Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Cursors on the go (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cursors on the go
Phycro Onyx
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the other day i was watching the voyager episode "Good Shepherd" and at the part where the guy takes out the escape pod and is communicating with the captian on a comm channel and you can actually see a muose cursor on the forword interface check it out it looks really wierd but ifve not only seen one in that episode but many others that i cannot remember is this true?
IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Periods, dude. Use 'em.

And AFAIK, "Good Shepherd" is the only episode I know of that has seen a mouse pointer. I had a good laugh at that one, too.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's another scene on the bio bed of the Flyer in that episode that has a snafu in it... it shows a Windows Desktop or something.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im trying to remember where.. somebody caught a blue screen of death on a background monitor once.

Damn this swiss cheese memory.. whats Ziggy have to say? What.. Archer? not Beckett? ah forget i said anything...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure I read in the Star Trek: The Next Generation Compendium, some computer scree gaffs here and there, throughout the run of the series.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually most of the computer screens on TNG were either static backlit displays or composited in post production if they moved.. the DS9 sets were the first to use real-time video monitors (because before that the screens would roll because of the timing of their scan lines or some gobbledygook like that that made it impossible to film a monitor). The only time they used the filmable monitors in TNG would have been in the shuttle or new sets in the last few years

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wondered how they over came that problem with the monitors they used on DS9 and Voyager. Is it some kind of new uber-monitor or something that has super fast whatchamacallit lines that can be filmed?
capped
Member # 709

thats exactly what it was.

i think they only got a handful of them for the beginning of ds9, and moved them from set to set as needed but as the price came down they stuck them everywhere (see: voyager) im assuming...

what used to be a weeks work (animating an LCARS and adding it in post-production, could suddenly be done on set)

A little amazing considering the control panels on the E-D bridge in 1987 were mad with plexiglass and a black transfer and the button shapes were cut by hand with an x-acto knife

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time the Enterprise-D had the same monitors as DS9 was only during Generations. And then the ship blew up...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure I read that SOME monitors were used... and that they were Macs.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Not on TNG. It was all backlit displays. One of the set upgrades they did for Generations was to replace all the bridge screens with working monitors.

It's weird. When you watch DS9, you can really tell the difference. It's just a more...I don't know...solid shot when it's a real monitor.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
Member # 709

Actually TNG did use the monitors, just not on the bridge until Generations.. they first started toying with them in the shuttle set, with the little tracking whooziwhatzis between the two seats

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Hmmmm.....*makes mental note to watch shuttlecraft episodes*

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now we have Enterprise, with is just riddled with fancy displays. I imagine they might be borrowed for the next film, too.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I better not see plasma screens on the Enterprise-E... or the Enterprise NX-01 on the silver screen!!!!!

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.