Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Klingo-Romulan Alliance From Birthright Pt. II

Author Topic: Klingo-Romulan Alliance From Birthright Pt. II
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah...the joy of rediscovering old TNG episodes on TNN...

Worf's stuck in the prison camp of the Klingons who were captured at Khitomer. He's talking with the head Romulan who's trying to explain why he did what he did.

At one point he makes a comment that Klingons and Romulans have ALWAYS hated each other and that there has never been peace between the two.

Does this line disprove the Alliance Theory of explaining how the Romulans got Klingon designs?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they could have had a political and military alliance without liking each other, or really having peace. it's possible that they looked at each other, saw that the federation was bigger threat than either of them and a romulan said "hey, our ships suck. if you give us d-7's and their design, we'll give you cloaking devices". the klingons of course say "hell yeah, motherfucker". they never stopped fighting or hating each other, but they relized that it was better to help each other a little than be smashed by starfleet. after all, if you are killed by the federation than you can't enjoy killing your racial enemy the klingons/romulans (depending on whther you are a romulan or klingon, respectively).

--jacob

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The enemy of my enemy, is my friend. At least, for now."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As well as racial hatred I think distrust is the key factor between the two powers. In later years the incident of the Khitomer Massacre being a key event, as well as skirmishes like Narendra III, and the fact that the Romulans saw the Klingons join forces with the Federation, their bitterest rivals.

If there ever was a treaty or an 'Alliance' between the Romulans and the Klingons it was in the very early days, long ago. But on the other hand who's to say designs and technology weren't stolen, rather than shared due to a treaty?

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe there was ever a Romulo-Klingon alliance, anyway. IIRC from "The Enterprise Incident", it was just a Federation report that claimed such. It's entirely possible that that was just something the Feds were guessing, in order to explain the fact that the Romulans seemed to have Klingon ships.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I'm not willing to go quite that far, as I recall Spock doesn't make any speculation about the origin of the Klingon ships in Romulan hands anyway. Just "Intelligence reports Romulans now using Klingon design." As I recall.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question is not about the nature of the Alliance. I'm sure that if there was an Alliance, it was not a very buddy buddy thing by any stretch of the imagination. But I think Toketh's line about there never having been peace between the two would include any alliance, no matter how brief and rascist.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "never peace" line could also be propaganda specifically designed to make the achievements of the prisoners look all the more impressive. Perhaps the older people had a reason to teach this to the youngsters.

Also, an alliance between one Romulan faction and one Klingon faction would not disqualify such a statement - we saw such an alliance during the Klingon civil war, and hints of it all across the preceding TNG episodes, although officially "the Romulans" still hated "the Klingons" and vice versa. Perhaps such factional alliances are actually common in the history of the races, and since they have never stopped the overall fighting, they are dismissed in history writing.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, nationalist propoganda always promotes a lot of inaccurate statements. I'm sure people have strong things to say about Iraq, despite the fact they used to be very much on our better side.

And an uneasy alliance doesnt really equal peace. The USSR and the US both fought Germany in WWII, out of necessity. Once that conflict was put aside, we began a long cold war.. and most people would say the US never had peace with the Communist USSR.. even though we shared that agenda back in the day

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps