Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Colm Meaney, prime-time hero?

Author Topic: Colm Meaney, prime-time hero?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently so. One of "a formidable trio of leading men," at that.

From Chief O'Brien to "captain of an elite secret police unit," with a stopover as a Newfie immigrant along the way. Weird.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And from a co-creater of "Homicide", none the less. Although thats a bit of a misnomer since the TV series borrowed so heavily from the novel, which was based (very strongly) on the reality of a Baltimore homicide squad ... actually, if anyone's read the book, you'll notice that the TV show borrows its stories quite heavily from it.

Speaking of which, why are almost all cop shows set in LA or NY?

Wow! I can't believe David Morse is going back to TV. Now there's a guy who pops up in a lot of movies -- too bad a lot of people don't know who he is. He was great in The Rock and Contact.

[ February 19, 2002, 07:40: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a shame that turning to a TV role is often regarded as a step down, especially when you consider that Platt and Morse are both extremely good actors who often stand out in their (usually supporting) movie roles - for instance, Platt was the best thing in Bicentennial Man. Now we get the chance to see them on TV every week.

But, on the other hand. . . a taxi driver who fights crime? Hmm. It'd be good if it's really well done, nice and dark, but if it's too dark you get Brimstone. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was really disappointed that there was so much going on in DS9 that O'Brien couldnt get more screen time.. i mean DS9 had a larger than normal regular cast, and also about twice as many supporting characters that were incredibly good, there were no real spotlight shows in the last half of the series.. i always get thrilled when i see Meaney in something else cuz he rocks as an actor.

I just read a great anecdote from 'The Wounded' when Miles was scooping potatoes onto Keiko's plate, and they kept messing up the scene, and finally there was one take where it went fine, except he dropped a chunk of potato on the table. So he popped it in his mouth and kept delivering his lines. When the director cut it, he asked why it didnt work.
"You put the potato in your mouth"
"That's what O'Brien would do"
"But the ship.. it cleans itself."
"But I got to it FIRST!"

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would be great to find that blooper somewhere on the net.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard Dreyfus and Martin Sheen have both gone to the small screen recently (although I don't think Dreyfus had much luck).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Richard Dreyfus and Martin Sheen have both gone to the small screen recently (although I don't think Dreyfus had much luck).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else see the SNL with Kevin Spacey with the lost Star Wars screen tests? Daryl Hammond as Richard Dreyfus as C3PO was pretty damned funny.

*goes all nasally*
"Sir, my first job was programming binary load lifters, quite similar to your vaporators in most respects...Dammit, I don't need this. I was in Jaws."*stops going all nasally*

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told you, i didnt want to wear the mask!!!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps