Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Regarding the "Nemesis" nemesis... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Regarding the "Nemesis" nemesis...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, anyone who doesn't want spoilers about ST10, but was stupid enough to open this thread anyway, you might want to reconsider now.

This says Shinzon is supposed to have "golden" hair. Why? If he's a clone of Picard, altered to be Romulan, he should have dark hair. Darker than "golden", anyway. Young Picard had brown hair, and Romulans almost exclusively have black hair. I mean, I'm sure it could be explained as some sort of anomaly resulting from all the genetic whatsis, but it still seems odd. Personally, if I were in charge, I would have considered having Shinzon be played by one of the actors who has played Picard's younger self in the past: either the kid from "Rascals" (if he's old enough now) or the guy from "Tapestry".

Then again, maybe I'm just overrating continuity. :-)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say what? Shinzon is a clone of Picard? Where'd this come from?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that the plot of the entire movie? Or was that rumor disproven?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhhh ... although I've heard the "there's a clone of Picard" rumors, why do you assume it to be this "Shinzon"?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Major Spoilers Below

$$$

Just to be on the safeside of things.

Actually, everything I've read on the Star Trek X spoilers says that TSN is correct. Shinzon is out for blood and to conquer the Federation because he's Picard's reject clone. The Romulans somehow got Picard's DNA and cloned him. But something happened where they couldn't insert the clone into Picard's place. The clone later ends up being named Shinzon and has to grow up on the Romulan slave labor world of Remus. He supposedly also has an enzyme disorder and needs Picard to help him live. That's essentally the core plot of the movie.

$$$

Major Spoilers Above!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm...then what about this article?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm... What about that article? It simply announced that Tom Hardy has been selected to play Shinzon by Paramount Pictures. The last couple script treatments I read for Nemesis were over on the Ain't It Cool News website. I think it was Dark Horizon and Moriarty who did the spoiling.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Shinzon is a clone of Picard, would he not be played by PATRICK STEWART???

You confuse me much.

MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would depend on how old the clone is. Or did you expect Young Jean-Luc in "Rascals" to be played by Patrick Stewart with a hair-piece?

One wonders *when* the Romulans decided to clone Picard, though. If it was after he first got command of Enterprise, then the clone shouldn't be more than 15 or 16 years old (depending on how long after Voyager the film takes place).

Then again, the Romulans might be able to accelerate growth a bit ... he "ages" a year and a half for every year or so. ::shrug::

Or we could learn about something Picard did on the Stargazer (or after, and before Enterprise) which captured the Romulans' attention to the point they decided to clone him.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

If the clone and Picard were supposed to be the same age, then, yes, they would be played by the same actor (Patrick Stewart). However, Shinzon's emergence in the world of the living only happened twenty-or-so years ago, I remember the treatment correctly. Since the clone is younger than Picard, they have a different actor to portray the younger-Picard-if-he-was-forced-to-be-on-a-dark-slave-world-for-many-many-years.

There are a couple of problems with the plot that I haven't heard about being resolved. One is that if Shinzon is supposed to have pale human features or pale Romulan features. His sidekick is described as appearing somewhat like a vampire with pointed ears. The other is that is Shinzon is only twenty-or-so-years-old, how did the Romulans get their hands on Picard's DNA? Twenty years prior to the setting of Nemesis is still in the Romulan Isolation.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, TPTB have been about as consistent with the "Romulan Isolation" from TNZ as with the Ferengi first contact in Last Outpost.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Okay, Jeff, episode titles belong in quotation marks. Series titles belong in italics or underlined. Thus, your post should have looked like this:

quote:
Well, TPTB have been about as consistent with the "Romulan Isolation" from "The Neutral Zone" as with the Ferengi first contact in "The Last Outpost." By the way, Siegfried, I worship that ground that you walk on. If I was a girl, I'd be on you like peanut butter and bananas on wheat bread.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ahhh ... no.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Yes. That's standard procedure according to protocals. I shall quote from General Order 15, Section 3:

quote:
Episodes are to be denoted in the following manner:

"Episode Title" (Acronymic series title abbreviation [either TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VGR, or ENT.])

Films are denoted in any of the following ways:

Full film title.

Roman Numeral abbreviations. (STI [or STI:SLV, STI: DE], STII, STIII, STIV, STV, STVI, STVII, STVIII, STIX, STX.)

Acronymic abbreviations. (TMP [or TMP:SLV, TMP: DE], TWOK, TSFS, TVH, TFF, TUC, ST:G [or GEN], ST:I [or INS], [Proper abbreviation for STX not yet known.])

Series are denoted in either of these ways:

Full series title.

Acronymic three letter abbreviations. (TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VGR [sometimes incorrectly abbreviated as VOY], or ENT.)

So technically you are in violation of regulations, an deserve the reprimand you have drawn.

-MMoM

(What can I say, Snay? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! I accept my so-called myth!)

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I actually believe that.

Mim: "Did you see the episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One - "The Neutral Zone"?"

Girl: "Uh, eh?"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps