Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Betans/Borg-similiar/theme (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Betans/Borg-similiar/theme
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betans refer to the inhabitants of Beta 3, Star System C-111. This planet is in "Return of the Archons".

The reason that I ask the question is that there appear to be similarities in the civilizations of the two planets. And there is one major difference-the Betans didn't have space travel.

So, do you think the Borg are like the Betans? And do you think that there is a theme in how these civilizations interfaced with humans?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, no. I think drawing a parallel between Landru and the Borg is like building a suspension bridge out of saltwater taffy.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, taffy...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saltwater taffy, no less. DEEEEEEEEEE-LISH!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean to drown out your thread in a flood of sugary confections, targetemployee.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, confection...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF is saltwater taffy? Sounds like some grizzled old Cajun singer. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee: Must be a US thing, 'cause I've never heard of it, either.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never understood what the US word 'taffy' was... it sounded like TOFFEE... as in toffee apples.

There was that Lisa Loeb song "Pulling Taffy" that just seemed to make the word more confusing.

I'm gathering if you can 'pull taffy' - and that it's a sweet confectionery... that it must be something like either, fairy-floss, 'toffee', or even like the 'candy' that is the hard sweet lollies that are those 'old fashioned' hard-boiled lollies... usually multi-coloured.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Taffy is a soft, chewy sort of candy. I'm not exactly well versed in taffy lore, but the saltwater bit comes from the fact that there is salt in it, and it is most often associated with piers and other beachfront sorts of places.

Here is a recipe.

To prepare taffy, you have to stretch, or pull it. A lot.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaving the taffy-related subjects and actually trying to answer TE's question (which I'm sure he's more than happy about):

I always envisioned the original Borg race as being isolated from the rest of the galaxy as well. Instead of making contact with other species (or even being aware of their existence), they ended up becoming slaves to their own technology to the point where they couldn't exist without it. Very similar to the Cybermen of Doctor Who, the technology became a part of them, and as other forms of flora & fauna life died out on their world, they "adapted" to life without it. But since you can only go on like this for so long on your own planet, they realized the need for expansion into space. And coincidentally, instead of having to rely on their own technology, they now had to survive by assimilating someone else's.

That's my theory.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a half-bad one, either.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Apparently, the word "toffee" is derived from the word "taffy". I think the difference is that taffy is soft and toffee is hard. That's what I gather from the dictionary definition, anyway. I know what taffy is, but I'm not sure about toffee.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*smacks Tim hard*
Americentric Bastard!

Taffy is an American bastardization of Toffee. It refers specifically to the softer, stickier, saltwaterier species of the genus Toffeeae.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What book did you get this out of Tom?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps