Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Let's talk about Engineering (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Let's talk about Engineering
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, a fundamental law of engineering is simple is always better. Thus, a simple and elegant main engineering would be the supremest manifestation of engineering itself.

If that makes any sense.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael_T:
Maybe we should start posting pics of the sets especially the TNG seasons sets to compare.

Enterprise 1
Enterprise 2
Enterprise-D
Enterprise-E
Defiant
Voyager

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the pic of the E-D room, the panel that used to be the corridor is right above the pool table, with the engineer at it. you can see where the carpet still leads into the wall. The door that we can see the other side of (to the right of the pool table) was revealed to be a J-Tube junction, but it had a full junction there and one of the tubes would have crossed the bottom corridor (furthest down in this pic)

I'd Photo up the pic to show it but my site wouldnt let me link the image and i dont feel like setting up a new page ofr it yet.. if we had an upload site..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies, all of you!

I don't have much time to respond since I'm in a bit of a time crunch, but I did notice some confusion about my comments on the Enterprise-D's engine room set. I found a couple of pictures over at Bernd's site that show exactly what I was talking about.

This first picture shows the engine room set in its original configuration for "Encounter at Farpoint" and I think a couple other season one episodes. Here's the link.

As you can tell, the CEO's office, duty engineer's station, and the warp core chamber are a "new" set that simply connected to the radial corridor set (along with the pool table and MSD).

The second picture shows an early attempt to enclose the engine room set. Here, they used a set of doors in place of where the wall panels would eventually go. Here's the link.

I remember seeing these doors in only one of the early episodes, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. Bernd lists the source for this picture as coming from "The Art of Star Trek."

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think the pictures are from the same set on the same day... The carpet is the same, and since they generally replace it every year (especially in the high-traffic sets like Engineering) it's usually a good indicator of when the sets were.

Anyway, "11001001" was on yesterday and I believe the standard wall plugs were there. The first real good look at the Engineering set would probably be "The Naked Now", but I think they still had the corridors there. I believe the pictures were taken for the one with the Traveller.

[Edit - I take that back. The pool table is complete in those pictures... In the Traveller epsiode it's still all white on top.]

Mark

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought about it before but it is very strange to have carpeting in the engine room with all on the electronics around. With electrostatic discharge proceedures carpet is a nono. Nothing ruins electronics like static.
Paul

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
question if they use anything electronic as we know it..

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure that pics from season 1? The MSD is blue, and it was originally yellow, only changing to blue (and getting more detailed) half way through the series (at the start of season 4 I believe, but the only tape I've got handy is the BOBW tape, and you don't get a good shot of the MSD in part 1. In part 2, it's blue though).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what, Liam? I really don't know now that I'm sitting here looking at these pictures more closely. What's bugging me about them is the control surface of the master systems display. In all of season one, didn't it have a lot of white on it? I don't think it got completely laid out in black until the second season (when Geordi's station was actually built).

So, you know, I doubt that those pictures are from the first season now. That first picture I linked to still demostrates that there was a corridor crossing through Main Engineering in the first season (even if this picture was taken at a later point in the series). As for the second picture, I have a vivid memory of actually seeing those doors instead of wall panels in an episode. However, I wonder if I'm imagining it now.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
Member # 709

I think that engineering probably got refurbished every time it was shown in season one.. in '11001001' the pool table was set up with handprint identifiers, and didnt the clock replace the MSD? I know the pool table looked damned peculiar in 'Where No One Has Gone Before' compared to later, but pretty much looked like it would continue to by 11001001. 'Last Outpost' also had an odd engineering setup, for the very brief walkthrough featuring Geordi's weakest lines ever

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Can you tell why I'm not a big fan of the Enterprise-D's engine room set now?

All kidding aside, I think parts of that set are nice, but the rest of it needed some fine-tuning. I realize that there were budgets considerations and that the studio may not have wanted to splurge so much in the series failed, but Main Engineering on that ship has always bugged me. Every other engine room set we've seen on a lead ship (the original, the new, Voyager, Defiant, Enterprise-E, and refit Enterprise) has had something special and real about them. This one is just sort of... ugh. Yeah, my opinion carries over to it being the Enterprise-A's engine room, too.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'all may be right. Anyone care to whip out "Generations" and see if this is that edition of Engineering?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is, it's lit far more brightly that it was in the film. Although this could be a mid-way point, after the series had finished (so they had removed the doors), but before shooting had started (so they hadn't taken out all the bulbs from the lights yet).

Would they have needed to remove the panels, and use it as a corridor set at any point after say season 3 (as I don't recall seeing the sofa and potted plant against the wall arrangement in later episodes).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

The engine room set in Generations was lit very poorly. The two floor-to-ceiling lights flanking the master situation display were only half-lit. Of course, they might have turned on the lights just to take these pictures.

As far as Generations goes, I know that at least the portside wall panel unit had been removed to reveal that corridor in the movie. Riker was in Engineering at one point talking to someone, and then he left through that newly-opened up corridor. I can't which point in the movie this was or who he was talking to, though. I don't think we ever got a clear-enough shot to see if the starboardside wall panel had been removed as well.

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riker had been talking to Worf about what the Romulans had been scanning for on the space observatory. Does that help anyone?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps