Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ds9 "the reckoning"

Author Topic: ds9 "the reckoning"
TorgaDaxIV
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for TorgaDaxIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saw this episode on tv over the weekend. oddly enough, ive never seen it before. couple comments:

i didnt like it when worf yelled at odo for agreeing with sisko on letting the spirits battle on the station. it just didnt seem like something worf would do.

also, i dont really understand why kai winn ended up flooding the station with that chemical and stopping the prophets/pahwraiths. was it because she would be jealous of the fact that sisko was letting his sun die in order to help the bajorans and he would be even more revered?

tricky episode. loved when sisko faced jake in the infirmary. he had to look him in the eye and couldnt explain how he was going to let his sun die. jake, being the man that he is, understood.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked "The Reckoning." It was definitely one of the better Prophet-themed episodes of Deep Space Nine.

I really didn't find Worf's outburst too unusual. Worf is always one to fiercely better for the protection of his superiors and his ship (in this case, station). It's a loyalty issue, and I think that Worf was extremely agitated by what he thought was a not-well-thought-out plan that was certainly going to kill Sisko and destroy the station.

Kai Winn has always been jealous of Sisko and his status as the Emmissary. This is especially evident in "The Final Chapter" arc in Season 7. In this episode, I have to wonder if part of it is out of compassion for Sisko, however. If I remember correctly, didn't Kira and Winn have an argument abut Sisko earlier in the episode? I do remember that she asked forgiveness from the Prophets for the action that she took. Up until the final arc of DS9, Winn has always seemed to me to be power-hungry but steadfastly supportive and in awe of the Prophets (if not their Emmissary). So I think this might have been compassion more than jealousy.

And, yeah, Jake is very understanding of the situation. He acknowledges that his father is special and seems to have this aura of detached sympathy and understanding for the affairs of the Bajorans. This doesn't always show, though, since Jake chose to save his father in "Visionary." Of course, the reason could be that "The Reckoning" was a vital component of Bajoran faith.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Sisko has his own sun? And I thought just being the Emissary was a good deal...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Visionary' was about O'Brien running around in his bathrobe and Romulans.

try 'Rapture'

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, The Reckoning was the first episode where the creators really decided that Sisko was actually the Emissary and the Bajoran faith was essentially "right" even though the Prophets weren't really divine.

Up until this point, there was always this kind of, "Well, we'll go along with it, but he's really just a Starfleet officer that's caught up in all of this stuff" attitude.

I think the series would have been improved by taking a clear stance on this right away and carrying it through a bit more. It seemed to me that they got caught playing catch up at the end. But, yes, I did like this episode. Especially Kira with those glowing blue eyes....GGGRRRROOOOOWLLLLL.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps