Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "The Voyager Conspiracy" Distance question ($$$)

Author Topic: "The Voyager Conspiracy" Distance question ($$$)
Chris
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Just a simple question from a German fan who can't usually see Voyager episodes until 2 years after they have aired in the USA.

Is it right that Voyager travelled 30 sectors = 3 years of journey (???) in The Voyager Conspiracy?

That would be another bad, bad error, because 30 sectors are 600 ly, and 3 years of journey would be about 3000 ly! I read this on the DeltaBlues page, but perhaps it's an error. At least I hope so.

------------------

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
1. SPOILER WARNINGS!!!
2. Wrong Forum.
3. Thread closed & transfered.
4. Report to Disintegration Booth immediately.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
I have changed the thread title to something less idiotic. In the spirit of the season, I will show leniency. Report to the Wedgie Booth instead. 8)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: I'm afraid it's true. But then, in "Pathfinder", we find out that Voyager's average speed is actually only warp 6.2. Now, this doesn't quite reconcile the 3 years/30 sectors issue, but I recently discussed this w/ Krenim, and here's the mindset I came away with:

Voyager, when cruising, goes at the 933.3ly/y that we figured out a while back.

Due to all the stopping and exploring they do, their average speed is slower (meaning, if we take the actual distance they end up travelling in a straight line and divide it by the time it took, we'll get warp 6.2, as stated in "Pathfinder").

When they skip over a large distance and say "we've gone 10000ly, taking ten years off our trip), the "ten years" is how long it would have taken w/o stopping. If they had actually covered this distance normally, all the stoppping and exploring would have resulted in a longer time.

Now, that explains the discrepancy between ~1000ly/y and warp 6.2. However, there's still the problem of the three years and 30 sectors. Even at a diagonal, the longest distance that 30 sectors can cover is about 1040ly, which is only 2.4 years, even at an average of warp 6.2. So, here's what I think. "Thirty sectors" is the actual distance they travelled in a straght line. The reason that it would have taken three years to go that far normally is that there was something there that they had to go around. Perhaps there was some hostile race whose space they had to avoid, or something to that effect. Whatever it may have been, it would have taken three years to go around it, but the catapult flung them straight through it, so they only actually crossed thirty sectors.

------------------
"Gee, do they still make wooden Christmas trees?"
-Linus van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, according to my calculations from what I said above, I get that Voyager is just under 26000ly away now, meaning they have less than 1000ly before they hit the beta quadrant.

------------------
"Gee, do they still make wooden Christmas trees?"
-Linus van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the most simple explanation possible... the writers relized Voyager was getting too close to Earth and decided to set it back some. I have 22,474..from by subtracting the jumps since the 35,000 figure given in "Equinox" and assuming Voyager traveled 600ly in "TVC".

Of course I'm probably wrong, but until a better more accurate number comes up I'll stick with it and ignore Barclay's line. Although I also agree with TSN as well.

------------------
Calvin: "I'm a man of few words."
Hobbes: "Maybe if you read more, you'd have a larger vocabulary."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited December 04, 1999).]

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps