Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Guess who probably WONT be in ST:X (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guess who probably WONT be in ST:X
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theyve switched conn and ops before.. for Encounter at Farpoint and The Naked Now it was the opposite of what it would be for the rest of the series. And it doesnt seem to have to be a fleetwide thing.. some ships dont even have the stations next to each other anymore (Defiant, Intrepids)

And its not a job limited to uniform color if you are not the primary officer assigned to that.. Data wore yellow which is specified to be operations division color, but at other times other personnel have filled it (most notably Sam LaVelle, who was promoted to the third shift ops position but wore his red uniform because he was on a command career track).

There are a lot of variables here to deal with. We have to look at who was getting the flight control orders in insurrection. Geordi was formerly a flight control officer, so ghe could have been filling his old job, but then again he could have just been most qualified ops officer in Data's absence. Or Perim could be ops and just on a command career track so she didnt wear yellow.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing w/ "Lower Decks" is that those ensigns were gunning for promotion. So, basically, they were switching off to different stations, so Riker could see how well they handled them, and see where they ought ot be assigned. A normal ops officer wouldn't wear red. It was just a special occasion.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. At the end of the ep you see Lavelle get his new pip, but I assumed that if you ever say him again, he'd be in Ops gold.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this gets back into the color argument. Like why Shelby was in Tactical but wore red, or why Spock switched from command gold to science blue or a dozen other cases of color differences. Enough that there could be a case made for the fact that even though an officer serves in a position, there could be a different color worn depending on the career track in question. It all depends on the individual officer.

If you arent sure of that one, then it probably is just that they switched conn and ops (not the end of the world.. they pulled that one in TNG like i said and no one said anything.. conn and ops arent fixed in stone)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
then it probably is just that they switched conn and ops
(not the end of the world.. they pulled that one in TNG like i said and no one said
anything.. conn and ops arent fixed in stone)

I really don't like the idea of this at all. The swap in The first two TNG episode were just teething problems. The producers are the first people to say in as many words "we have to dumb the movies down for the non-fans and the casual viewers". Well, if they go swapping Ops and Conn - then they are REALLY fucking screwing with those types of people. And, is it just me - was the Scenes on the Enterprise in Insurrection just terribly... mundane, and washed out of colour. The scene on the bridge - during the fight - were so... NARROW - i.e. we never got the scope of the bridge - plus it seemed so lifeless and pale - too brightly lit or something - not like the wonderful lighting that was used in First Contact - the bridge/Ready Room/Obs Lounge, corridors (before borgafied) etc in FC were supburb very rich, deep and lush. The ship scenes in Insurrection were just pallid. They were HORRIBLE. Even the effects sucked - the Enterprise looked horrible - it looked very... murky. UGH.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could the "casual viewers" be confused by a switching of conn and ops? I wouldn't think they would even pay much attention. They would just know that the helm station is where the person is getting orders to steer the ship, and the ops station is where Data's sitting.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having Geordi at one of those positions - was well confusing to even us... stupid.

People who have watched Trek would know - red on our left, gold on our right.

Anyway the didn't swap the controls - cause Riker at one stage is flying the ship (not with his *ahem* joystick) from the Conn (on our left still).

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Having Geordi at one of those positions - was well confusing to even us... stupid."

No, it was confusing to us because we know Geordi doesn't normally sit there. Most people would not have noticed.

"People who have watched Trek would know - red on our left, gold on our right."

I really doubt that the average fan has made a huge effort to remember the colour-coding of every seat on the bridge. And in any case, it's not like the department colour on the FC uniforms jumps out at you anyway.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I realise that that looked like I called TSN stupid - I didn't mean that - I was calling the ST:IX people's decision "stupid"! Hope that didn't confuse anyone!

Andrew

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps