Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » profiles

Author Topic: profiles
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Is this a glitch with the boards, or my computer, every time i look at a member info, it crashes Communicator - sometimes everything!

I have no problems usually with having two windows open at the same time...

anyone?

Andrew

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
irrevocably." Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - The Drumhead

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What browser are you using?
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Er..he said communicator. I'm afraid it's your computer Andrew, our communicator works fine. I see you're from Australia for example, without having my computer crashing.. :]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grrr, I wonder what is causing it...

oh well, it IS time for a new computer - I actually would be interested in what the best configuration for a new computer is...

400MHz Celeron processor? I heard that Intel III is up to 400-500 - but the boards for it are just coming off the assembly line!?! - and there's that security thing...

I'm thinking of a 17" monitor - should i go bigger?

how much Hard Drive space? a friend has 16 Gig - but I think that maybe a little absurd - I have about 2 gig at the moment

56K modem? is it worth upgrading at the moment from a 33.6K modem - are the phone lines up to it yet?

what else is there?

CD rom speed ?? I've got 10x but I've seen 32x - is there ANY real difference when you get up that fast?

also, I've been thinking of a CD burner - to store stuff on... whats a good brand/type

also thinking of video cap card - with both the imput AND output sockets - so i can stick stuff back on video...

oh also DVD? - seeing as my computer is about 3 years old, what is the sorta area of DVD that I should be looking into?

anything else...

what have you guys got, that you are happy with, and that will last )

at the moment, I haven't thought of price - cause it is in the very early stages...

Andrew

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a Mac and rid yourself of most computer problems forever.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Blitzwing: "If I want to know what's on your mind, I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!"

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a new Toshiba 2515laptop.
266MHz, 32meg ram 4.3 gig harddrive, 56k PC card modem. it only screws up when I do.

------------------
Here I Come To Save The Day : Mighty Mouse

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew - As long as you stay away from Harvey Norman you'll be fine *L*.

You'd be surprised how fast 16 gb will go *L*. (Says he who has only 2.5).

Frank - Don't make me come over there *L*.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

[This message was edited by Daryus Aden on March 21, 1999.]

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I just upgraded to a PII-350 with 128ram and a Rage Fury. Total space across three hard drives is 8.75G.

I'm using communicator 4.51 and it(profiles) works...is also worked with 4.5 last I checked.

I've always been partial to PII's versus Celerons or K-whatevers...and the motherboard I have is compatible with the newer Pentium III's as should most new motherboards. 17 inch monitors are fine, its not really worth upgrading from a 33.6, CD-ROM speeds in practicallity level off at 20X, DVD drives are overkill unless you actually need to watch movies since software is hard to find.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK, a few things... It must be my communicator - I just tried Explorer 3 and it (the profiles work fine)

Shadow, maybe its just me not using them as much, but i've been using macs at uni, and boy are THEY frustrating...

ok

Excalibur, 32 meg ram, i've seen 64 - to push it a little ahead, would 64 be better? and/or does 128 exist?

Daryus! heh heh yeah, they seem a bit dodgey, but for optional extras, mice, printers etc... they have been ok

Mucus, what is rage fury?
I think i want to go for the bigger monitors, since i like doing the artwork - so that is stearing me away from a laptop...
about the motherboards, and their PIII compatbility, that was a little info, from a comp dealer i was talking to, so was he just spinning shite?

Thanks guys

Andrew

PS anymore info would be great!

Andrew

------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get anything less than 128 megs of RAM, I insist. You'll need it. 32 will barely run win98, and 64 barely cuts it with a few open apps. Hard disk sizes under 8 gigs are not reccomended. Get no processor slower than 350 MHz.

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh. I rememeber when 128MB was a good size for a hard drive. And 4MB was standard for memory. If you had 8MB you were rich. If you had 128MB your company was paying for it.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Blitzwing: "If I want to know what's on your mind, I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Thanks for the tips CC

Frank, i remember too, cause we had 8mb and most of my friends had 4 )

how many years ago - 4or5!?!

I remember playing zork on the schools, apple IIe 10 years ago this year...

alien involvment?

Andrew

------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Rage Fury is a 32MB AGP video card, its pretty cheap in price for the speed you are getting...

I agree with Capps about the 128 MB Ram, RAM is cheap now anyways, and yes with the other stuff.

What I've heard is that there really are no Pentium3 specific motherboards, most new motherboards should easily handle a P3, and I'm positive my Asus board can. However, P3s are really expensive right now...

Make sure you get a good monitor though, a larger monitor is good for art. Pay attention to the dot pitch, refresh rates, and such. Finally you may want to visually compare shadow mask and trinitron monitors to see which you prefer. (I'm assuming you don't need a super expensive LCD monitor or something )

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is supposed to be expandable to 160 megs of ram. I'll get there before to long. 32 is working ok for now.

------------------
Dramatis Personae

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Remembers he was tinkering with 286's not that long ago!*.

It's odd, my highschool was running on p200 mmx & I believe now has p2 350's.

Speaking for myself however I'm running a cyrix 120 (p150+ for what is's worth), got the ram beefed up to 64 about a year ago, a 4mb creative card and a 2.5 gig hard disk. When I got it I was practically bowing to the machine *L* however nowadays it seems like I'm running a turtle. It works fine with standard programs like IE, win 98, I can open lots of windows and there's no lag problem. HOWEVER, the minute I open Adobe or max, the system dies due to the fact that I lack the power to have more than max open at any one time. Max runs pitifully slowly *L*.

I'd go with a p2 450..if I was to get a PC anytime soon. They're at a good price at the moment. 8.4 gig hard disks are pretty much standard now....and 128 I'd take to 192. But then, I can't even afford more ram at the moment *L*.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.