Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Easy way to get Voyager home

Author Topic: Easy way to get Voyager home
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Travel back in time about 4 billion years or so and go to Earth. It would be much faster because the universe is constantly expanding, and it woudl be much smaller then. Once in Earth's solar system, slingshot aroudn the sun again, and what do you know? Home!

(They could do the sa,e thing to beat the Dominion and the Borg.)

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering how Trek "physics" work, this is probably a valid plan.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Vortex: "It just don't pack the punch it used to..."
Swindle: "Yeah, because we're out of energy, dummy."

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if they did that, something bad and unexpected might happen

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'd probably run into those evolved dinosaur types again, as they were leaving Earth. Obviously not four billion years ago, but you can count on them getting the date wrong.

Besides, who knows what they might muck up in their dash across the galaxy? One little bit of damage to subspace near Epsilon Eridani, no Vulcan. . .

------------------
Space Corps Directive #723: Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The expansion of the universe doesn't work like that though. Galaxies pretty much hold themselves together in the expansion, and move as one unit. Stars within a galaxy are the same distance apart. Galaxies get farther away from each other as time progresses.

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

IP: Logged
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, dear. I predict a science lecture coming soon.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That brings along my old point of reference problem. Does the ship actually stay in our space the whole 4 billion years or does it disappear and then reappear at a fixed location, whatever this could be, within the universe? Star Trek science seems to comply with the first theory. However, in Fed's suggestion, both theories are mixed up (which surely wouldn't be an obstacle for Voyager writers )

------------------
I know engineers - they love to change things. (McCoy, STTMP)
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if that plan did work, Voyager couldn't do it any way. "Oh no we are back at Earth but trapped in the year 1996. The only way we can possibly get to the correct time is to go find Captain Braxton in some idiotic plot whose only good result is the Doc's holo emitter." Any other Star Trek crew can time travel at the drop of a hat but not Voyager- they are time traveling impaired. Now it has been suggested (and I will concede) that the many ways to time travel are classified and closely guarded secrets by the Federation. After all, we don't want Temporal Investigations having more work than necessary. Even so, wouldn't somebody on Voyager at least have a frigggin theory (that "will probably destroy us but just might work!"). I mean if time travel were impossible then there would be a Temporal Investigations now would there.
On a slightly different note. Wouldn't an El Aurian make the ideal Temp. Investigations agent with their handy little ability to tell when the timeline is all screwed up?

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often wondered what happenedc to the time travel methods. My guess is that they only work in certain places at certain times. The slingshot thingy around the sun can only take u back 200 years, or the orb of time only works occasionally. Maybe accoriding to star trek physics, when u travel back through time, ure entry point into space is random, and could be anywhere. But remember the largest leap in space we every saw associated with time travel was when the defiant when through time from the caredassian border to deep space station K-7. Not very far. If Voyager were to try a similar feat (traveling through space and time) they might end up anywhere, perhaps closer, or perhaps farther, from home.

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps