Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » I just rented ST: Insurrection. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I just rented ST: Insurrection.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Good call, dude.

Thank you. I try.

IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ormantic aspect of the film bothered me too.. i just didnt feel any chemistry between Picard and Anij. I hate it when the relationships in a movie require more suspension of disbelief the the treknology.

Relationships i have found convincing:
Picard/Beverly
Picard/Neela Daren
Worf/Jadzia
Riker/Troi
Kirk/Edith Keeler

Relationships that seemed to be quite bullshit:
Picard/Anij
Worf/Troi
Riker/Soren the J'naii
Sisko/Kasidy (at first..)
Chakotay/Seven

Just because the script says 'They fall in love' doesnt mean it works onscreen.. especially if it is so poorly thought out as many of Trek's pairings. Ive tried to understand, especially if it adds something to the outlook of the character and furthers the storyline or the ongoing plot that is the characters life, but if its done for formula's sake to a throwaway guest star of the week it really gets tiresome.

So i guess that took away from the movie for me also.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think that the pairing of Picard and Anij was believable. My problem with it was that the original romantic elements got toned down a bit. It was this replacing some of the romantic with the action elements that caused the harm to the chemistry trying to be built between Picard and Anij. If they had spent a bit more time and a bit more focus on that angle of the movie, I think it done a lot to help. There was a good amount of intimacy with the interplay between the two, it's a shame that it got wasted.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear to god that the curse of the odd Trek films is true, and ST:9 proves it (ST:3 TSFS doesn't count).

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why doesn't ST:3 count? That movie was lame. ST: 5, as we all know, was worse.
IP: Logged
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Trek X is the last one to feature the TNG crew then when Archer and his crew hit Star Trek XI...
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt Enterprise will be the subject of the 11th Trek movie. The series won't be over yet (assuming it runs 7 seasons). My guess would be that 11 will feature a combo crew from DS9, Voyager and TNG.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Kosa
Member # 650

- posted      Profile for Kosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Insurrection was a quite all right Star Trek movie. I guess it is seen by most fans as being crap because it does actually hold up the odd numbered curse, in light of the excellent First Contact. IMO opinion, that is.

--------------------
More human than human -Blade Runner

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, first off, if a movie is Star Trek, i automatically like it and will buy it. Star Trek 9 is probably one of my 30 favorite movies, simply because it is Star Trek. I just find it to be disappointing, for the reasons i and everyone else outlined earlier. But i still would rather have watched it than going to see the latest action flick. Unfortunately it was too much like the latest action flick... but i digress.

'The Curse of the Odd-Numbered Movies'.. I have to say, its more of a percieved thing.. I will wwatch the Motion Picture on a regular basis, because it is such a big trippy movie. Star Trek V is still fun for me,i bought it a few months ago. And I've never understood criticisms of ST III.. aside from some budget problems (stuff generally looked 'cheap') it was a damn fine movie. And Generations was a helluva lotta fun for me too. Im just saying that 2, 6, & 8 carry a lot more resonance for me.
And my least favorite (besides 9)...: Star Trek IV.. i like to buck trends

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with Star Trek IV? It was a fun movie...when do you ever hear a Starfleet captain curse...wait that maybe happening on Enterprise...

I'd watch Insurrection again, but I'd just focus on the action scenes, the ships, and the interiors of the Enterprise...when the special DVD version comes out. Is it me, or is it that there were a lot of stuff cut out of each Trek movie that we never really find out until years later?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

What's wrong with Star Trek IV? It was a fun movie...when do you ever hear a Starfleet captain curse...wait that maybe happening on Enterprise...

I'd watch Insurrection again, but I'd just focus on the action scenes, the ships, and the interiors of the Enterprise...when the special DVD version comes out. Is it me, or is it that there were a lot of stuff cut out of each Trek movie that we never really find out until years later?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO Insurrection is the worst Star Trek movie since The Final Frontier. After First Contact I expected so much, but when I first saw Insurrection in the cinemas I was horribly dissapointed. Maybe I expected too much. Unfortunately, every subsequent viewing gives me the same feeling of dismay. Recently I even watched it again on DVD - I couldn't help but think "this SUX" and I turned it off half way through. At least I can be hopeful that the next movie (an even number) is destined for greatness.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'd put Insurrection in the same catagory as ST V. Plot with holes big enough to fly the Enterprise through, and a general feeling of "I waited three years for this?", but overall, still fun, and hardly the worst way to spend a couple of hours.

I also really like ST III. The Enterprise's destruction was beautiful, and thre was some nice stuff for the cast (Kirk especially rarely shines more than he does in ST II and III, except maybe parts of VI).

You want to a substitute for slow brain death though? All of Star Trek: TMP (especially after they actally get on board the Enterprise. I'd rather be beaten with a pillow than watch that again).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps