't take any of his clothes, and only had old-style ones to give him. Perfect. 8)

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Maybe they ment "vest" in the British sense of the word?"

Well, thank goodness they didn't say "vest and pants", then...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps