Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Disturbing

Author Topic: Disturbing
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres a disturbing excerpt from the 'Lost Books' section of The complete Star Trek Library

quote:
Killing Time (1985)

In 1985, Pocket Books published Della Van Hise's novel Killing Time, then withdrew it from publication. The wrong draft of the novel had been printed. Pocket had the correct version in the stores pretty quickly, but didn't publicize the change. Van Hise was apparently active in the "slash" fan fiction scene (i.e., fiction about Kirk and Spock as lovers), and she worked a slash subtext into this novel, more overtly in the accidentally printed early draft. The editor at the time had Van Hise rewrite the book to get rid of that subtext. The revised version was used for later printings. There are at least fifty changes from the first version to the revised version, some as short as a single word, others as long as a paragraph or two. Most of the excisions involve scenes in which there is physical contact between Kirk and Spock (for example, describing the warmth of Spock's hand on Kirk's face during a mindmeld). But there was also a sentence that described Spock's realization that Kirk was the person Spock was meant to spend his life with. Copies of the original can still be found in used bookstores and at conventions, so this book isn't completely lost yet. If the cover has raised letters for the title, it may be the original; if not, it isn't. Or check page 41 for a passage that begins, "I understand that you were probably playing with dolls and wearing lipstick until you were twenty!" That appears only in the original.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shudders*

Eeeww!

"Are those your pointy ears or are you just happy to see me?"

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come ON! AIRbody knows that Kirk is Spock's bitch! Worse than that, Kirk is Spock's BIOTCH.

AIRBODY, yo.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The slash fiction scene was growing so large, that to discredit it Gene Roddenberry spent several passages of the novelization of 'The Motion Picture' discussing it. Even though
Spock considers Kirk his t'hy'la which means brother/friend/lover, its a platonic brotherhood. When approached with rumors of the 'lover' aspect of that word, Admiral Kirk noted that, while he had never asked Spocks feelings on it, he 'found the most gratification in the creature known as woman'

Thank you, Admiral.
Thank you, Gene.

Almost as bad as when i was looking for pictures of shuttles and i found a very large website devoted to illustrating (in text and drawings) the 'relationship' between 'best buds' Harry Kim and Tom Paris.

I was so naive...

(Even though, from a strictly canon sense, Harry denied having any homosexual desires in 'Pathways.' But its more disturbing than your simple matter of canon..)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spock and Kirk as lovers...Kim and Paris trapped in a shuttle...oh God no wonder some people have been screaming for someone to come out...
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Throws up*
What maniac would start something like that? (the website Captain Mike mentioned)
*Shudders*
My God...

--------------------
Meh

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call Kim gay... first he had his cute girlfriend Libby then that other attractive alien girl from "The Disease".

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

capped
Member # 709

(mature)Well, even in today's society, just because one has been in a relationship and been attracted to someone of the opposite sex, doesnt mean it would be ruled out that they could also later be attracted to someone of the same sex also.(/mature)

Except for Harry, who denied it in Jeri Taylor's book when his roommate wanted to do the silly butt-dance with him

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, even in today's society, just because one has been in a relationship and been attracted to someone of the opposite sex, doesnt mean it would be ruled out that they could also later be attracted to someone of the same sex also.

Yes. We have a word for people like that. We call them, oddly enough, "bi-sexuals." I wonder why.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps