Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What Would DS9 Say? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What Would DS9 Say?
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 was the most intellectual, edgy, and well written of Trek shows.

My question is, what would DS9 say about the bombing? What kind of story do you think the writers would do and how would they handle it?

An episode, a story arc? Cardassians, Maquis, Dominion, something new? What kind of symbolism, character development, action, dialogue, etc?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They tried during the Breen bombardment of Earth in "The Changing Face of Evil". Quite a good job at the time, but it doesn't even come close to the WTC crashes.

One thing that I will note however is Weyoun's quote saying that "the casualty rate is being revised upwards once again." Much like our current situation.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, currently, would will such shows based in NY such as "Third Watch" and "NYPD Blue" say, or how shows like "X-Files," "West Wing," or maybe "Enterprise" will incorporate this event into their storylines.

But onto DS9, I think they would have a bombing on Bajor or Deep Space Nine or maybe Earth that kills innocent people and children. Sisko and crew would try to figure out why someone would do this, and then realize evil is a part of life.

--------------------
Meh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sure, 'cuz Kira certainly isn't used to bombs killing innocents, she was never a Bajoran terrorist. O'Brien never witnessed the massacre at Setlik III, and Sisko didn't lose his wife to the Borg.

::rolls eyes::

Pretty much goes without saying that the DS9 crew already knows there is evil afoot.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that, even though i illustrate webpages and write a lot of stories and comic books for myself, im nowhere near being a professional producer or writer like the guys who create the shows we watch and read about, but i think if i worked on the following shows i would just feel sick to my stomach, and probably resign.
West Wing
NYPD Blue
Third Watch
Law & Order (possibly)

I would have no way to even know how to address it, and certainly would not want to create any storytelling regarding the situation, and theres no way i would continue without addressing it. It causes me too much pain, and thats just as someone who is not involved except that i, like everyone else in my country, is American.
but thats just me

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things reguarding Mike's post.

1. If you resigned from your job in light of what has happened - any job really. Or you Change YOUR way of living - then the Terrorists have WON. Simple as that. They have set out to destroy every peace-loving free, happy, loving human being's way of live on this planet.

2. Don't think that just because you are American, that it might hurt you more than anyone else. Granted it happened in America, and it involved Americans. Infact it involved like civilians from 30 countries. I believe there are like 50 people from Australia missing in the WTC, the planes, and the Pentagons - and that is just Australia - a long way down on those list of countries DIRECTLY effected by the losses of life. BUT it is not 'the American way of life' that has changed it has, as I said above EVERY, peaceful, democratic country and the good people that live in them. Infact it has changed even the NON democratic countries. I saw the bit about a Chinese family in a story related to Colin Powel by the Chinese foreign minister, that they had been on one of the planes ready to visit their children that lived in the United States. This is Extremist hate-terrorist groups and the people that support them against everyone else.

Back to the DS9 issue. DS9 is playing season 2 on 'cable' the ad for this weeks episode was for The Maquis part 1. It opens with the explosion of a Cardassian ship and the prospect of terrorism!

DS9 was STAR TREK - don't let anyone forget that underneath it's dark overtones. It was a vehicle for relating stories that effect us today, to us.

Speaking of that Cardassian ship... it looked to be a 'cardassian yellow' Merchantman! it even had the brown Cardie symbols on the 'wings'. Merchantman is quite a Carassian-esque ship.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually do hope that "Broken Bow" will have some sort of opening screen with a Thought-Provoking Remark (TM) about the terrorist attacks.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might wait till the 5 episode, which from memory is the one about andorian terrorists. Unless they decide to refilm that ep.
Kosa
Member # 650

- posted      Profile for Kosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope they don’t rewrite that episode. If they do it will join the ever-growing line of shows and movies that have been rewritten or completely cut because of the mere mention of something to do with terrorism. There was a story over here about what has been happening in Hollywood after the attacks, and granted allot of it is warranted, but I hope they don’t hack an episode of Enterprise to death or cut it because of it.

--------------------
More human than human -Blade Runner

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know it isnt probably the best place to post this, but i agree with AndrewR 's sentiments on the topic.

Buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 is the best writen show, too bad they didn't get there shit together till the last two years of the series.

A show that got thier shit together early..... Stargate SG-1. 1st season shit, 2nd season good scripts

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to admit this - being the super-DS9 fan that I am - but... well I think Season 7 was probably the WORST of the seasons. The Finale wasn't anything to be proud of either. The only saving grace was Worf's "Minsk" line, the separation of Kira and Odo and the final scene with Kira and Jake at the window.

Season seven was only good in probably "Seige of AR-458", "Once More Unto the Breach", "Paper Moon" and "Badda Bing; Badda Bang"
best seasons
5 & 6
3 & 4
1 & 2
not the best seasons.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, i think that DS9 was at its best at the beginning of the war.. seeing it through to the end wasnt as exciting as that beginning, but i still found it extremely entertaining. And DS9s worst shows are still better than a certain other series' best shows...

in regards to my comment about not wanting to deal with terrorism or current events, its not that i dont think that such things should not be addressed and i certainly dont think we should shy away from the issues, im just saying that i enjoy entertainment for escapism, and my creative impulses are for the same reason. I'm more in the mood to watch 'Trials & Tribbleations' or 'City on the Edge of Forever' than i am to watch 'The High Ground' or 'The Changing Face of Evil' right now.. its personal. Thats also why im not illustrating my 3D models blowing up, im concentrating more on the paint jobs

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In some way or another, all our lives changed after Sept. 11, 2001. I know that I don't feel like going to clubs anymore or going out to public places. I'm considering not to go to Aidswalk Los Angeles on Oct. 21 and the local Valley Pride festivities this weekend.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to admit... my life and outlook hasn't changed all that much.

Oh, I've added a few names to the "Must Have Messily Killed When I Become Dictator" list, but that's about it.

I was never a flying candidate, I rarely go to large public gatherings, I'm too old for military service, and I didn't know anybody who knew anybody who died.

I'm angry about it, and I intend to stay angry about it until those responsible are slain, but all told, that's it.

I don't know what this says about me or my coping abilities.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.