Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » DeForrest Kelley, 1920-1999 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DeForrest Kelley, 1920-1999
Brigman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DeForrest Kelley passed away today.

I don't know all the details. I heard the news on 96.5 KOIT while driving home. I was so stunned I was two miles down the road before I realized I'd missed my exit.

He was 79 years old.

I met Mr. Kelley once when I was a teenager. He was charming, funny and gracious. All I can say of his passing, is that he brought the world something, and left it richer for his having been, and poorer for his having left. As Dr. Leonard H. McCoy, he brought the human side of us to the Final Frontier. The caring, compassionate side, and most importantly the side of us all that must not be lost in the technobabble, the machinery, the efficiency. He showed us that what's really important is caring for one another, and never losing sight of the PEOPLE around you.

James Kirk once said of Spock, although I think it fits DeForrest Kelley better:

"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

God bless, De. You will be missed.

------------------
Peace!
Brigs

[This message was edited by Brigman on June 11, 1999.]

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelley suffered from a collapsed colon and troubles with emphezema. His wife was in the hospital room next to him. They had both been in the hospital for a couple of months. This day was bound to happen, and it just has.

"He's dead, Jim"

*bows head*

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was the truly human side of Star Trek. He will be missed.
Feste
Ex-Member

I can't put it better than Brigman. So long, Bones. It was good to know you.

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

I just posted a thread on this in the Officers Lounge, before I saw this one. I feel I said everything I needed to there.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*saddened*

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a sad day. He was a great actor. I wish his family the best.

------------------
Garak: Interesting. You saved the day by destroying the world.
Bashir: I bet they didn't teach you that in the Obsidian Order.

-Deep Space Nine, "Our Man Bashir."

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*siiiiighs*

Sad news. :*(

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*stunned silence*

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shocked*

He gave Star Trek this different side which broke away from the seriousness of other events. His often humorous lines endeared him to the audience and he was loved by everyone.

We have all lost a mentor and friend. He will be truly missed.

*sits silently for a while*

------------------
The public has spoken. Common sense has prevailed. We have been returned what was wrongly taken away from us. All hail COCO POPS!!

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very much the most genuinely "human" character in all of Trek. As such one of the most loved.

The character lives on, and so does the memory of the remarkable man who portrayed him for so long.

He is sorely missed.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

I never heard a bad word about DeForrest Kelley. In fact, from all I've ever heard of him, he was the voice of reason in a sea of egos. He was a fantastic actor, and not only for Star Trek.

Gonna miss him.

Ironically, I'd just finished the last details of a model of McCoy for my girlfriend the night before last.

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I never knew him from anything else than trek, and I know nothing about how he was in real life so with so many bad actors around it's hard to say how good he really was, and I know nothing about how he was in real life but I always figured "hey, this guy sounds like a nice bloke" and he will be missed.

Now I personally don't belief people rest in peace but what the hell, rest in peace.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

In which what the hell was meant in a good way, of course.

RW
Member # 27

And I feel I must tell that I was not shocked when I heard -well, read- the news. I guess this means one of two things:

1)I'm getting very detached from everything trek

2)I'm an asshole with a heart of stone

not sure which :[

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps