Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Klingonese Ques. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Klingonese Ques.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have the lyrics to that battle song they always sing?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it appeared in the closed captioning of the DS9 ep where Worf and Kor sang it while drinking:

ej im-ta fey de-ja i
ejadahk-so-tas ghos va skral byteek
empa jaj law-moch jaj-push
jaj kahless molor-migh hokh chew-koo

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always ask Mark Okrund. He wrote the damn language, didn't he ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this doesn't seem to match w/ the language the way Okrand created it. For example, there should be no letter 'k'. I'm guessing this is how it was in the script, and that that was written out phonetically for the actors. Some things to match up a little, so the writer may actually have based it on Okrand's Klingonese. It'll just take some work to figure it out.

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That doesn't sound like the right song... I'm surprised no one here speaks Klingon.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, that's the song Worf and Kor sang on DS9, and the HoloDoc sang on VOY. It's the only one I know of that's appeared more than once...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That doesn't sound like the right song... I'm surprised no one here speaks Klingon."

I'm surprised anyone can speak Klingon without realising that their life is a lie.

We're the cool forum, remember.

"K"'s have been used for phonetic translations of Klingon before. Qu'on'os being translated as "Kronos", for example.

Anyway, what's "Klingon" in Klingon?

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something like Thlingan, IIRC.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not be fooled, the first consonant is a lateral fricative!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't they all?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel very sorry for people who actually learned how to speak Thlingon.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't. Multilingualism enriches your life and improves your communications skills. I had to learn an even less useful language at school, namely Swedish...

Back to the topic: I think the battle song from DS9 "Soldiers of the Empire" is nicely written down in Keith DeCandido's book "Diplomatic Implausibility". At least, there's one battle song there. Wasn't this one first used in TNG "Birthright"? I don't have the book at hand now, but unless you get it from some other source, I might type the lyrics for you at the end of the week.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, and let�s see, finnish is useful how? When drinking vodka and having knifefights in the sauna?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always like to remember that I have a friend named Joey Chu whose name means "initiate transport" or something like that. Jo-ii chu I believe it was spelt. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what DeCandido wrote in his book. This is supposedly in original Klingon, with the native letters replaced by their accepted Latin counterparts, and not just a phonetic rendition. Be warned that about half the l-like letters there are in fact capital i's, although this stupid font doesn't differentiate:

Qoy qeylIs puqloD. Qoy puqbe'pu'.
yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'.
Say'moHchu' may''Iw. maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'.

nI'be'yInmaj 'ach wovqu'.
batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.
pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'.
mamevQo'. maSuvtaH. ma'ov.

And here's the translation:

Hear! Sons of Kahless. Hear! Daughters, too.
The blood of battle washes clean
the warrior brave and true.
We fight, we love, and then we kill.
Our lives burn short and bright.
Then we die with honor and join our fathers
in the Black Fleet where we battle forever,
battling on through the eternal fight.

Interesting to hear that the Black Fleet, a John M. Ford concept, is actually a canonical fact now... In any case, this is not the drinking song of Worf and Kor - that song seems to tell about Kahless and Molor instead of going to battle, and I haven't seen it written down anywhere. This does, however, seem to be the song from "Birthright" and "Soldiers of the Empire".

Timo Saloniemi

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Timo ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps