Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Interview in LA Times-Rick Berman on new series (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Interview in LA Times-Rick Berman on new series
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timeline
Series begins in
Sept 2002
Sept 2000 (fasttrack)

Berman says: "I'm sure whatever we do next will be different, because we want the ability to do something that challenges us, and that takes change. Whatever the next television series, we hope its dramatically different but still embodies all the visions of Gene Roddenberry's idea of the future."

From I have been reading, Voyager is sinking fast and according to one rumer cancelled by December. I believe this is why there is a fasttrack date.

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager is only sinking fast because of the lack of UPN primary affiliates.

------------------
Vreenak: "The man who started the war with the Dominion... Somehow I thought you'd be taller." (DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight")

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Voyager is sinking for many reasons. Elim Garak stated one. Another is the quality of the writing.
Simon
Ex-Member

If they create a new series will it be able to avoid the curse of being on UPN?
Trinculo
Ex-Member

To answer Simon's question, there is a debate among Mr. Berman and his associates wheter the show will syndicated or on a network.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quality of writing is a matter of opinion; the fact that they're losing affiliates is not. If Voyager was seen as much as DS9, it would have the better ratings, and not only because it's on network television.

------------------
Vreenak: "The man who started the war with the Dominion... Somehow I thought you'd be taller." (DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight")

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The writting has been bad at times, and pretty good at others, like the episode were it crashed into the Ice(class M) planet, and Chacotay says "Looks like they hit the planet at full Impulse". if they had hit at full Impulse, there wouldn't have been anything to find.

When The Rod was running things, they made mistakes. Now it seems they just don't care. Like the fact that they should be in the Beta Q by now. They don't want them there yet, so they ignore all that they themselves have written, and keep them in the Delta. I'm just glad Krenim went to the trouble of doing all the math.

------------------
THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE

Trinculo
Ex-Member

There are at least two camps on the Voyager issue: those who really like the show and those who really don't like the show. I happen to fall in the latter. However, out of respect, I will refrain from making snide and vicious remarks about the series, even if they are justified.

[This message was edited by Trinculo on June 03, 1999.]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I work for the stinkin paper and I didn't see it!

At any rate, they ran another article on DS9 which you can read here: Deep-Sixed 'Nine' Runs Out of Space.

And you can read the entire article that Trinculo mentions here: Keep On Trekking.

------------------
I am selling only the concept of karmic realignment.
You can't sell that! Karma can only be portioned out by the cosmos.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our one person inside the organization, and he's behind. Don't let it happen again.

------------------
"Near the door! They leave reality inside!"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed Master.

------------------
I am selling only the concept of karmic realignment.
You can't sell that! Karma can only be portioned out by the cosmos.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excalabur, that's not a good example of poor writing. Saying they hit the planet at full impulse. That's not even the writers fault, that' Okuda and Sternbach's fault for not correcting the script.

Bad writing is not getting (what are essentially) unnecessary picky science details wrong. Bad writing is writing dull and monotonous stories.

One area DS9 has at least tried to improve is to cut down on tecnobabble. Behr has admitted to hating it. And ignores it when necessary. Look at 'Far Beyond the Stars'. A great episode, with almost no explanation given at the time. Does that make it bad? No.

Look at Cause and Effect (TNG). The shows premise, that getting blown up somehow brings everyone back to life and resets the ships clocks to 30 hours ago, is scientifically ludicrous. But its still a great story.

And on the distance thing. How many times in TNG did the Enterprise get out of communications range of Starfleet? To get out of communications range (enough so that replise would take a week)would require them to travel from the edge of the Federation for a good couple of months at maximum warp, which they obviously didn't do.
Likewise, has it ever, ever, EVER beed said (apart from the hints in STVI) that the Klingon Empire and Romulan Empires are actually IN the Beta Quadrant? In fact, has their ever been an official on-screen map showing where Voyager's actual position is? Their exact entry point in the Delta Quadrant? Until there is, you can't be exactly sure where they are. They haven't been travlelling in a straight line, they've gone back on themselves more that once, they've been hit by enough blue anomalies for them to start their own collection. Are you REALLY sure you know where they are?

And in the end run, none of that matters. Voyager's situation is a means to an end, telling good stories. Judge the stories for what they are, not on whether they've remembered that travelling at warp 7.1 is impossible within 1 light-yearof a subverton quardenar.

------------------
'There's no meat in beer, right?'
-Joey Tribiani

JC2astro
Ex-Member

Actually, in Year of H*LL, there WAS a map of Voyager's progress to date shown on the new Astrometric's lab.

------------------
-----
Please excuse the bad spelling.

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Common sense tells me that if you want to write a sci-fi story, know some freaking science. Or quit.

Full impulse, whether that be a quarter or half the speed of light, would not have only utterly vaporized Voyager, but cause grave damage to the planet it crashed on as well. For a line of dialogue to indicate such is blalant lack of attention to detail and should not be tolerated for a SCI-FI show at all. Incredibility is not favored upon.

JC2astro
Ex-Member

Sorry for yelling....

First off, FULL IMPULSE IS NOT REAL! The only thing, which says what this phrase could mean, is the Tec manual, which is fan fiction, after all. (Ok, the guy works for the show, but he wrote the book as a FAN for a FAN. Personally, I could ramble and ramble about all the bad science in that book, like the author's "scientific explanation" for "full impulse," etc.) If the first officer said, "Looks like they hit the planet at 100,000 Km/S," then I'd be angry. The reason they used "full impulse" is because they don't know that much about science. That's why the writers used an ambiguous term.

Secondly, if the first officer said, �Looks like they hit the planet hard,� then none of us would be talking about this. The writing can be bad at times, but then the only person I know to be a good writer is good old Billy Shakespeare. Pesonally, I enjoyed the episode in question.

------------------
-----
Please excuse the bad spelling.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps